Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Carolinian

Cold crash

I do it on day 18. I check FG and see if I hit my target, then cold crash. A hydrometer is a good, cheap investment, but buy two as they like to commit suicide. Don't forget the test jar.

• Like 1

The rare times I cold crash it is around day 21.  I am not a huge fan of it but that is just me.

If I brewed on Jan 1, I would cold crash Jan 22 &23. (schedule permitting)

I don't cold crash but this might be helpful. I do not really ferment 21 days I bottle in 17 I don't do 2 fg readings just the one to establish the ABV. No bottle bombs so IMO you could CC the evening of the 17th day till the 21st and be ok.

Thanks everyone.  With the frequent discussions about cold crashing, I'm finally convinced I should try it when I bottle my cherry wheat in another 5 days or so.  With all the cherry particles in addition to the trub, I think I need to cold crash it.

I usually cold crash (permitting I have room in the fridge to do it).  Depending on my schedule i will start the cold crash either on day 19-20-21 for 2 or 3 days.  It not exact all the time because life usually gets in the way.  I like to do it because when i dry hop I go commando.  So it helps to drop all the particles and solidify the trub.   Remember if using the LBK advise from the forums say put a cd case in the front bottom of it to keep the trub away from the spigot. But what RickBeer says a hydrometer is a good cheap tool to have.

Thanks for the replies. Day twenty one is coming up this weekend on my first batch. I' ll obviously have to try with and without cold crashing to see which I prefer. This is my "second" first batch as I had a Mr. beer kit somewhere back around 2005. Like so many after two batches up in the attic it went. Years later SWMBO tossed 'em. I remember back then they had the malt extract and booster pack. Mr. Beer had something like a beer of the month club where they sent you refills once a month. Never did much research back then and two batches I made were like carbonated water. That was with the. Mr. Beer 2-2-2 formula. Looking forward to brewing with all the advice found online nowadays. All ready have four mour refills to try. No tossing them this time.

Carolinian, my first batch is up to bottle on Saturday, so I'll do it either Saturday or Sunday, depending on how my weekend goes.  I'm thinking of COLD crashing it in my garage.  It's holding about 25 even though it was -5°F at my house this morning.  I don't think that will be too cold as my bottled water isn't even freezing out there.

• Like 1

thump one of the bottles of water, you might see it freeze before your eyes.

thump one of the bottles of water, you might see it freeze before your eyes.

Temp is 19°F as a delivery person left the door open a bit today.  Just tried a water bottle.  Thumped it, tapped it, turned it, shook it...  Nothing.

Is it the temp that does it or the time or a combination?  Trying to decide if I put it out tomorrow evening for a Saturday bottling, would that be enough time?  It would certainly cool the trub, and even if everything doesn't settle out, it would be better than nothing.

Refrigerator Temps, i.e. 35 - 37, solidifies the trub. Putting it outside in below freezing temps is not a good idea IMHO. 19 is very cold.