Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dsiemens2

First time brewing question

So I'm brewing my own beer for the first time and I'm in my first week I had a really good yeast cake going and I think the fermentation was well on it's way. Today, In testing the Temp I shook up the brew, accidentally .  The Yeast cake at the bottom of the keg has been displaced.  Is it ok to do that or did I ruin my batch.

Sorry in advance for the simple question.

Dave

It is ruined.  Bottle it up and ship it to me for disposal.

RickBeer

123 I Will Drink Your Beer Lane

Ann Arbor, MI  48105

I have to ask - how are you "testing the temp"?  You should have a thermometer strip on the side of the LBK that gives you a readout at all times. 

Stirring things up will likely kick fermentation into gear again, no harm done.  Wait 3 weeks from the start, then bottle for 4 weeks (at room temp).

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply.  I'm heading down to the store now to get a Thermometer strip.

Thanks,

Dave

Welcome and have fun.  A side note on the thermometer strip.  Keeping that temp in the range that is required (all depends on your yeast and style of beer) is very important also.  When its in the active fermentation stage it will generate a lil more heat since its doing its magic in there.