Mr.Beer Community
epete28

Scored my 2nd LBK!

My wife found a MB kit(minus the bottles) on sale at Target for $20.98. She brought it home. I've got an LBK, a CAL refill, and a package of carbo drops! A pleasant suprise indeed!

• Like 2

Target had our Barrel of Beer special with a skinny can of the CAL.  Same great stuff and has the carb tabs in it too.  Have fun!

I picked one up at Target  this weekend  $8.95 LBK # 3 and some ESB  and Octoberfest on the way. And the Seahawks win best day ever.

• Like 1

Surprised you didn't already have a second epete. You've made so many batches!

Good luck. I got obsessed with this when my wife got me one lbk for xmas. I bought three more. Goodness. 

Pipeline indeed. 

My wife found a MB kit(minus the bottles) on sale at Target for $20.98. She brought it home. I've got an LBK, a CAL refill, and a package of carbo drops! A pleasant suprise indeed!

And in about 3 months, you're going to be scratching your head and wondering how you ever survived with just one.

My 2nd LBK arrived today via Ebay.

Good shape and unused but you guys that found the retail kit probably did better, I am in for 19.00 W shipping but it has a nice recipe book with clear instructions.

All the Best, M

Yeah, shes pretty good most of the time! The only reason I had just the one for so long was because I was trying to decide whether or not I wanted the MB 24 liter fermenter.

I also thought about the 24L. But, I am thinking I would like to experiment and learn with smaller batches now. May get the 24L for my one year brew anniversary!

• Like 1

Surprised you didn't already have a second epete. You've made so many batches!

Good luck. I got obsessed with this when my wife got me one lbk for xmas. I bought three more. Goodness. 

Pipeline indeed. 

I also did the exact same thing.  Had to a break once I realized I hated ales.

But now I have my Fermeezer.  And it looks like I have room for probably 6 or 7 LBKs...

• Like 1

But now I have my Fermeezer.  And it looks like I have room for probably 6 or 7 LBKs...

Well, you'd better pick them up before the sale ends! ;)

I saw that 24 dudes and it looks like fun but my LBK will have to do for a long time.

Recipe count and use, I am sure there will be no superbowl party here, but my wife might sneak some out of the fridge,

reallly have a use for 5 gallons of brew per batch. NoNoNo.

Comments?

I could use 5 gallon batches, its just that I dont have a way to regulate the temp in a vessel that large. 5 gallons is like what, 2.5 cases? I can drink that in 2 weeks, at the most! Lol

2.2 cases.  If you drink a case a week, hard to keep up without like 4 LBKs.  We drink a quarter of that.

I found a Target with 3 Mr. Beer's on 70% clearance, but I won't be there until early tomorrow afternoon, so we'll see.  None near me have it.

Sometimes I drink that much. Mostly when the weather is hot. Not so much as in winter, but 3 or 4 beers in the evening after work is not out of the question, more on the weekend if football is on.

• Like 1

Full disclosure:  I recently ordered a conical keg from demon.  It hasn't arrived yet, but unless it is 4 times better than an LBK, I can't see myself ordering another one.  Plus their recipes and ingredients are a complete joke.  Mr. Beer doesn't have as many extracts as when I first started, but they still have twice as many as the "other guys."

Sometimes its fun to take 2 or 3 recipes and modify them a little.  Right now I have Uncle Monkey's Dunkel in 2 different kegs.  1 is set up by instruction.  The other has an addition of 1 cup real maple syrup and 1/2 cup of table sugar.

4lbkfermeezer_zpspsc1lxpn-1.jpg

The one on the far right says "Super"

Way too much sugary stuff in that 2nd one. Maple syrup will lose all flavor, and you should never add sugar. With the LME, it will take a very long time to not be cidery.

My issue is that my wife doesn't drink beer. So I have to drink extra just to empty enough bottles so I have enough every 1 or 2 weeks when one of my 2 LBKs is ready. I'd love to have a 3rd LBK, but I don't think I could drink enough beer.

FWIW, I had to order a real(not imitation) maple extract(added @ bottling) to get maple flavor in an ale

Down here nobody carried real maple extract. Even had a GI friend of my sons check in the commissary.

Down here nobody carried real maple extract. Even had a GI friend of my sons check in the commissary.

Someone randomly brought me maple syrup as a gift from up north for Christmas.  They got a good laugh when I told them I used it for beer.

