Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
PunkyBrewer

bitterness levels

Bitter will not go away. If an IPA gets old the hops stop having flavor and aroma, but the bitter remains

Bitterness will subside over time, but it can take a while. It depends on many factors, but it can easily take over 6 months for a noticable drop in bitterness to occur.
Hop flavor and aroma will also dissipate, but as Jim pointed out, at a much faster rate, one of my recent beers changed drastically after 3 months in that regard.

Ooooo...I wonder how many IBUs you're pushing there. I'm intrigued....

Used too much hops

Wow, that's something you never hear nowadays! :lol:  

ipa anyone? 

i'll drink them if you don't want them.

Ha! You know, it's probably between 75-100 IBUs if my wild guess is correct. Hey Punky, what's your OG for that hop monster?

ive made a beer with about 90 ibus before and have plans to do another.   there's a recipe kicking around on mr beer from a guy named BLACKDUCK. it was for a modified diablo ipa... mmmmm good.

ive got a commemorative imperial Russian stout in the works to honor  my bro who is in near end stage heart disease with kidney failure.  it will have about 84-100 ibus, abv around 10%...   i'll give it a week on lightly toasted oak chips soaked in cognac, and a vanilla bean.   I hope to hit the lhbs this weekend to get started on it as it will be about 8 months before it is completely done.  (1 month primary, 1.75 months secondary ... .25 months on chips / bean in secondary... age about 6 mos.) will be my first all grain beer.

he used to like drinking zombies with a cyalume light stick broke into them when he was young (not the brightest thing to do) so I will serve it in a glass with a lit light stick in it for gits and shiggles. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your bro, that's rough. That stout sounds amazing, I'd like to try one of those some time. I did once before and it didn't turn out the way I wanted it, which is to say it was flat as a pancake. Other than that it wasn't bad. I used a recipe for Courage imperial stout from Clonebrews, and like a dummy I didn't read the directions thoroughly and neglected to pitch the yeast again in the secondary. 

That stout does sound amazing. I also all-grain brew once in awhile (when I have the time, which is rare these days). Would you be willing to share the recipe, zorak? I'd love to try that beer out one of these days. I love Imperial stouts.

haven't done this yet but the numbers crunch good... and the water chemistry for my water works on easywater calc... I will add a little gypsum and CaCl .

Karl's Crazy Cossack Russian Imperial Stout

60 min boil

biab

batch size 1.5 gallons

boil size 2.5 gallons

estimated boil grav 1.056

estimated OG 1.094    predicted FG  1.022  abv 9.47%  ibu 82.97  srm  35.64

4.5 lbs American pale 2-row (rahr)

2 oz Belgian debittered black

2 oz victory

2 oz uk pale chocolate

2 oz roasted barley

2 oz uk crystal 60

1 oz acidulated malt to adjust ph

.4 oz   warrior hops  pellets  60 mins

.25 oz cascade hop pellets  7-10 mins

half a whirlfloc at  8 mins left

3 gallon mash at 151f  , no sparge.  anticipate losing about .5 gal to absorption in the grain.. less if I squeeze it a little

what I was planning on doing to add another element to the taste... mash for 70 mins. draw off about a couple quarts worth of grain and do a pseudo-decoction.  bring the grain to a low boil and stir like mad for ten minutes... add back to cooler/tun  and let it sit for another 10 mins as a sort of mashout. 

ferment for 1 month with Danstar Nottingham  (1 pack).  rack to secondary (trying for as little headspace as possible..maybe flushing it with co2) and let sit for 1.75 months.    3 days before this time is up, soak some lightly roasted oak chips in cognac or bourbon..probably cognac. strain and add 1 vanilla bean and the chips to secondary for one week. this should keep tanins extracted down and not overpower the stout with oak.

bottle with 2 or 3 grains of fresh danstar yeast,  1 sugar cube per 1 liter bottle to keep co2 levels low to match style...  age for about 4-6 months.. or more.

first foray into all grain.. first time working with water chem.... first time using oak chips.... should be fun and interesting.  might need to tweak this but so far it looks ok.

