Mr.Beer Community
Ky's Guy

Sugar....?

So I am trying my third batch that I have made...the first two came with the home kit and then I tried (drinking it now) one of the wheat beers.  The first, which was a lager tastes the same as this third wheat beer batch.  Tastes almost like a flat beer but with some bitterness...I followed the brewing instructions to the letter, only adding a week to the fermentation and conditioning respectively.  The first thing that comes to mind is that I am using granulated sugar....could that be the common denominator in preventing my beer from having the various flavors expected?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and assistance...

Ferment 3 weeks, bottle condition 4 weeks. Granulated table sugar, used for bottling, is correct. If you are fermenting with it, that's a bad idea.

All of Mr. Beer'Beer's refills are ales, not lagers. A few recipes use lager yeast. Wheat uses wheat malt extract and special yeast.

• Like 1

As RickBeer said table sugar is just fine to carb with. More information please. How long in the fermenter, How long in the bottles? If you followed the 2-2-2 that could be the problem. We recommend 3 weeks in the LBK and 4 weeks in the bottle @ room temperature, and only 3 days in the fridge. (just the ones you intend to drink let the others age more.)

Thanks for the inputs...I have fermented for either 3 or 4 weeks (no sugar during that) and bottle conditioned for 2-3 weeks before putting in the fridge for 2 weeks minimum.  I sterilize as required...perhaps some remaining sterization in the bottles could do it...?

take them back out of the fridge and let them warm up then let them sit for 2 more weeks 3 weeks in the LBK, 4 weeks in the bottle @ room temp. only need 3 days fridge time

If you're using the one step sanitizer that comes with the kit that shouldn't affect the beer, assuming you shake them out after sanitizing.