• Like 1

Way too much sugary stuff in that 2nd one. Maple syrup will lose all flavor, and you should never add sugar. With the LME, it will take a very long time to not be cidery.

I imagine the conditioning time will be at least 1 month longer if not 2 due to the added sugar.  But it wasn't so much an attempt to change the flavor a lot but more to change the abv and give it a hint of a something different.

I imagine the conditioning time will be at least 1 month longer if not 2 due to the added sugar. But it wasn't so much an attempt to change the flavor a lot but more to change the abv and give it a hint of a something different.

I think when you look back at this batch it will be on your mistake column. Adding sugar isn't a good idea, maple syrup either - and you wasted real maple syrup that would have been wonderful on pancakes or waffles.

Chase flavor, not ABV.

I could use 5 gallon batches, its just that I dont have a way to regulate the temp in a vessel that large. 5 gallons is like what, 2.5 cases? I can drink that in 2 weeks, at the most! Lol

Just out of curiosity, what kind of temperature problems are you referring to?

Keep trying 'em, you should find one you like. Ales cover such a huge number of styles, so you're missing out if you eliminate them entirely. A lot of them are an acquired taste. I don't know of anyone who enjoyed something like Stone Ruination without working their way up to it. Kolsch and altbier are both ales, try those on for size if you haven't already.

New member here.  Just got back into brewing this month after a nine-year hiatus.  I made my first homebrew with a Mr. Beer kit back in 2005 and got hooked quickly.  Brewed the West Coast Pale Ale to get started, then jumped in with both feet and brewed Big Red One, the Barleywine recipe, and Novacaine.  I like strong ales and those fit the bill.  But then life got in the way and I reluctantly sold all of my equipment in a garage sale.  :(

Last Saturday I stopped by my local Target looking for kitchen utensils when I happened upon the special others here have commented on: LBKs for just $8.98/each!  Jackpot!  I bought all four the store had left.  Then I went on an Internet buying spree and ordered refills from Mr. Beer.  So now I have four batches fermenting--two Dopplebocks, one CAL, and one ESB seasonal.  And I just saw that the Belgian Christmas Ale is on sale for $9.98.  I think I'm gonna have a hell of a pipeline!  :lol:  

• Like 2

The other has an addition of 1 cup real maple syrup and 1/2 cup of table sugar.

You should be OK with the table sugar as long as it's done in moderation. I think 20% of the total fermentable sugars is supposed to be the limit before you might get cidery. Belgian candi sugar is a common ingredient in Belgian beers for example, but it's a little different in that you can get darker candi sugars that have been caramelized to varying degrees. Belgian candi sugar and table sugar are both sucrose. As far as maple syrup goes, Charlie Papazian mentions making beer with it but recommends a gallon of maple syrup per 5 gallon batch, used in a sweeter, fuller-flavored beer, to get good maple flavor. That's a lot of maple syrup! With the maple syrup you're adding sucrose along with the sucrose from the table sugar, and you probably don't know the exact amount of sucrose in the syrup, so it might be a little hard to predict what you're going to end up with. Who knows, it might be delicious. I'm curious to hear how it turns out.

• Like 1

Last week we were out and drove right past a Target (not local) and I never thought to check. This week I had called my 2 local Targets and both had said they didn't have them :( Today we were headed to the next county and driving right by a Target so I checked with them yesterday and they said they had 3, but I could not hold them. :(

Today I stopped and found one :) , and they looked on their handheld and said that was it. I asked about other store's inventory and she told me that both of my stores should have them... On the way home I went into one of them there we none in the Kitchen clearance endcap. :( I asked an employee and she said "I saw them this morning, follow me". They were no where near Kitchen, at the end of an aisle (not on the endcap) on a top shelf. Four of them. :)

For fun I stopped at the last Target (also still on our way home, but SWMBO was not amused) and spent 15 minutes chasing throughout the store with no luck, despite 2 employees helping.

Info:

- $8.98 each. As noted by Rick Z, this is the keg, a can of CAL (skinny), and carb drops. No bottles. Also, the packaging is not at all like the normal packaging, these were made for Target (as Rick Z noted). Keg has a cardboard sleeve over part of it. Says "Beer Barrel" and "Mr. Beer" is in the top corner. When I called to ask about them, one person said "we have a Beer Barrel, but no Mr. Beer".

- Target sku is 070052722. Comes up as Brew Set. You cannot look it up online.

