Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Travis Eidson

Dumb Question

I am new to brewing, currently brewing my first batch. I have been reading a ton on brewing and on the post and am a little confused. I am following the directions on the American Porter and it had me ferment from 12/26 to 1/2 and then bottle until the 1/16. Is this correct? Should I wait longer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ferment 3 weeks, bottle and let sit for 4 weeks.

Welcome from another new brewer.

• Like 1

Hello.  Welcome aboard.

Going by the guidelines of the experienced people on this forum agree 3-4-3 .. 3 weeks fermenting 4 weeks conditioning and 3 days fridge right before drinking.  Even though documentation of Mr. Beer says sooner than that.  I would stick with the 3-4-3.  Most beer that I brewed just tastes better and better the longer it conditions.  But 100% of the time 3 weeks fermenting is a must. 

• Like 1

Travis Eidson, on 01 Jan 2015 - 7:40 PM, said:

I am new to brewing, currently brewing my first batch. I have been reading a ton on brewing and on the post and am a little confused. I am following the directions on the American Porter and it had me ferment from 12/26 to 1/2 and then bottle until the 1/16. Is this correct? Should I wait longer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

from the American porter instructions:

1. Remove the yeast packet from under the lid of the can of hopped malt extract (HME), then place the unopened can in hot tap water.a
  2. Using the measuring cup, pour 4 cups of water into your clean 3-quart or larger pot. Bring water to a boil, and then remove from heat. Open the can of HMEb and pour it into the hot water. Stir until thoroughly mixed. This mixture of unfermented beer is called wort.
  3. Fill keg with cold tap water to the 4-quart mark on the back.c
  4. Pour the wort into the keg, and then bring the volume of the keg to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more cold water. Stir vigorously with the spoon or whisk. d
  5. Sprinkle the yeast packet into the keg, and screw on the lid. Do not stir.
  6. Put your keg in a location with a consistent temperature between 68°and 76° F (20°-25° C) and out of direct sunlight.e Ferment for 14 days.f    <---------------

the instructions don't tell you that it's done fermenting in one week.  the minimal time for a good ferment is 2 weeks. we recommend 3.

Thanks, stupid mistake on my part.

the only 'stupid mistake' is one you don't learn from and repeat again and again.   if you ever read something from someone here that sounds a bit terse or harsh, understand that no one is trying to humiliate or make anyone feel dumb.  sometimes words don't read with the same intent posted.  that being said, welcome aboard!  take your time, have fun and enjoy the ride.  you'll get as much out of brewing as you are willing to put into it.  oh, and there are no 'dumb questions' either. 

the really OLD mr beer instructions implied that you would have beer in 10 days I think. you might have gotten the old instructions.  after enough ppl complained to them, they finally changed it to reflect a more reasonable ferment time of 2 weeks... though we've found 3 to be best in many cases. 

• Like 2