Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
PunkyBrewer

Simcoe as a bittering hop

Making a smoked porter and have some simcoe hops left over in the fridge from a previous ipa I brewed,was wondering if anyone ever used simcoe as a bittering hop in a darker beer and what was the outcome?

No but, bittering won't impart much if any flavor or aroma. As long as you got enough to hit the IBUs desired you should (in theory) make ale. Original recipe?

Yes, in most cases bittering doesnt matter unless you are making a relatively light flavored brew since it will in most cases get masked, assuming you are using similar alphas.  If using a low alpha you will need to use a lot more so it is possible you can detect the difference.  I use Nugget a lot for bittering since I have so darn much of it.  As mentioned, what is important is you utilize the same IBUs.  The reason a lot of aromatic hops arent used to bitter is because they generally have lower IBUs so you need to use more, meaning, more $$$.  Simcoe generally has a relatively high alpha so you should be good.

• Like 1

Simcoe is one of my favorite hops. Piney , citrusy, fruity and pungent. When I use Simcoe, I prefer to use nothing but simcoe. But yes, to answer your question, Simcoe is a relatively high alpha acid (12-14% AA), and works fine for bittering, but it works even better as a flavoring hop, imo. Happy brewing!

For your bittering charge I would stay away from noble hops.  These hops can impart a grassy notes to your beer.  If you are doing an all grain or a PM I would highly recommend that you try first wort hopping.  FWH imparts a well rounded bitterness to your beer.  Post your recipe?

• Like 1

No but, bittering won't impart much if any flavor or aroma. As long as you got enough to hit the IBUs desired you should (in theory) make ale. Original recipe?

That's true, Jim.

A favorite beer of mine  is SMASH IPA .,.. just two row and Simcoe, baby!

• Like 1