Mr.Beer Community

The beer i chose to start my first batch was the american ale. I followed instructions and danitized everything ( i could have done better with the can opener but it was electric and i couldnt get it totally clean.) So i put it in my pantry after putting the wort in my fermenter and let it sit for two weeks. It was cold, we were having problems with our furnace so it wasaube 48-50 degrees on any day with a few warm ups. I checked and it had foam in the first few days and then it looked dormant. But i let it sit still. Yesterday was bottling day and it smelled a little cidery. It tasted a little sweet but mostly like flat beer. So i decided to bottle and add carb drops. Theyre conditioning in a much warmer climate now. Is that smell something i should worry about? Should i have let it ferment a little longer?

In hindsight, you likely should have let it ferment longer. We recommend 3 weeks. If it was at 50 degrees, the yeast was asleep and those days don't count. The sweet taste was telling you it was not ready.

At this point, let it bottle condition, at 70 degrees or so for maybe 6 weeks to get rid of the cider flavor.

I am a new brewer and expected it to be a learning process lol. Thank you i will let those bottles sit a while longer than the date i projected. Hopefully its still a good beer. Getting ready to start the oktoberfest batch tonight. And ill be more patient with it. Its the little barrell keg by the way

It's useless to tell you it's ok. I know this because we were all the same way with our first batch. However, it's fine, that's just green beer your smelling

don't expect greatness your first few batches... it's easy to get discouraged but stick with it... ask questions.. learn and watch the batches will keep getting better and better.

Years ago we said that beer would be ready in a few weeks, but more and more we find that letting it sit for a bit long is better.  We have since changed the instructions to say that so it is at least two weeks in the keg and another 2 weeks in the bottles.  Your situation is definitely special because of the temperature, but some great comments here so take heed and listen to these guys.

Community feedback is great.

MrB Rick, I think it is great that the Mr. Beer/Cooper's folks are hanging out in this forum and actually reading what is written and asking for advice from us (Sarah's post for first timers, for instance).  There aren't too many industries/hobbies/etc. that there is that kind of involvement.

I'm certainly glad I looked for a forum this time around.  I bought my kit back in 2002, and just brewed my first batch 3 weeks ago today.  Speaking of, today is bottling day!!  Woohoo!