- The store's inventory is crappy. Once it goes on Clearance it's no longer in a physical aisle, so it says "Stockroom N/A, Aisle N/A". Basically it's in the Clearance endcaps in some stores, other stores it's wherever. One store said it had 6, they had 4. One said 2, they had 1. One said 4, they had zero.

- They are about to, if they have not already, "dispose" of them with their other unsold inventory. So if you want one or more, go after them now.

I now have Kegapalooza. I had two, now I have seven. :lol:

post-57583-0-62656900-1422226684_thumb.j

• Like 3

Great success! I went to Target and found a stash of LBK's on an endcap facing the back wall of the home decor section. $8.98 apiece, so I got a couple of them. They came with carbonation drops, which my original kit didn't have, plus the extract, yeast, and sanitizer. You're pretty much getting 4 gallons of free beer. Or 2 gallons of something better, once I combine the cans and throw in some other ingredients.  :)

Next stop, Tar-zhey...

Thank you for using the proper pronunciation!

I've been doing some thinking, and I'm going to see if I can take those 2 cans of cal and make myself a saison or a bier de garde.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, what kind of temperature problems are you referring to?

I was referring to keeping it cool enough. I live on the Gulf Coast. In the summer its hard to keep the fermenters in the 60's.

I was referring to keeping it cool enough. I live on the Gulf Coast. In the summer its hard to keep the fermenters in the 60's.

Same here. It looks like I'll be trying my hand at lagers this summer, and my refrigerator space is limited. Plus with the electric bill being sky-high in the summer I'm not real keen on the idea of getting a brewing-specific refrigerator. Btw thanks for that original post, I would have missed out on the dirt-cheap kits if you hadn't mentioned it. (They're $8.98 at the Target in Metairie.)

Easiest thing is a fermentation chamber. However I live in GA and 2  20 oz bottles in a cooler rotated out twice a day works pretty well here. Though YMMV I used Nottingham once and it took 3 bottles twice a day for 4 days. I use one of these http://www.acurite.com/thermometer-with-wired-probe.html to monitor the temp of the wort by taping the probe below the wort line with a paper towel(folded) between the probe and the tape. Opening the cooler to check the temp, changes the temp.

• Like 2

I think when you look back at this batch it will be on your mistake column. Adding sugar isn't a good idea, maple syrup either - and you wasted real maple syrup that would have been wonderful on pancakes or waffles.

Chase flavor, not ABV.

I have the recipe in 2 different LBKs.  So we'll see if its really bad or not.

First, tried it and didn't like it on pancakes.

Second, if I'm not changing the flavor, what's wrong with upping the ABV?

Sugar, and the maple syrup will thin out the beer, giving it less body, and a dry finish. Much better to add malt.

If you did not like maple syrup on pancakes (gasp!) why would you think you would like it in beer?

vakko, on 25 Jan 2015 - 9:58 PM, said:vakko, on 25 Jan 2015 - 9:58 PM, said:

I have the recipe in 2 different LBKs.  So we'll see if its really bad or not.

First, tried it and didn't like it on pancakes.

Second, if I'm not changing the flavor, what's wrong with upping the ABV?

It's how you go about it. Malt is sugar(s) but won't thin the brew or dry it out. Adds body and flavor, while either way gets the same result. If you chase flavor, the ABV will come along for the ride. Not so with chasing ABV.

• Like 1

I found my second lbk at a local goodwill for 6 bucks had bottles and all. Never been opened

WOW! Great score!! :ph34r:

• Like 1

Easiest thing is a fermentation chamber. However I live in GA and 2  20 oz bottles in a cooler rotated out twice a day works pretty well here. Though YMMV I used Nottingham once and it took 3 bottles twice a day for 4 days. I use one of these http://www.acurite.com/thermometer-with-wired-probe.html to monitor the temp of the wort by taping the probe below the wort line with a paper towel(folded) between the probe and the tape. Opening the cooler to check the temp, changes the temp.

Yup.. this is the exact setup I use also.  Works great.  Just have to find the frozen bottle ratio that works for what temp you are fermenting for.

• Like 1

It's how you go about it. Malt is sugar(s) but won't thin the brew or dry it out. Adds body and flavor, while either way gets the same result. If you chase flavor, the ABV will come along for the ride. Not so with chasing ABV.

Again, lol, not trying to change the flavor.  Wanted to use the same recipe twice and "spice" one of them up.

We'll see what happens in a few months.