Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
theremper

Priming Sugar Question

The directions say use 2 carbo drops or 2 tsp for the 740ml. Yet in another forum I read that is way to much and might cause the bottle to explode

it said to use 1/2tbsp of sugar

if I use the 2 carbo drops will the bottles explode or be over carbonated

or should I go with the 1/2tbsp of sugar

Out of context and wrong measure...

Half liter bottles and teaspoons....

• Like 1

Mr. Beer's carb levels will not make bottles explode. Some think they over carb beer, and use less, like 65 - 75%.

For a 740 ml bottle, they recommend 2 carb drops, which is 2 teaspoons. There are three teaspoons in a tablespoon, so 1/2 tablespoon would be 1.5 teaspoons or 75% of Mr. Beer's recommended levels.

On a recent post the OP said he ran out of bottles using carb drops, and we pointed out that he likely has half liter (500ml) bottles, not 740ml and therefore 2 drops is too much.

You cannot ask a carb question without specifying bottle size...

Screwy's calculator is helpful to determine exact amounts for batch priming. Differing between grams is difficult when bottle priming.

The directions say use 2 carbo drops or 2 tsp for the 740ml. Yet in another forum I read that is way to much and might cause the bottle to explode

it said to use 1/2tbsp of sugar

if I use the 2 carbo drops will the bottles explode or be over carbonated

or should I go with the 1/2tbsp of sugar

FWIW i'd use 1.75 teaspoons per 740 ml. So the guy who said 1/2 tablespoon was pretty close. Most carb drops I've seen are intended to be used 1 per 12 oz bottle, so 2 drops would be about right for 740 ml.

Gopers6 so does "most carb drops" include the Mr.Beer carb drops? i was thinking theirs said 3/4 carb drop for a 12 oz bottle. Thanks

Mr. Beer's carb drops are suggested at 3/4 per 12 oz bottle.  http://www.mrbeer.com/mrbeer-carbonation-drops 

MR.BEER® CARBONATION DROPS

FOR USE INSTEAD OF PRIMING SUGAR WHEN BOTTLING.

Carbonation Drops are a convenient, no mess, no fuss alternative to priming sugar. Each package contains 22 drops.

Dosage:
1 drop per 500ml Bottle
2 drops per 750ml Bottle
2 and a half drops Per 1 liter Bottle

PRIMING SUGAR CHART

Bottle
Size
Carbo              Drops      Table Sugar

1 Liter (most kits)       2 1/2      2 1/2 tsp

1/2 Liter                       1           1 tsp

12 Ounce                   3/4         3/4 tsp

16 Ounce                    1            1 tsp

20 Ounce                  1 1/2       1 1/4 tsp

22 Ounce                  1 1/2       1 1/2 tsp

32 Ounce (1 Quart)   2 1/2       2 1/2 tsp

1/2 Liter (500ml)        1             1 tsp

3/4 Liter (750ml)        2             2 tsp 

1 Liter                        2 1/2       2 1/2 tsp

2 Liter                        5             1 1/2 Tbls

3 Liter                        7 1/2       2 1/4 Tbls

tsp = teaspoon
Tbls = Tablespoon

NOTE: Carbo Drops can be easily cut in half using a pill cutter.

• Like 2

So from your experience is 3/4 tsp. a little too much for the 12 oz. bottle? It seems like a lot of people say their measurements are too much. I'm just paranoid and dont want to mess up my first batch that after 7 weeks of waiting!

Using MrBeer's sugar amounts ain't gonna mess up your beer. Just might be a little more fizzy than you like, that's all.

The right amount is what you like.  I went from Mr. Beer's recommended levels to roughly 65% of Mr. Beer's recommended levels.  The reality is that if you put in 1/2 teaspoon or just under 1/2 or just over 1/2 you'll never notice the difference.  I suggest you put in 1/2 tsp in a few bottles (and mark them) and 3/4 teaspoon in a few bottles (and mark them), then mail the rest to me (see address below).  Then compare them side by side when they are ready and see what YOU like.

Also, it differs by style.  Dark beers like Stouts and Porters have lower carbonation levels in the real world.  When you get more experienced, use the calculator at www.screwybrewer.com and experiment.  And then move to batch priming, where you put all the sugar (after dissolving in water) in a 2.5 gallon container, add the beer, gently mix, and then bottle - and every bottle comes out consistent.  That's for the future.

Address to mail the other bottles to (please put in exactly 65% of Mr. Beer's recommended levels):

RickBeer

123 I Will Drink Your Beer Way

Ann Arbor, MI  48105

• Like 1

i would definetly send them to you but you dont like light beer....haha. FYI expect a ton of batch priming questions in the distant future

i would definetly send them to you but you dont like light beer....haha. FYI expect a ton of batch priming questions in the distant future

Sure, turn my logic back on me.  Sheesh.   ;)

Noobs aren't supposed to read things and comprehend them, so I thought I would get away with it.   :ph34r:

• Like 1