Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
urh684

name brand beer

what recipe  or refill for bud ?  bud has 5% abv  some refills have only 3.7% thanks.

Bud is a lager not an ale and I believe they use rice as an adjunct. Also, aside from not being an ale, (different yeast and fermentation) it is not bottle carbonated or conditioned, and very mildly hopped. You can brew a mild ale, lightly hopped, and add extra malt to boost alcohol (with the bonus of more flavor too).  Check the MB web site for recipes or someone might post one here. Personally speaking  - you will make a better beer than Bud with the MB kit.

None. No name brand beer is replicated by a Mr. Beer refill. All basic refills come in around 3.1%.

what recipe  or refill for bud ?  bud has 5% abv  some refills have only 3.7% thanks.

Doing the Classic American Light Deluxe refill (it's 2 for 1 right now) as a lager might get you in the ballpark. That would mean fermenting in the low 50s with something like the Saflager 34/70 yeast. Using Nottingham yeast in the low 60s would be an alternative for a pseudo-lager.

To get the abv up A LITTLE you could always add a little LME or DME.  It will also cut down on the bitterness and may come in closer to a Bud.

MrB doesnt really market anything like a Bud since you can buy that for less than you can make it so why bother?  I buy my Old Milwaukee, but I make my own IPAs, stouts, etc.

Using the American Light and adding about 1/2 lb of light DME should get you in the 5% ABV ballpark and taste MUCH better than Bud. It will still be an ale, and as you likely know Bud is an American Lager. I think as you continue to brew your tastes will gravitate to more flavorful beers. I cut my drinking teeth on Bud and Miller High life 40 years ago, but no longer can drink either one of them. To each his own. I won't judge you for drinking American Lagers.

i plan on brewing many types of beer just like many of you have ,my next  purchase will be more lbk.can't wait to start next batch but in this hobby patience is key. 

• Like 1

Like it has been said, since we don't sell rice and corn adjuncts, you will not be able to make something that tastes like Bud will just not happen.  As you brew more and more, you will find that the flavors that come through will be much better than what Bud may taste like.

Not even after mowing my lawn on the hottest day of the year, would I drink the pee water (as RickBeer illustrated) that some companies call beer. I'm not a snob, i just like real beer (ales).

• Like 1

Brian, I like good beer, but I'm not turning down whatever someone is offering. After all, my favorite beers are free and yours. They don't even have to be cold.

• Like 1

After 26 years of drinking beer my tastes have gone from the Budweiser type beers to the more finely crafted and more expensive craft beers. But, since I'm fermenting my first batch of homebrew it looks like my tastes will again be moving to a simple beer (Classic American Light standard brew is fermenting now) until I get used to this new art.  My ultimate goal is to start simple and then work my way to a more complex, very hoppy tasting, homebrewed IPA. 

• Like 1

Before I found homebrewing or craft beers, I refused any Miller product, most AB also, opting for soda or water. I will drink a Coors if I have to, but Amstel is the only light beer I will drink. Most of it is awful.

• Like 1

Right now, Im drinkin a CAL with smooth LME added. Not bad at all. Waiting for my wake me up sunday morning stout to finish conditioning. Still have a few weeks on that one. So for now, its my CAL, Black Butte porter, or Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Right now, Im drinkin a CAL with smooth LME added. Not bad at all. Waiting for my wake me up sunday morning stout to finish conditioning. Still have a few weeks on that one. So for now, its my CAL, Black Butte porter, or Sam Adams Boston Lager.

I have a growler of Rohrbach's Scotch Ale (local brewery) and two pint bottles of Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard Ale I'm saving for my birthday party. My wife and I are currently working on a 12 of Sam Adams Winter Favorites. I'm actually drinking a pint of the White Christmas now. 

The other day I dumped a pound of dark DME in with the American Light extract. My OG was 1.055, final should be around 1.014, putting it around 5.4% (knock on wood). Normally I would say to add some hops too, but if you're trying to replicate Bud you're probably not that concerned about hop flavor.  :D

If you don't want extra maltiness, use booster.

It puts up the ABV and does not change the flavor but adds some mouth feel and better foam retention.

My current favorite refreshing light beer with that is 1 can American light, 1 pack booster, 0.5 oz Cascade hops put in to water (in bag) after it has boiled, and put it in with fermenting.

This is light and much better than Bud. You get probably 4.5%-5%. I have not measured.

If you like it more malty use a softpack of Pale or Golden instead of the booster.

