Mr.Beer Community
McDammit

Yet another noob question!

Fermenting my first ever batch right at this moment. I ordered the filling wand, which comes with a spigot. Does this mean I will NOT be able to use the wand on my current batch? Or will the wand attach to current spigot? My apologies if this has been covered, I did look. Happy new year everyone, and great new beers too.

• Like 1

I'm just guessing, but I'd say that the wand itself will probably attach to the spigot that came with the kit. I mean, it would complicated things if its all one piece. That wand would have to be hanging off the edge of something, or worse, have to be kinked up somehow for the entire fermentation.

• Like 1

You should have gotten a short piece of tubing with the wand. One end goes on the spigot, the other end goes on the wand.

• Like 1

Yes, but will it attach to the spigot that came with the LBK? Or only to the spigot that comes with the wank kit?

• Like 1

It should fit the spigot that is on the LBK if it is a current LBK.  I have an old style spigot on one of my LBKs from 2002 that it WON'T fit on, so I may transfer the beer into another container to bottle it.  Or bottle it the old fashioned way - tilt the bottle, press the button and fill away.

• Like 1

The spigot picture on the site with the want is different from any on LBKs I have.

I would try to fit it on the one you have & see. I am sure you can do that while the LBK is full if you are careful. I looks like the flex pipe connects the want to the spigot, so the flex pipe should fit into the new spigot opening.If the flex pipe adaptor does not fit then you will have to do it the old fashioned way and just use the new spigot next time. You could see if the flex pipe fits OVER the older spigot outlet which looks narrower.

• Like 1

My new LBK and spigot.

20150101_152818_zpslqt74tx5.jpg

My old LBK and spigot.

20150101_152825_zpshqr7kdak.jpg

The filling wand and spigot that came with it.

20150101_152857_zps5c0nozwt.jpg

So if you have the new style spigot, it should look just like the one that came with the wand and should work just fine.

That is what I have and thanks for the definitive pics. I have the new style.

Sorry, I was wrong. I was looking at the Mr B picture wrongly. It is same as pics above and also same as what I got. The flex hose should fit over the outlet pipe fine to connect it to the wand.

FWIW I've been told that the wand fits inside the old style spigot.

When I was cleaning everything before the batch went in, I looked closely at that spigot. The mechanism is a round rubber tube inside the outer tube that is pushed away from the opening by a wire attached to the button. Not sure if the wand attaching tubing or the wand itself will fit inside it without interfering with the sealing tube or not. I'll check when I bottle and see what it looks like. No way to lock it open, so the only thing saved would be aeration.

No problem. I wasn't saying "You're wrong!", just that the wand may have necessitated the spigot change, or the design of the old spigot was the reason for the change which allowed the design/development of the bottling wand.

Whatever. As long as the beer is good!

• Like 1

I didn't think you were C-ya. I just wanted to be clear that I was not passing on firsthand information.  (BTW that was supposedly, inside without the tubing.) I don't even use MrB wands anymore.  I batch prime and I put a larger spigot on my bottling bucket and in turn got a larger wand. It takes about half the time to bottle.

• Like 2

If you want to bottle directly from the Mr. Beer fermenter, a 3/8" hose fits over the spigot. The bottle filler wand then goes into the opposite end of the hose. Your life will be easier with a longer piece of hose. Here's the setup, minus the bottle filler wand. Hope this helps.

IMG_20150102_191404_113_zps05a9c3ba.jpg?

Were would you get such a hose like that were it is clean enough I know the hardware store has that but not sure how to clean one out lol

hardware store..food grade nylon hose...   I think 3/8" diameter . get a good length of it like 6 ft though smaller lengths work just as well.

make a bucket of starsan solution.  hand wash the tubing in warm soapy water. run cold water through it to rinse hose. immerse the hose in the star san solution for about 2 minutes..completely immerse... getting the air out so it sinks.   

when you take it out of bucket you could plug one end with your finger (clean of course) to trap star san in the hose.... then up end it and allow star san to run out.

if youre really paranoid... increase soaking time and repeat a few times.

when youre done bottling, take the bottling wand apart carefully... don't let the spring go SPROING and get lost.  wash everything.. hose... parts of wand... dry... tada.

to dry the inside of the tubing I made a highly technical tool....   I took fishing line and attached to a needle.  on the other end I tie a narrow wad of clean paper towel. insert needle into tube end and have wife hold other end with the line excess.  use a strong magnet to gently pull the needle through hose.  feed paper towel into hose and carefully/slowly draw it through.  tada.  just be careful that the towel doesn't come off inside the hose.. and that the needle doesn't scratch up the inside of the hose.

or just twirl entire length of hose overhead for a few minutes then hang on a clothesline to dry on its own. 

edit:  be advised that getting the hose off the end of the spigot or the wand can sometimes be a pain. don't  pull it off because the hose will stretch and narrow , tightening on the wand...   twist it off... if really stuck on soak connection in hot water for a minute then try again.  if the hose gets stretched out of shape on the connections, you would get an airtight fit and youll get air bubbles in the line.

It will fit the spigot on your lbk.  They just gave you an extra one.

Were would you get such a hose like that were it is clean enough I know the hardware store has that but not sure how to clean one out lol

I got the tubing at the local homebrew store for 42 cents a foot, but you can use 3/8" vinyl tubing from the hardware store. No matter where you get it, just submerge it in your sanitizing solution and rinse (or not, depending on the solution used). Btw it's probably not a big deal, but you don't really have to spend a lot of time drying the inside of the hose. Just sanitize it and rinse it well (if you're not using a no-rinse sanitizer) right before you use it, then flush it out (or sanitize it again if you wish) so a bunch of crap doesn't get built up inside it. They do make 48" line brushes for 3/8 tubing if yours get a little crusty, they cost about 5 bucks.

If you want to use a bottling wand, the same 3/8 inch tubing will connect it to the spigot. Just cut a 2-3 inch section. The tubing fits over the spigot and the wand fits into the tubing. That is what I have been using for the last 4 years.