Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dan_The_Man

How many carbonation drops should be left?

This is my first time brewing but I have 6 carbo drops left from the LBK kit....what does everyone else have?

I definitely put in 5 carbo drops for each 2L bottles I used. So in all, I used 20 carbo drops for 2 gallons.

The carb drops are not packaged for different bottle sizes.  Package contains 22 drops per Mr. Beer's site.  2 liters = 67.6 ounces, 5 drops per bottle.  2.13 gallons = 272.64 ounces, divided by 67.6 = 4 bottles.  4 x 5 = 20.  You should have 2 drops left, not 6.  Clearly you're using your own bottles as the Mr. Beer kit never came with 2 liter bottles.

I have had varying amounts of 'extra' drops. Seems like they have at least 22. It is probably good they err on the side of too many.

when i bottled i had drops left over too i put 2 drops per 740ml  had 4 drops left over .. 

Interesting....I wasn't at all concerned with how many I had left over. I just made sure I used the proper amount to bottle!

Interesting. There seems to be something wrong with that chart, jumping from 1.5 tsp for 20 oz to 2.5 tsp for 22.  My 2-year-old MrBeer chart shows 1.5 tsp sugar for a 22oz bottle.  In my experience, that's too much.  Been using 1 tsp per and it's been just fine.

Interesting. There seems to be something wrong with that chart, jumping from 1.5 tsp for 20 oz to 2.5 tsp for 22.  My 2-year-old MrBeer chart shows 1.5 tsp sugar for a 22oz bottle.  In my experience, that's too much.  Been using 1 tsp per and it's been just fine.

I agree that is a bit suspect. I'll look into it.