Not even after mowing my lawn on the hottest day of the year, would I drink the pee water (as RickBeer illustrated) that some companies call beer. I'm not a snob, i just like real beer (ales).

Well, some people may say that is snobby... :P

But I can honestly say the same.  I will however say that I can appreciate what those humongous breweries do.  Can you imagine trying to make the same thing over and over again at countless breweries.  Granted that they have systems in place to help more than any homebrewer, but they are doing something right.  They are also making what people are buying. 

I would not turn down a Bud Light if it was given to me because drinking beer with friends is great fun either way.  I even had a Mickeys the other night just for old times sake.  Drinking good beer with friends is even better though and that is what we are all here for.

We had a slogan a few years back that we could revive....Your Beer, Your Way.  I think it fits.

Cheers to making good homebrew. 

• Like 2

MRB Rick, on 11 Jan 2015 - 12:01 AM, said:MRB Rick, on 11 Jan 2015 - 12:01 AM, said:

Well, some people may say that is snobby... :P

But I can honestly say the same.  I will however say that I can appreciate what those humongous breweries do.  Can you imagine trying to make the same thing over and over again at countless breweries.  Granted that they have systems in place to help more than any homebrewer, but they are doing something right.  They are also making what people are buying. 

I would not turn down a Bud Light if it was given to me because drinking beer with friends is great fun either way.  I even had a Mickeys the other night just for old times sake.  Drinking good beer with friends is even better though and that is what we are all here for.

We had a slogan a few years back that we could revive....Your Beer, Your Way.  I think it fits.

Cheers to making good homebrew. 

I won't turn down a beer offered, but spending my money on it is a whole 'nother story.  (never could stand bud)

thanks guys , i purchased american light deluxe refill and lager  3 more days till bottle first batch. i will try adding hops to the next batch.

DARK DME in the CAL? That gets my attention! Be sure and let us know how THAT turns out!

I am a Bud drinker.  i prefer Bud Ice for the higher APV and stronger taste. I am currently brewing the American Light. Is there a way to raise the APV other than using the LME?

I actually love Budweiser Black Crown. You can raise the ABV with LME, DME, or booster.

DARK DME in the CAL? That gets my attention! Be sure and let us know how THAT turns out!

Well, honestly it's not CAL any more. I used the CAL extract, but added the pound of dark DME, 1/2 pound of steeped crystal malt, some Kent Goldings hops, and Wyeast London Ale III. I was aiming for an English ESB. It looks good so far. 

• Like 1

The American Light was my first brew from MB and despite all the new brewer errors, it was still better than any Bud Light.

Here's my ESB recipe, courtesy of QBrew. I used the Brewer's Friend one too. They were both in the same ballpark.

Recipe   ESB 01/06/15   Style   Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale) Brewer       Batch   2.10 gal Extract

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity   1.058 OG   Estimated FG   1.014 FG Recipe Bitterness   22 IBU   Alcohol by Volume   5.6% Recipe Color   14° SRM   Alcohol by Weight   4.4%

Ingredients

Quantity   Grain   Type   Use 0.50 lb   Crystal 60L   Grain   Steeped 1.00 lb   Dark D.M.E.   Extract   Extract 1.87 lb   Light malt extract   Extract   Extract Quantity   Hop   Type   Time 0.5 oz   Kent Golding   Pellet   30 minutes 0.33 oz   Kent Golding   Pellet   15 minutes 0.33 oz   Kent Golding   Pellet   5 minutes Quantity   Misc   Notes 1.00 unit   London Ale Yeast III   Yeast   Wyeast 1318

Recipe Notes

Light malt extract (Mr. Beer Classic American Light by Cooper's) supposedly has 11 IBUs, so the total should be over 30.
Yeast used was Wyeast London Ale III 1318

Batch Notes

• Like 1

Thanks! Time will tell.... By the way, I had to make a correction to the hop info. It was .5 oz./30 min and .33 oz/5 min, not the other way around.

• Like 1

Drinking Caged Alpha Monkey IPA and reading this forum. Makes me want to drink more beer.

Hold one while I refill my pint glass.

Ahhhhh.... That's better. Please resume posting delicious beer recipes. :D

• Like 2

Right, thought you were pointed to recipes on the Mr. Beer site, didn't closely.  BEER TIME!  Rick's Best Brown coming up!

• Like 1

What about perhaps combining a LME packet along with a booster...What would be expected?

More body and alcohol.

And longer to condition. And possibly more cidery from the booster.

I never use it any more. Use 1 lb of LME instead.

• Like 1

It can also negatively affect the hop/malt balance.