• Like 2

Man that sounds like a beast! And what an interesting grain bill too. I'm very interested in how this turns out, it sounds amazing.

I wanted to use coffee malt but the Podunk lhbs doesn't carry it...so I went with victory and pale choc. never used either before but read it should approximate coffee malt somewhere.

the wonderful thing...  even if it doesn't taste quite right, it is still beer! strong beer too! woot!

note to self, check propane level in tank today....

Made an amber ale,very bitter.Will that mellow with time.

Used too much hops

One thing you can do to make a beer that has "too much" drinkable sometimes is to pick up some sort of BMC beer and do a little mixing.

haven't done this yet but the numbers crunch good... and the water chemistry for my water works on easywater calc... I will add a little gypsum and CaCl .

60 min boil

biab

batch size 1.5 gallons

boil size 2.5 gallons

2 oz victory

2 oz uk pale chocolate

2 oz roasted barley

2 oz uk crystal 60

3 gallon mash at 151f  , no sparge.  anticipate losing about .5 gal to absorption in the grain.. less if I squeeze it a little

what I was planning on doing to add another element to the taste... mash for 70 mins. draw off about a couple quarts worth of grain and do a pseudo-decoction.  bring the grain to a low boil and stir like mad for ten minutes... add back to cooler/tun  and let it sit for another 10 mins as a sort of mashout. 

ferment for 1 month with Danstar Nottingham  (1 pack).  rack to secondary (trying for as little headspace as possible..maybe flushing it with co2) and let sit for 1.75 months.    3 days before this time is up, soak some lightly roasted oak chips in cognac or bourbon..probably cognac. strain and add 1 vanilla bean and the chips to secondary for one week. this should keep tanins extracted down and not overpower the stout with oak.

bottle with 2 or 3 grains of fresh danstar yeast,  1 sugar cube per 1 liter bottle to keep co2 levels low to match style...  age for about 4-6 months.. or more.

first foray into all grain.. first time working with water chem.... first time using oak chips.... should be fun and interesting.  might need to tweak this but so far it looks ok.

OMG that sounds like heaven in a pint. I'm years away from mastering the brewing art to try making this. Is this a recipe that I can share with my uncle? He's been brewing his own beer for years now and this is right up his alley.

Hmm barely a 100 IBU.  One of my favorite IPA recipes calls for a pound to a pound and a half of hops for five gallons.  I had an IPA that I did not start drinking till it was a year old, health issues.   The hop aroma was gone.  A lot of bitterness & flavor left.  Quite good, I am surprised.

@ Zorak that  sounds very tasty indeed :D :D :D

@ Sabres

"OMG that sounds like heaven in a pint. I'm years away from mastering the brewing art to try making this. Is this a recipe that I can share with my uncle? He's been brewing his own beer for years now and this is right up his alley."

All grain is easy.  BIAB is a good way to try as is a Partial Mash.   Then there is me I went all Mad Scientist.  Went and built me a stove-top HERMS so I can brew inside or outside.

• Like 1

sabres youre welcome to share.  if it is tried and you like, just lift a cup to karl.  :)

I'm still waiting to make it to the lhbs... been kinda cold lately to brew outside. cant brew inside due to my stove being stupid electric.

• Like 1

60 min boil

biab

batch size 1.5 gallons

boil size 2.5 gallons

2 oz victory

2 oz uk pale chocolate

2 oz roasted barley

2 oz uk crystal 60

Thanks for sharing! This looks like a great recipe!

sabres youre welcome to share.  if it is tried and you like, just lift a cup to karl.  :)

I'm still waiting to make it to the lhbs... been kinda cold lately to brew outside. cant brew inside due to my stove being stupid electric.

Excellent, thank you sir. I spoke with my uncle last night and mentioned I might have a recipe for him. He told me he's ready to start another batch and will wait until you give the go ahead. 

He said he would give me a few bottles when it's ready to drink, So I'll hoist then in your honor.