Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
PunkyBrewer

No fermentation

I bought a brewers best American Pale Ale kit and split it and brewed according to instructions and put it into two LBK's,the yeast was danstar west coast ale yeast.Its been 24 hours and there is no sign of fermention.I thought about going to my LHBS and buying another pack of yeast and repitching.Should I repitch or wait longer?

You should wait another 24 hours, assuming you pitched half the packet into each LBK (versus pitching the yeast and then splitting the wort).

Also, there may be a layer of trub forming on the bottom and little activity on the top - check for it.

Yes I pitched half packet in each LBK and there is trub,but no visible action that Im used to seeing and zero krausen

Assuming you pitched into cool enough wort, and that you're in the mid to high 60s, give it 48 hours and see.

Edit - I thought you said you did not have trub. If you do, as Jim noted, all is well. Perhaps it went crazy while you were sleeping. Or sometimes they don't get real active.

Edited by RickBeer

BRY-97 is usually a pretty aggressive and quick yeast, so I am surprised you didnt see a krausen line above the wort in your LBK.  I've had that finish up in 3-4 days before, although I still keep it in the LBK for the 3 weeks.

• Like 1

No krausen whatsoever, no movement,yes there is sediment,but that appeared an hour after I pitched.Im going to give it another day or so and repitch

So just checked the LBK's and Im starting to see a little bit of action,very slow moving,I think Im just gonna let it ride.Its pretty chilly in my apartment maybe thats slowing down the fermentation.

did you rehydrate the yeast first according to the manufacturer's instructions?

what was the wort temp when you pitched it in?

did you aerate the wort before pitching ?

what was the expiration date on the yeast?

manufacturer says it works best at ale temps (around 65-67f ish)

old yeast...failure to aerate...pitching too cold or too hot... fermenting too cold or too hot all can affect yeast health.

for the record ive had yeast .. same type.. same manufacturer.. behave totally different at times.  in one batch with 04 (fermentis) it went volcanic with activity almost within a couple hours.  in another batch it barely fizzed up a small layer of krausen and slowly munched away at the wort.

when I used us04 in hobo wine I got really bad sulfur smells... a super thick purple krausen in no time that sank completely in 2 days... only to re-appear as a thinner purple krausen a couple days later.

yeast are weird that way sometimes.