Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
trucker

My first batch bottled

So after 3 weeks in LBK I bottled my beer today. I filled 24 12Oz bottles and some left over is that normal I figured it might be cause of all the sludge at the bottom of the keg.post-65037-0-80433500-1421184010_thumb.j

So here's the thing.  Measured properly, the LBK makes 2.13 gallons which is filling it to the 8.5 Quart line.  That's 22.72 12 ounce bottles.  So, if you got 24 bottles and left trub at the bottom, you likely put a bit too much water into the LBK when you topped it off.  No problem, but your beer is a bit weaker, that's all.

I at most get 21 bottles.  

• Like 1

That's a very good yield.  You got 288 ounces of usable beer from the LBK.  The standard yield is 8 liters, or 270 ounces.  The whole thing is that you need to leave some head room for the krausen(foam) and CO2 gases, especially if you don't want an overflow or worse yet the lid blowing off.  It's a fine art as to how full you can go before having problems.  That depends on various factors.  I've been able to consistently get 9 good liters of beer(304 ounces) and often have a 12 ounce trub bottle as well(312 ounces total).  I'd say you did great.

To clarify Joe, you put more water in to get your 9 liters, right?

Good point, Rick.  Not just water.  Whenever we add more water volume, we also add more fermentables to maintain the body and flavor, depending on the recipe and the intended outcome.  Want to keep the balance consistent along with the extra volume.  Easy as pie.

Right, I knew you did that.  My point to the OP was that if you follow the directions exactly, you get 8.5 quarts, so if he ended up with 24 bottles he intentionally / unintentionally overfilled.

I made a few batches where I added LME and water to 2.5 gallons as you know.  It was fine, but better when you add some steeping grains and hops in my opinion.

Ok so I thought I filled it exactly to the 8.5 mark but I could of accidentally put more in now when I filled my bottles I stop filling when it reached the neck of the bottle so I probably lost an ounce or two in each bottle

Right, I knew you did that.  My point to the OP was that if you follow the directions exactly, you get 8.5 quarts, so if he ended up with 24 bottles he intentionally / unintentionally overfilled.

I made a few batches where I added LME and water to 2.5 gallons as you know.  It was fine, but better when you add some steeping grains and hops in my opinion.

Ok so I thought I filled it exactly to the 8.5 mark but I could of accidentally put more in now when I filled my bottles I stop filling when it reached the neck of the bottle so I probably lost an ounce or two in each bottle

Hope we didn't sound too serious.  That little extra won't make a huge difference.  We can get carried away striving for perfection, and that's not at all a bad thing.  But we have to temper that with a little sense of humor about it, too.  I've beaten myself up plenty over missing small details, and it's not a good thing.  You're doing fine. Don't forget that having fun is an essential ingredient in this hobby

Glad you mentioned the hops too.  I forgot to say that along with the extra malt.  Sometimes the extra volume requires extra hops, depending on what you're doing.  I guess I leave that last half liter in the LBK in form of trub and cloudy beer.  That would give me 8 liters of usable botttled beer.  Going to 9 liters or even 2.5 gallons of clear beer is a great idea.  I'm excited now because I've been washing and reusing the same yeast for some 13 batches now and it seems to have become terribly efficient for attenuation while at the same time not blowing out any overflow when I fill the LBK to the max.  Makes me a real happy camper.

On a 12 ounce bottle 1/2 - 1 inch of headroom is all you need. So that is how you got extra bottles. No big deal.

It might haze up when you cool it

If it does, just send it to me and I'll give it a thorough kidney strain before properly disposing of it.

So after 3 weeks in LBK I bottled my beer today. I filled 24 12Oz bottles and some left over is that normal I figured it might be cause of all the sludge at the bottom of the keg.attachicon.gif2015-01-13 16.19.18.jpg

DID YOU USE A MR. BEER AUTO SIPHON?  DID YOU  USE TWO DVD CASES TO FORCE THE SEDIMENT AWAY FROM THE TAP?  REALLY CURIOUS AS I BOTTLE MY FIRST BATCH ON THIS COMING SATURDAY.

auto syphon in an LBK would be a bit*h kitty.  the cd cases do work, I put them under the front at the start of fermentation. your going to get some trübe in the last bottle anyway. mark it with something or put it in a special place among the others. that one might be drinkable in 3 weeks(heavy on the might).