Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sdrake

Different Yeasts

I have a basic question as I'm going to start a batch tomorrow that uses a W-34/70 dry lager yeast and a 51-59F temperature range.

Suppose I make 2 LBKs of this recipe. In one, I use the W-34/70 yeast with the 51-59F temperature range.  In a 2nd, I use the standard yeast that Mr. Beer puts under the can's plastic lid with the 68-76F temperature range.  In what ways will the beer be different in these 2 LBKs?  How does each yeast ferment differently?  Isn't each turning sugars into alcohol and CO2?

I have a basic question as I'm going to start a batch tomorrow that uses a W-34/70 dry lager yeast and a 51-59F temperature range.

Suppose I make 2 LBKs of this recipe. In one, I use the W-34/70 yeast with the 51-59F temperature range.  In a 2nd, I use the standard yeast that Mr. Beer puts under the can's plastic lid with the 68-76F temperature range.  In what ways will the beer be different in these 2 LBKs?  How does each yeast ferment differently?  Isn't each turning sugars into alcohol and CO2?

You will find if brewed at the right temp. range 34/70 will come out a cleaner lager. Fromunda will be a ale, both can be good beer, but if you are looking for a lager and take the extra effort to brew it right it will be better. Fromunda  yeast(under the lid) is ale yeast and is top fermenting, lager yeast is bottom  fermenting. My favorite recommendation is to use us-05 ale yeast fermented on the low side for a clean lager like beer.

the W-34/70 will have a crispness about it .

How does each yeast ferment differently?

Ask an easy one next time. :) Your just going to have to start reading about yeast  here's a place to start; http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/yeast-in-your-beer.html

You can look up the properties of the yeast on manufacturer's websites which explains what each yeast imparts.

The yeast produce other compounds and not just ethanol. These lend characteristic flavors to the malts they ferment. Lager yeasts, in general, produce "cleaner" tastes. Earthy, fruity, spicy, floral are some of the descriptions often used for ale yeasts. You didn't mention which extract or grains you are using, or any hops. Could be an interesting experiment if the only variables are the yeast and temperature (and I would assume fermentation and conditioning time). 

Thanks.  Those were all great answers.   Top fermenting vs. bottom fermenting.  Produces different compounds.

It's the Mad Ludwig's Marzen recipe.  1 Oktoberfest HME, 2 Pale LMEs, a muslin bag of hops and the lager yeast.  I previously made one with the under-the-lid yeast with 1 Oktoberfest HME & 1 Pale LME.  So I will kind of have my comparison brews when this recipe is ready to drink.

But I admit that I don't know the difference between an ale and a lager.  I even get confused between a Coke and a Pepsi.

But I admit that I don't know the difference between an ale and a lager.  I even get confused between a Coke and a Pepsi.

Coke makes you belch more and has a harsher flavor.

I have made lots of beer in the 2.5 years I have been brewing. I have never made a lager, nor used liquid yeast. Did one split batch with two dry yeasts, one went bad so no comparison.

I brew recipes, and drink a few beers per week, 6 in a heavy week. With a 7+ week time frame, and my consumption, I don't see much reason to try to draw out flavors that I likely won't taste or if I do I won't enjoy.

After I bottle a red next week ( I used a German version of one of the hops with a slightly higher AA%), I will brew another batch of a Bell's Best Brown clone. Looking to clone New Holland Cabin Fever if I can find a recipe. I need to replenish the nearly 3 cases drank by family during a just completed 3,000 mile swing through Florida.

I do spilt batches I get from my LHBS and use a different yeast for each LBK. I do use a yeast that is designed for the beer I'm brewing and I find a slight difference in taste of each of the beers. don't think I've used a lager yeast for a Ale yet but may happen now that you mention it.

RickBeer, on 03 Jan 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

Coke makes you belch more and has a harsher flavor.

:lol:  :lol: :lol: