Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
0PR71

Unorthodox Use of Mr. Beer HME to Brew

I initially wanted to buy two (2) more LBKs, yet couldn't any for sale individually on the Mr. Beer website.  (If anyone does, please let me know!)  Did a bunch of Google and other Internet Search Engines and found the link below on YouTube, which uses a standard 2 1/2 Gallon jug of Bottled Water as a fermenting chamber.  I don't know yet if I want to try this. 

What I would do instead is to get a large glass container like those used on old office water coolers, sanitize it, sanitize a rubber glove held in place with a sanitized rubber band connected via one of the glove fingers (secured via another rubber band) to a sanitized 18" rubber tube that would be secured to a glass of water.  This would allow CO2 to escape the fermenting wine, while preventing any air-borne organisms getting back into the fermenting wine! 

(Note: Used this technique when we made wine in our compound rooms, when I worked in Saudi Arabia years ago as a DoD contractor in the 1980s.  Saudi Arabia as the cradle of Islam has a strict prohibition against all alcohol.  We all had Philipino House men who took care of out laundry, to keep watch over our "wine vats" hidden in closets, while we were at work at the Royal Saudi Naval Base in Al Jubail, for about $10.00 a month.  But I digress and that is another story for another time! :lol: ) 

Anyway, I found the link below.  Again, I don't know if I want to try it but I am curious to know if anyone has experience with this unorthodox use of a Mr. Beer HME and / or what are their thoughts about this brewing technique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k75iQSiAkho

first , light will not skunk beer. UV light will cause hops to go skunky. normal household lights will not turn your beer bad.  leaving the fermenter on a window sill in direct sunlight will. to a very lesser degree some CFL lights emit a tiny amount of uv radiation.  beer is not a vampire.

second - as long as everything is sanitized the only thing I would see a problem with is a lack of headspace. I would have Gerry rigged a sanitized hose to the end and ran it into a container of water to act as a blow off air lock. you sometimes get some really violent fermentations and you would end up with krud spewing out all over the place. possibly you would get krud in the end of the spigot hardening and BOOM!.

third - the only reason they tell you to heat water before adding the extract is to make it easier to mix more thoroughly so yeah.. you can do it like this..if you aren't also doing a hop boil.

last- hasn't this guy ever heard of a funnel????? I mean , wow that they can manage all that pouring without getting it all over the place but me? lol! I would have ended up wearing most of the extract.

on a side note: I sometimes use a 2.5 gallon water / beverage dispenser as a fermenter. I drilled a hole in the plastic lid, inserted a rubber grommet and added an airlock. alternately you can stand it upright in a plastic bucket, remove the spigot assembly and use a cork with an airlock there.  before using I wrap a couple turns of Teflon tape around the lid and spigot areas to get a better seal.  if you do the bucket you can pour water around the container and run a blow off airlock directly into the water in the bucket. I toss  a little starsan in the bucket water.. put some saran wrap over the top.   this also serves as a kind of swamp cooler....     yeast don't care what you ferment in as long as they are happy.

side note 2- those plastic water bottles are kind of flimsy.

You couldn'to find them on the Mr. Beer site? Click on Accessories, then Replacement Parts. Right there, $10.

As to your other idea, those glass bottles take a rubber bung and airlock just fine.

I brewed one of my first batches the Steel Jan way!  It came out great!  If you thought a Mr Beer kit was quick, this speeds it up even more.

Don't feel bad, every time I look for them I have to search the whole "supplies" page...sometimes twice.  :wacko:

Wanting another LBK got me to put on my thinking cap.  You'd be surprised what you can find in your own garage.

Did I mention that I also like to deep fry turkeys for friends and family during the holidays?  Well anyone that does this knows you must use peanut oil to do this safely.  I found two empty 8 gallon plastic peanut oil containers left over from Thanksgiving and Christmas in my own garage!!! 

Got them from the local Costco.  Cleaned them out, sanitized them and attached an 18" clear plastic tube to the screw-on lid to allow CO2 to vent into a jar of water as an air lock.  I simply drilled a 5/8" hole in the lid and secured the plastic tubing to the lid with a few rubber faucet washers inside and outside the cap.  i then used self adhering rubber tape on the outside of the lid to ensure an air tight seal.  I then started a batch of "Defiberlator Doppelbock" on this Saturday in my fabricated fermenter.  It is working perfectly because this brew uses an LME, HME -and- a booster.  It seems to me that whenever brewing in an LBK and the recipe calls for more than just a small can of HME, you really need something larger than an LBK as a fermenter. 

As I am now only using about 1/2 of the capacity of the peanut oil plastic jug there is plenty of room for the thick head that forms during High Krausen (sp?), so there is no chance of an overflow or exploding fermenter.  Placed the stick-on thermometer on the fabricated container and everyhting is good!.  I've read about the recommended brewing in colored containers and UV rays being solely responsible for "skunking beer", so I place the whole thing under my bathroon sink for darkness and a stable 72 degress F. :D   Now have three (3) batches in various stages of 3-4 brewing.  One in an LBK.  One in a 2 1/2 gal Bottled Water container and One in my fabricated fermenter.  

Will let ALCON know how this batch turns out in 4 months (recommended minimum lager time for the "Defiberlator Doppelbock"). 

Will provide detailed AARs!!!

I cannot imagine that the peanut oil containers will yield good beer, there has to be some residue left - but I guess they are food grade, so your money.  Guess you plan on using an auto siphon to bottle?

• Like 1

Did you guys see that space-age robot can opener in the video? He's got that thing and he can't buy a glass carboy?  :D

Anywho, I wanted to point out that this guy isn't making "Mr. Beer" using a really cheap fermenter. He's making beer using Mr. Beer/Cooper's brand extract in a cheap fermenter. All the principles of brewing, regardless of brand, still apply of course. But at 10 bucks a pop I think the LBK is a steal. I'm thinking of ordering a couple myself, not just for primary fermentation but also to be used as a seperate bottling bucket and/or secondary fermenter.

What I would do instead is to get a large glass container like those used on old office water coolers, sanitize it, sanitize a rubber glove held in place with a sanitized rubber band connected via one of the glove fingers (secured via another rubber band) to a sanitized 18" rubber tube that would be secured to a glass of water.  This would allow CO2 to escape the fermenting wine, while preventing any air-borne organisms getting back into the fermenting wine! 

0P, that's actually a pretty normal way to homebrew. 5 gallon glass carboys and the ubiquitous plastic buckets have been the homebrewing standard for fermenters for decades. Your rubber glove airlock is similar to another method, which is punching a little hole in a balloon with a pin, then stretching the ballon opening over the opening of your fermenter, which would usually be a 1 gallon glass jug or something similar. The balloon expands and CO2 escapes through the pin hole.Some people who make small batches of mead and wine still do this. (I have a 1 gallon batch of mead in the works, but being the big spender that I am I opted to drop $1.50 on an airlock and a rubber stopper.)

Come to think of it, I wonder if the reason homebrewers got hung up on the practice of making 5 gallon batches is because of the price, availability, and suitability of 5 gallon carboys back in the day...hmm....

Posted Today, 05:09 PM

I cannot imagine that the peanut oil containers will yield good beer, there has to be some residue left - but I guess they are food grade, so your money.  Guess you plan on using an auto siphon to bottle? -- YOURS IS A LEGITIMATE CONCERN.  THAT IS WHY I WASHED BOTH CONTAINERS IN DISH WASHING LIQUID WITH THE HOTTEST WATER I COULD STAND.  THEN I CUT OPEN ONE CONTAINER TO GET AN IDEA OF ANY POTENTIAL LEFTOVER PEANUT OIL RESIDUE.   I FOUND NONE AFTER THREE (3) WASHES.  THEN TO BE SURE, I WASHED THE CONTAINER THAT I ULTIMATELY USED TWO (2) MORE TIMES.  THEN I SANITIZED THE CONTAINER FOR 45 MINUTES.  I FEEL REASONABLY SURE THAT I STARTED WITH A CLEAN AND THOROUGHLY SANITIZED FERMENTER, AS A BASELINE.  BUT AGAIN, I WILL ISSUE PERIODIC SITREPS AND A FINAL AAR IN 4 MONTHS +.    I TOLD YOU THAT I INVESTED A FEW BRAIN CELLS IN ALL OF THIS, BEFORE EXECUTION.  MY MR. BEER AUTO SIPHON HAS BEEN IN THE MAIL FOR OVER A WEEK NOW AND SHOULD ARRIVE THIS THURSDAY, PER MY UPS TRACKER.  PEANUT OIL IS A VERY LIGHT OIL, WITH A LIGHT VISCOSITY, UNLIKE OTHER COOKING OILS.  IT HAS ALMOST NO ODOR AND DOES NOT AT ALL SMELL LIKE PEANUTS.  IT IS USED FOR DEEP FRYING TURKEYS (A SUBJECT THAT I AM A MASTER ON.  BEEN DOING IT FOR OVER 15 YEARS NOW), BECAUSE UNLIKE OTHER OILS IT HAS A MUCH HIGHER FLASH POINT.  YOU MUST DEEP FRY A TURKEY AT A MINIMUM OF 375 DEGREES F FOR 3 MINUTES PER POUND.  YOU HEAT ANY OTHER COOKING OIL TO THAT TEMP AND THEY WILL EXPLODE IN FLAMES GUARANTEED. EVERY YEAR YOU HEAR ON THE NEWS ABOUT SOME UNFORTUNATE SOUL WHO BURNS DOWN THEIR HOME TRYING TO FRY A TURKEY, BECAUSE THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING. 

TRUST ME, I KNOW I AM A NOVICE BREWER BUT I AM A SEASONED JOURNEYMAN AT DEEP FRYING TURKEYS AND AM A SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT IN THAT REALM.

WHILE I AM SURE I KNOW WHY MR. BEER DOES NOT SELL ALL OF THEIR BEER MAKING COMPONENTS SEPARATELY, I WISH THEY DID.   I CERTAINLY WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY A FEW BUCKS MORE FOR EITHER OF THE LARGER FERMENTERS, SEPARATELY. 

THEN I WOULDN'T HAVE HAD TO JERRY-RIG A PEANUT OIL CONTAINER INTO A FERMENTING CHAMBER TO SUIT MY CONCERNS AND NEEDS.

So why are you SHOUTING? Man no body doubts your word, or job. It's the novice brewer we are talking to. I.E. until now did you have to worry about how a small amount  oil residue still clinging to the inside can reek havoc with the heads of your brews?  If we stay quite with legitimate concerns, it'd kind of be our fault if you did lose a brew. If you choose to ignore or not consider advice based upon your professional experience, then it's on your head. Remember besides MrBRick none of us are being paid, I'm just a fellow brewer outside Columbus GA sharing what I know and/or have read, just like RickBeer.

• Like 1

So why are you SHOUTING? Man no body doubts your word, or job. It's the novice brewer we are talking to. I.E. until now did you have to worry about how a small amount  oil residue still clinging to the inside can reek havoc with the heads of your brews?  If we stay quite with legitimate concerns, it'd kind of be our fault if you did lose a brew. If you choose to ignore or not consider advice based upon your professional experience, then it's on your head. Remember besides MrBRick none of us are being paid, I'm just a fellow brewer outside Columbus GA sharing what I know and/or have read, just like RickBeer.

SORRY, I DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THE NORMAL INTERNET WRITING CONVENTIONS.  LOST MY MIDDLE FINGER TO A SNIPER IN BOSNIA HERGOVINIA (SP?) IN 1987 AS A BLUE HELMETED PEACE KEEPER CARRYING AN M16A2 RIFLE WITH NO F#####G ROUNDS.  AND IT IS JUST EASIER FOR ME TO EITHER TYPE IN ALL CAPS OR ALL LOWER CASE.  I CHOOSE CAPS.  REALLY I AM NOT SHOUTING AT ALL!!  PLEASE BEAR WITH ME IN THIS REGARD. I SHOULD HAVE EXPLAINED THIS, EARLIER.  AT WORK I HAVE AN ASSISTANT TYPE SOME THINGS FOR ME.  I AM AT HOME NOW CONVERSING WITH YOU WHILE WATCHING THE NATION CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.  GO BUCKEYES!

• Like 2

I tend to type in all lower case, I have to go back and add caps where appropriate. You'll see where I forget sometimes.  sadly I lost control of the TV, the agreement with swmbo is; if I guess either team actually playing I get to watch post season(I got to make the call in early Oct.)...who the hell saw the Buckeyes being here after losing a game they should've won right out of the gates?

OPR, the 8LX & 24LX fermenters will be available when they build up stock. For now, they are only available in the kit.

• Like 1

The "All caps" issue: As trivial as it is, in terms of internet etiquette (which is a bit of an oxymoron) it's better to type in all lowercase than all caps. All caps has a certain, shall we say, antagonistic undertone, or at least an angry one. Ah, life in the 21st century...who would have thought something like this would ever be an issue?  :)

Anyway...let me preface this by saying I think Mr. Beer puts out an excellent product. From what I've seen so far, they sell quality stuff at competitive prices and have a pretty impressive selection. I would recommend a Mr. Beer kit to anyone starting out in homebrewing, and their products have plenty of merit for homebrewers who have advanced beyond the beginner level. I have to admit, I was skeptical at first but I am very impressed with what they're doing. Having said that, there are certain instances where Mr. Beer does not provide something that you might want to utilize in your homebrewing endeavors, and there are many options available to fill in the gaps, e.g. your local homebrew store. The people at Mr. Beer seem very receptive to customer suggestions too...

Posted Yesterday, 09:33 PM

OPR, the 8LX & 24LX fermenters will be available when they build up stock. For now, they are only available in the kit.

THANX!  I WILL DEFINITELY GET AN 8LX FERMENTER AS SOON AS THEY BECOME AVAILABLE AND RETIRE THE PEANUT OIL CONTAINERS TO THE RE-CYCLE MAN!  :lol:    I'M NOT VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE LBK

Posted Yesterday, 10:33 PM

The "All caps" issue: As trivial as it is, in terms of internet etiquette (which is a bit of an oxymoron) it's better to type in all lowercase than all caps. All caps has a certain, shall we say, antagonistic undertone, or at least an angry one. Ah, life in the 21st century...who would have thought something like this would ever be an issue? :)

Anyway...let me preface this by saying I think Mr. Beer puts out an excellent product. From what I've seen so far, they sell quality stuff at competitive prices and have a pretty impressive selection. I would recommend a Mr. Beer kit to anyone starting out in homebrewing, and their products have plenty of merit for homebrewers who have advanced beyond the beginner level. I have to admit, I was skeptical at first but I am very impressed with what they're doing. Having said that, there are certain instances where Mr. Beer does not provide something that you might want to utilize in your homebrewing endeavors, and there are many options available to fill in the gaps, e.g. your local homebrew store. The people at Mr. Beer seem very receptive to customer suggestions too...

I HAVE NEVER BEEN A SUBSCRIBER TO POLITICAL CORRECTNESS OR INTERNET ETIQUETTE.  I SIMPLY SAY WHAT I MEAN AND MEAN WHAT I SAY AND LET THE CHIPS FALL WHERE THEY WILL.  IT HAS GOTTEN ME INTO TROUBLE AT TIMES BUT I AN TOO OLD AT THIS POINT AND HAVE NO DESIRE TO COMPROMISE ON WHO OR WHAT I AM.  SORRY. -_-   LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME.  YOUR CHOICE!

BESIDES MY THOUGHTS ON THE LBK, I HAVE NO OTHER REAL CRITICISMS OF MR. BEER PRODUCTS.  THEY APPEAR TO BE A GOOD COMPANY.  I'VE SINCE MET SOME OTHER BREWERS HERE AT WORK AND THEY HAVE ALL HAD GOOD EXPERIENCES WITH MR. BEER PRODUCTS AND SO FAR I HAVE RECEIVED SEEMINGLY GOOD BREWING ADVICE ON THE FORUMS.  GOTTA CHECK GOOGLE AND SEE IF I CAN FIND ME A LHBS THAT IS CLOSER THAN BIRMINGHAM, AL (90 MINUTES AWAY!)

LOOKING FORWARD TO YEARS OF FUN, AS I LEARN MORE ABOUT THE BREWING PROCESS.  THIS COMING WEEKEND I PROGRESS TO THE NEXT STAGE IN THIS ADVENTURE.  GONNA BOTTLE MY FIRST BREW, THE STANDARD MR. BEER NOVICE FARE, THE "CLASSIC AMERICAN LIGHT".  CAN HARDLY WAIT TO TASTE IT AFTER THE 4 WEEK LAGER TIME.  THIS SHOULD BE INTERESTING  AS I HAVE NEVER LIKED "LIGHT BEER" SINCE BEING FIRST INTRODUCED TO DARKER AND STOUTER BEERS DURING MY FIRST TOUR TO GERMANY IN 1977 

I'LL LET YOU KNOW IF MY OPINION CHANGES ABOUT LIGHT BEERS AFTER TASTING MY "CLASSIC AMERICAN LIGHT"

WHAT I AM  REALLY  LOOKING FORWARD TO TRYING IS MY "HOP HEAD RED" AND "DEFIBRILATOR DOPPLEBOCK" BREWS, WHEN THEY ARE READY!! :D 

LBK has it's place. as a matter of fact, I got 2 in a place in my fermentation chamber nothing else will fit in

• Like 1

Same here.  My fermentation freezer has fixed shelves with the coils running under each shelf, so bending them out of the way might break or crimp them.  I can fit up to 7 LBKs (I have 2 right now), but nothing larger, in fact my ramps only fit on 2 of the shelves.

post-57583-0-81499900-1421169212_thumb.j

I HAVE NEVER BEEN A SUBSCRIBER TO POLITICAL CORRECTNESS OR INTERNET ETIQUETTE.  

Ha you tell 'em 0P! All you sheeple with your lack of caps lock and pansy-ass lower case letters... :lol:

As I am now only using about 1/2 of the capacity of the peanut oil plastic jug there is plenty of room for the thick head that forms during High Krausen (sp?), so there is no chance of an overflow or exploding fermenter.  

Keep in mind that you need to make sure to push out the O2 with the CO2.  Using have the capacity may not do the job and you could get oxidation.

But at 10 bucks a pop I think the LBK is a steal. I'm thinking of ordering a couple myself, not just for primary fermentation but also to be used as a seperate bottling bucket and/or secondary fermenter.

If you keep your eyes out at garage sales you can find them for $2 a pop.  Also, I would not use them as a secondary since active fermentation has stopped and you likely wont have enough fermentation going to push out the O2 unless you toss some sugar in there and go a little longer in the secondary.  I do this sometimes with my carboys if I found I lost more than anticipated to the trub.

Yooper, I just made a post about headspace in the other thread. In a nutshell, if you were using a 5 gal. carboy as a secondary for a 3 gallon batch with no problems, then using a 2.5 gallon bucket for a 2 gallon batch should be fine. There's proportionately less headspace in the 2.5 gallon bucket, which has 20% headspace compared to 40% in the carboy. I'l save future comments on this topic for the other thread. 

THANX,  I PLAN TO GET ONE OF EACH AS SOON AS THEY BECOME AVAILABLE. :D  NO MORE LBKs FOR ME.

Not that I'm going to rush out and buy peanut oil, but can you have too much head room in your fermenter? I thought I read somewhere that you could.

ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT 8LX AND 24LX FERMENTERS BEING MADE AVAILABLE FOR SALE?

The 8LX has the same capacity as the LBK correct? Mainly just a different shape. Always wondered what the advantage of the 8LX was over the LBK.

The 8LX has the same capacity as the LBK correct? Mainly just a different shape. Always wondered what the advantage of the 8LX was over the LBK.

Yes, same capacity. The 8Lx has a "Krausen Kollar" that allows foam to rise without blowing over. It's best for people that want to brew bigger, more serious beers that have a higher abv and/or hop/fruit content without having huge messes.

Yes, 8 liters is 8 liters, no matter what shape it is.  The LBK is actually capable of doing 2.5 gallons (9.5 liters), but I suspect the 8LX is also.  

I assume the advantage is easier to clean and the krausen kollar.  I haven't received a complimentary evaluation one to know...   :unsure:

• Like 1

No.

THAT'S IT!   DAMN IT, GOING TO HOME DEPOT AFTER WORK TOMORROW TO GET A COUPLE OF THOSE PRETTY NEW ORANGE 5-GALLON PLASTIC PAINT BUCKETS AND FABRICATE MY OWN LARGER FERMENTERS.    I JUST DON'T HAVE THE PATIENCE TO WAIT WHEN I WANT SOMETHING.  I'LL MAKE MY OWN LARGER FERMENTERS. :angry:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-5-gal-Homer-Bucket-05GLHD2/100087613

Bad idea. Not food grade.

Read...

THEN I'LL GET A COUPLE OF CARBOYS.  ....OR SOME TYPE OF 5 GALLON OR MORE FOOD GRADE PLASTIC CONTAINER THAT I CAN INSTALL AN AIRLOCK ON AND THAT HAS AN AIRTIGHT SEAL. 

I'M NOT COMPLETELY BUYING THE FACT THAT A COMPANY OF MR. BEER's SIZE CAN'T MAKE LARGER FERMENTERS AVAILABLE SOONER! 

WE'RE NOT TALKING ROCKET SCIENCE HERE, BUT A DAMNED FOOD GRADE PLASTIC CONTAINER.

I WAS BORN AT NIGHT BUT NOT LAST NIGHT.

Lowe's sells 5 gal FG buckets with lids.  I use 1 for a bottling bucket.

OFF TO LOWE's TOMORROW AFTER WORK TO CHECK 'EM OUT.  WILL BE SURE TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE "OPR71 FABRICATED FERMENTER" (PATENT PENDING).  MAYBE, I'LL EVEN SELL THEM TO OTHER FRUSTRATED MR. BEER AFFECIANDOES, LIKE MYSELF. :lol:

Note: if you want to brew 5 gallon batches, you need a 6.5 gallon bucket...

• Like 1

Bad idea. Not food grade.

Read...

GONNA CHECK THESE OUT --------->  http://www.lowes.com/pd_356492-1152-50640_0__

I MAY BE CLOSE TO A SOLUTION -------->  THIS IS FROM THE LOWE'S WEBSITE! :D

rating.gif
4 / 5
Time of Purchase:1-3 months ago
Date:June 25, 2013
Features: 
ratingSecondary.gif
4 / 5
Value: 
ratingSecondary.gif
3 / 5
Design: 
ratingSecondary.gif
3 / 5
Quality: 
ratingSecondary.gif
4 / 5
Ease of use: 
ratingSecondary.gif
3 / 5
Use these for homebrewing. Work well for storing grain and to use as a fermentation bucket.
Pros Durable
I would recommend this to a friend

yeah that's the ones. I just drilled my own hole for the spigot.

HMMMMMMMM.  I ALREADY HAVE A COUPLE OF EXTRA SPIGOTS.  WHAT SIZE DRILL BIT DID YOU USE?  HOW FAR UP (IN INCHES) FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE BUCKET DID YOU DRILL THE HOLE?  HOW DID YOU ENSURE A COMPLETE SEAL AROUND THE SPIGOT?  DID YOU USE SUPER GLUE AS THE SEALANT ON THE BUCKETS EXTERIOR FOR THE SPIGOT TO THE BUCKET?  CAN YOU POST A PICTURE OF YOUR FABRICATED FERMENTER FOR THE EDIFICATION OF ALL? 

CAN I SEND YOU A FEW BOTTLES OF MY BREWS AS PAYMENT FOR YOUR TIME, EFFORT AND CONSIDERATION? :lol:  YOU HAVE BEEN A BIG HELP AND I SINCERELY APPRECIATE IT!!

lol  I think it was a 1" paddle bit  i.e. http://www.toolup.com/dewalt_dw1579_1316-x-6-spade-bit.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp1057591&gclid=CP7Q07r5xMMCFdgMgQod4H0AVw. just take your spigot with you to the hardware store. I just took the spigot out to my shop and just found a paddle bit that size(I'm a retired cabinet maker). the center of the hole was 1 3/8" up from the bottom outside rim of the bucket. I was making a bottling bucket, if you're making a fermenter I would seriously suggest NO spigot. Get a racking cane or auto syphon, just my 2 cents. the air lock hole is 3/8 and get the o ring when you order an airlock(get the 3 piece air lock as they are easier to clean)

buckets are not airtight...

even with the gasketed lids you will still not get an airtight seal.  I use the 5 gallon food grade WHITE buckets from lowes... and 6 gallon food grade buckets I got from a survivalist shop online.

I used  a 3/8" spade bit to cut a hole in the lid and inserted a sanitized gasket. shove an airlock into the gasket... voila!  I use an auto siphon with the buckets at bottling time... just insert until it is about an inch off the bottom. if your first bottle starts drawing trub, raise the siphon.  I would drill a spigot hole but don't want to risk leaks.. and why bother?

if you use a bucket for fermenting the absence of airlock activity will not mean anything. put a camp flashlight on the lid shining into the bucket.. lights out. if there is krausen you will be able to see it through the white bucket.

edit- with the gasketed lids remember to periodically use a scewer or something to lift out the gasket and clean it and under it.

edit 2- the lids will get gradually stretched out where the ears are that you pry to get it off the bucket making the seal even less airtight. lids are cheap though.

edit 3- do not get the really flat non-gasketed lids from lowes. they are a pain to pry off. also buy a bucket lid remover tool and save your finger  nails.

edit 4-  I use the 5 gallon buckets for 3 gallon batches.  the 6 gal bucket for 5 gallon batches... doesn't offer a lot of headroom. for these I always use a blow off airlock just in case.  use a 3 piece airlock and shove sanitized hose where the bobber top should be... run it to a 2liter bottle half full of water and some sanitizer.

HMMMMMMMM.  I ALREADY HAVE A COUPLE OF EXTRA SPIGOTS.  WHAT SIZE DRILL BIT DID YOU USE?  HOW FAR UP (IN INCHES) FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE BUCKET DID YOU DRILL THE HOLE?  HOW DID YOU ENSURE A COMPLETE SEAL AROUND THE SPIGOT?  DID YOU USE SUPER GLUE AS THE SEALANT ON THE BUCKETS EXTERIOR FOR THE SPIGOT TO THE BUCKET?  CAN YOU POST A PICTURE OF YOUR FABRICATED FERMENTER FOR THE EDIFICATION OF ALL? 

CAN I SEND YOU A FEW BOTTLES OF MY BREWS AS PAYMENT FOR YOUR TIME, EFFORT AND CONSIDERATION? :lol:  YOU HAVE BEEN A BIG HELP AND I SINCERELY APPRECIATE IT!!

I noticed your location is Madison County. You could go to Pearly Gates in Huntsville for some brewing buckets. They sell homebrewing supplies.

0PR71 - Just skimmed through the thread and have to ask – Is there no home brewing store anywhere close to you? 

It seems as if you are going through a WHOLE lot of trouble and effort to create a fermenter for 5 gallon batches when you can just purchase one for less than $20.  Even if the closest store is an hour and a half away, I think I’d make the trip.

Btw – THANK YOU for your service!!!

• Like 1

HMMMMMMMM.  I ALREADY HAVE A COUPLE OF EXTRA SPIGOTS.  WHAT SIZE DRILL BIT DID YOU USE?  HOW FAR UP (IN INCHES) FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE BUCKET DID YOU DRILL THE HOLE?  

That is your choice.  Most of the store bought ones have the hole so that the spigot does not hit the table which also helps with trub.  When I make up bottling buckets, I measure so that the spigot will clear the table in a rotated position,  When bottling, it is hanging over the table anyway so I just do a 90 degree rotate and dont have to worry about tipping the bucket.  I personally do not like spigots on my fermenter, but some do so as to avoid having to rack to a bottling bucket.

• Like 2

0PR71 - Just skimmed through the thread and have to ask – Is there no home brewing store anywhere close to you? 

It seems as if you are going through a WHOLE lot of trouble and effort to create a fermenter for 5 gallon batches when you can just purchase one for less than $20.  Even if the closest store is an hour and a half away, I think I’d make the trip.

Btw – THANK YOU for your service!!!

THERE MAY WELL BE SOME BREWING STORES, I JUST HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO LOCATE THEM.  I'LL KEEP TRYING TO FIND ONE.   I'M RELATIVELY NEW TO MADISON COUNTY, ALABMA.  I KNOW THAT I COULD SIMPLY ORDER ONE ON-LINE FROM ANOTHER BEER SUPPLY,  BUT I  DO ENJOY TINKERING IN MY WORKSHOP AND MAKING MY OWN ITEMS/SOLUTIONS/FIXES.

That is your choice.  Most of the store bought ones have the hole so that the spigot does not hit the table which also helps with trub.  When I make up bottling buckets, I measure so that the spigot will clear the table in a rotated position,  When bottling, it is hanging over the table anyway so I just do a 90 degree rotate and dont have to worry about tipping the bucket.  I personally do not like spigots on my fermenter, but some do so as to avoid having to rack to a bottling bucket.

ON SECOND THOUGHT I MAY JUST FORGET THE SPIGOT OPTION IN LIEU OF AN AUTO SIPHON TO REDUCE THE CHANCES OF BACTERIEL CONTAMINATION.

I noticed your location is Madison County. You could go to Pearly Gates in Huntsville for some brewing buckets. They sell homebrewing supplies.

GONNA "GOOGLE" PEARLY GATES AND STOP BY THERE, THIS AFTERNOON.  THANX TO ALL ON THE FORUM WHO PROVIDED INFO, SUGGESTIONS AND THE BENEFIT OF THEIR EXPERIENCES!!!

GONNA "GOOGLE" PEARLY GATES AND STOP BY THERE, THIS AFTERNOON.  THANX TO ALL ON THE FORUM WHO PROVIDED INFO, SUGGESTIONS AND THE BENEFIT OF THEIR EXPERIENCES!!!

They did move a few months ago and are now on Governors Drive.

Make sure they are "food grade" plastic. Some nasty things can come out into you beer otherwise. Not sure if you have Tractor Supply stores near by, but they atleast sell buckets labled "food grade".

They did move a few months ago and are now on Governors Drive.

JUST GOT BACK FROM "PEARLY's NATURAL FOOD AND MERCANTILE" ABOUT AN HOUR AGO.   http://www.yelp.com/biz/pearlys-natural-food-and-mercantile-huntsville

BOUGHT A 6.5 GALLON BSG HANDCRAFT BUCKET FERMENTER ( WWW.BSGHANDCRAFT.COM ) AND A COUPLE OF AIRLOCKS, ALL FOR ABOUT $20.

SPENT A LOT OF TIME TALKING WITH MS. PEARLY,  A FORMER BAR TENDER AND A CURRENT MASTER BREWER AND WINE MAKER.  SAW ALL KINDS OF HMEs, UMEs, GRAINS, HOPS, SUGARS, YEASTS AND JUST ABOUT EVERY BEER MAKING ACCESSORY AND TOOL THAT I COUD EVER NEED!!!.  

THIS WAS JUST THE STORE I HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR.  

WHEN I GET A BIT MORE EXPERIENCE UNDER MY BELT AND AM READY TO GRADUATE TO UMEs, SHE HAS CONSENTED TO BE MY INSTRUCTOR, CONSULTANT AND GURU.

"CISCO", I WILL FORVER BE IN YOUR DEBT FOR TURNING ME ON TO "PEARLY's" AND ALSO IT IS LESS THAN 20 MINUTES FROM THE ARSENAL! :)  :)   

• Like 2

lol  I think it was a 1" paddle bit  i.e. http://www.toolup.com/dewalt_dw1579_1316-x-6-spade-bit.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp1057591&gclid=CP7Q07r5xMMCFdgMgQod4H0AVw. just take your spigot with you to the hardware store. I just took the spigot out to my shop and just found a paddle bit that size(I'm a retired cabinet maker). the center of the hole was 1 3/8" up from the bottom outside rim of the bucket. I was making a bottling bucket, if you're making a fermenter I would seriously suggest NO spigot. Get a racking cane or auto syphon, just my 2 cents. the air lock hole is 3/8 and get the o ring when you order an airlock(get the 3 piece air lock as they are easier to clean)

I have spigots on all of my fermeters.  No issues in over 50 batches...

Glad to hear it, sadly it don't work that way for everyone. I had a spigot give up the ghost in less than 6 months.  Didn't break, just started dripping. Fortunately it was in my sanitizer bucket, so no ale lost.

I’ve done 100+ 5/6 gallon batches of beer/wine and never had a spigot on any buckets…………I am a siphoning ninja!!!!!!  :ph34r:

I don’t know why I haven’t even bought an auto-siphon, I guess I’m just used to it for transferring to a secondary and for bottling.  I do think about getting one for beer priming and bottling, so one of these days I’ll pry open the wallet and get one. 

• Like 2

Good to know CYA.. was also considering modifications to wine bucket for brewing :)

would rather just purchase a 8x

Glad to hear it, sadly it don't work that way for everyone. I had a spigot give up the ghost in less than 6 months. Didn't break, just started dripping. Fortunately it was in my sanitizer bucket, so no ale lost.

I don't use mr beer spigots. They are 1/2 inch npt plastic spigots with double gaskets. Sturdier than the standard spigot.

Nor do I. Only place I got MrB spigots is on the LBKs. The spigots I use on my bottling bucket are 3/8"ID instead of 1/4" faster flow for bottling/kegging.

JUST GOT BACK FROM "PEARLY's NATURAL FOOD AND MERCANTILE" ABOUT AN HOUR AGO.   http://www.yelp.com/biz/pearlys-natural-food-and-mercantile-huntsville

That's Awesome!!!!  it really helps when you can get some one you can have some face time with!!  and these board discussions have also been a world of info to me as well!!!!!

cheeers

IT IS AWESOME!  MS. PEARLY HAS BEEN BREWING AND MAKING WINE FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND HAS A LOT OF GOOD FIRSTHAND KNOWLEDGE THAT I INTEND TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF.

OPR71,

Sorry to read about the digit incedent, many I see have limb issues or worse, Glad you made it alive and sharing ideas.

My LHBS is about an hour drive and the tender is not a people person, I had to know what I needed or get ignored. Go figure.

I should open a MR Beer store here where I live. The Retired thrive in Florida during the winter.

All the Best

BOUGHT A 6.5 GALLON BSG HANDCRAFT BUCKET FERMENTER ( WWW.BSGHANDCRAFT.COM ) AND A COUPLE OF AIRLOCKS, ALL FOR ABOUT $20.

SPENT A LOT OF TIME TALKING WITH MS. PEARLY,  A FORMER BAR TENDER AND A CURRENT MASTER BREWER AND WINE MAKER.  SAW ALL KINDS OF HMEs, UMEs, GRAINS, HOPS, SUGARS, YEASTS AND JUST ABOUT EVERY BEER MAKING ACCESSORY AND TOOL THAT I COUD EVER NEED!!!.  

THIS WAS JUST THE STORE I HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR.  

WHEN I GET A BIT MORE EXPERIENCE UNDER MY BELT AND AM READY TO GRADUATE TO UMEs, SHE HAS CONSENTED TO BE MY INSTRUCTOR, CONSULTANT AND GURU.

"CISCO", I WILL FORVER BE IN YOUR DEBT FOR TURNING ME ON TO "PEARLY's" AND ALSO IT IS LESS THAN 20 MINUTES FROM THE ARSENAL! :)  :)   

HERE ARE A FEW PIX OF THE FERMENTERS THAT I NOW HAVE.  THE CLEAR PLASTIC IS MY NOW INFAMOUS "PEANUT OIL" FERMENTER WITH THE MODIFIED LID WITH A AIR LOCK

A FEW PIX OF MY FERMENTERS.  ONE FROM MISS PEARLY's, ONE FABRICATED FROM A PEANUT OIL CONTAINER AND ONE MR. BEER'S LBK.

post-65138-0-85403600-1423328187_thumb.j

post-65138-0-14767600-1423328210_thumb.j

post-65138-0-71223200-1423328232_thumb.j

post-65138-0-45446700-1423328257_thumb.j

post-65138-0-08004200-1423328278_thumb.j

post-65138-0-61555800-1423328305_thumb.j

post-65138-0-95305600-1423328325_thumb.j

• Like 1

Very nice, OPR71. Creative and practical. Happy brewing!

THANX JOECHIANTI!

JUST FINISHED BOTTLING BATCH #4, CLEANING UP THE MESS AND GETTING READY TO CREATE THE WORT FOR MY TWO BELGIUM SPICE CHRISTMAS ALES.  DECIDED TO DO ONE WITH BLUEBERRIES AND ONE WITHOUT TO SEE IF I CAN IDENTIFY ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM.  THEY ARE GONNA CONDITION UNTIL NEXT THANKSGIVING AND BE 2015 CHRISTMAS GIFTS. GOT THREE OTHER  BATCHES IN FERMENTATION AND CONDITIONING THAT WILL BE READY OVER THIS SUMMER FROM MEMORIAL DAY UNTIL LABOR DAY, :wub:        GONNA WORT THE AUSTRALIAN COOPER'S DARK ALE IN THE 6.5 GALLON FERMENTER, NEXT WEEKEND.  THAT WILL BE MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT SOMETHING A BIT MORE COMPLICATED THAN AN HME. WILL BE USING A 50/50 MIX OF 2 1/2 LBs OF DRY MALT EXTRACT AND CORN SUGAR ADDED TO THE COOPER'S HME. IT WILL YIELD 6 GALLONS.  (THAT IS WHY I HAD TO GET OR FABRICATE A BIGGER FERMENTER!!)

MISS PEARLY LET ME TASTE A COOPER'S DARK ALE SHE HAS THAT IS ALMOST 2 YEARS OLD.  WHILE IT WAS GOOD I BELIEVE I WOULD HAVE LIKE IT BETTER, COLD.  ANYWAY, I INTEND TO GO SLOW AND FOLLOW HER BREWING DIRECTIONS, TO THE LETTER!

• Like 1