Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
berty6294

Chilled Beer Too Soon

So I am very new to brewing, and decided to try out a Mr. Beer kit as my first brew. Process has gone smoothly, 2 weeks in keg and tasted good so I bottled and gave it 2 weeks in them. Tasted a bottle and I thought it tasted good so I put my bottles in the fridge.

Today I cracked open a beer to enjoy with my dinner and to my surprise it tasted very poor. Its very hard to explain the taste but I can only imagine it is the yeast I am tasting.

Is it too late for me to move the beer from the fridge back into my fermenting closet? They have been in the fridge for almost 2 weeks.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! I am new but very eager to learn! Thanks in advance!

Put them back in the closet and let them sit 4 weeks. Next time ferment for 3 weeks, then bottle and condition for 4.

• Like 4

Did you drink out of the bottle? Not recommended. On the first bottle that you tasted warm, did you reseal it or drink it warm?

When you are done carbonating and conditioning at room temp, make sure they are in the frig for at least 3 days. Then, POUR SLOWLY, taking care not to disturb the trub at the bottom (dead yeast) while you pour, and leave the last 1/4 inch in the bottle.

• Like 1

Look at epete go!  Six months as a homebrewer and now he is answering like a pro.  Thanks epete and RickBeer for keeping up with our new brewers.

• Like 2

The warm taste was right out of the bottle and yes I did reseal it. It is also the same bottle I tasted after being chilled. Could that be my problem? I feel like that is such a rookie mistake.

I feel like the dead yeast shouldn't be in the bottle, because I left the trub in the keg when I bottled.

Is your suggestion popping another bottle and pouring it into a glass to taste? This sounds like a lot of wasted beer, but hey its all part of the learning!

Thank you for the quick responses!

Yes, that is exactly your problem.  When you opened that bottle you let out gas, and then resealing it - like resealing a soda, it went flat.  Have you ever opened a soda when you got home from the store, then put the cap back on and waited two weeks to drink it?  I don't think so.  

Second, there is yeast floating in your beer, in suspension.  When you put the sugar in the bottle, the yeast feeds on it, producing carbonation.  If there was no yeast, all your beer would be flat (and there is no way to have no yeast by the way).

I would suggest removing all of them and have them at room temp for 4 weeks total, excluding the time in the frig.  Then, put ONE bottle in, and 3 days later GENTLY pour it into a glass, leaving the last 1/4 in the bottle.  I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised.

There will be no wasted beer, because it will be fine, so you will drink it with a smile on your face.  Of course, within a few hours it will depart your body, but if you call that waste then why drink any beer.   :)

• Like 2

you did leave the trübe behind but when you added sugar in the bottles the yeasts in suspension begin making trübe again. you can see this very thing in lots of craft brews...

• Like 1

Now those couple bottles I pop for testing though, they can't be recovered can they? And it wasn't that it was flat, I understand what flat beer is. Will the popping the bottle mess with the taste as well or just flatness? Cause flatness aside I should still be able to differentiate the taste? I think?

I'll take your suggestion of letting the condition for 4 more weeks. In the future, is the 2-2-2 rule not the one to follow?

The rule most follow is 3-4.  3 weeks fermenting, 4 weeks carbonating and conditioning at room temp.  2-2-2 sometimes referred to the final "2" in the frig, which most don't agree with.  3-2-2 is confusing, so 3-4 is what I suggest.

You aren't following my explanation. You are NOT popping bottles for "testing".  You wait 4 weeks, throw 1 bottle in the frig for 3 days, then open it AND DRINK IT.  If you like it, throw some more in for at least 3 days, but let the rest continue to condition - the longer the better.  Some take 6 weeks, some longer, but in generally 4 weeks is fairly good.

If you do open the beer and then reseal it, yes it will go flat - and the lack of carbonation will does impact your taste perception somewhat.  And stirring up the yeast (assuming you drank out of the bottle) will also impact the taste.

• Like 1

RickBeer, you are my hero! I completely understand what you are saying now!

So I'm going to toss this already opened bottle (its bad) and let the rest condition for 4 more weeks. I will then chill one of those beers for at least 3 days and try. If good, the rest go in the fridge. If not I'll give the rest another week or 2 and try another single beer in the fridge.

In the future 3 in keg, 4 in bottles, try a beer, and go from there!

Thank you soo much, you have told me everything I've been trying to learn and needed to hear!

Bad??? May not be the best but DO NOT TOSS THAT BOTTLE. Drink up.

We do not talk of TOSSING BOTTLES in the forum. There are people in your own community that are alcohol insecure and don't know when they may get their next beer.

I have consumed: flat beer, skunked beer, over carbed beer, lacto bacillus infected beer, sour beer... I even drank some beer that sat in a garage in Michigan all year long for a couple years. it was horrid and not something I will ever repeat...

but the only beer I would ever 'dump' would be beer that smelled like poop... which I have never experienced because of how hard it is for bad things to survive in beer.

may the beer gods forgive berty6294 and bless them with better beer in the future!

• Like 1