Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mzelek87

Is my beer working?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if my beer was actually brewing correctly. It has been roughly 2 weeks and there is some trub on the bottom of the LBK however it only looks like powder on the top. I am hoping this is residual krausen and not yeast that is somehow floating up top not accomplishing anything. There was some foaming earlier on in the process.I am hoping that I am just being paranoid and that its normal for approximately this time period. I have been keeping up with the posts and am mostly sure I did everything properly.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah it's probably leftover from the krausen, I wouldn't sweat it yet. Post a pic if you want so we can have a look-see.

By the way, here's what my batch looks like after a week. Still pretty krauseny, if that's a word.

*****WARNING: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!*****

P1010465_zps097f9ee5.jpg

• Like 1

Haha "if that's a word". I tried putting up a picture I took on my phone but apparently it's too large of a photo even after I tried cropping it. It just looks like powder floatong.

Opening the LBK, unless you are adding fruit, isn't a great idea... Lets oxygen in and CO out...

If you have a layer of trub, you are all set. Walk away from the LBK.

I never opened my lbk which is why even the pictures I did get even if I can't post them here don't look so great. Its in my dark closet so the flash kept glaring but if trub is the main thing to look for then I am set. Thanks again guys

Opening the LBK, unless you are adding fruit, isn't a great idea... Lets oxygen in and CO out...

If you have a layer of trub, you are all set. Walk away from the LBK.

Yeah, yeah...I'll add a disclaimer.  :lol:

• Like 2

Hahaha I love the disclaimer. You guys are too fumany. Also I am quite relieved that you guys think I'm ok. As I said in my original post,I am sure I am being paranoid

• Like 1

Haha "if that's a word". I tried putting up a picture I took on my phone but apparently it's too large of a photo even after I tried cropping it. It just looks like powder floatong.

If it starts looking like mold, there could a problem. I know you're not supposed to open the fermenter, but if you throw caution to the wind and open it for a few seconds (much easier to do with the lbk than a 5 gallon bucket with those pain in the ass lids) it should smell like beer and not have anything which is an off color (green or black for example). Check this out and see if it's like yours: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/white-powder-top-409634/

I never opened my lbk which is why even the pictures I did get even if I can't post them here don't look so great. Its in my dark closet so the flash kept glaring but if trub is the main thing to look for then I am set. Thanks again guys

Yeah this site is picky about picture size. I have to resize mine way down if I take them with my real camera instead of my phone.

Yeah this site is picky about picture size. I have to resize mine way down if I take them with my real camera instead of my phone.

Let me take a look on the picture size.  We may be able to do something about that.

• Like 1

Oh and watch....I'm being all smart-assy about opening my lbk and this will be the first time my beer gets infected. I'm long overdue, I should keep my mouth shut!

No no it doesn't look like that at all. I wish I could get my pics on here bit can't with the size limit

Let me take a look on the picture size.  We may be able to do something about that.

It might not be something you want to change. To be fair, my pictures were pretty big. 

It kind of looks like randomly floating trub (white in color and occurring in extremely small light patches) and there is also what appears to be some trub stuck on the boarder of where the wort stops at the top of the lbk (around the 8.5 mark). Does that all sound normal? I have noticed that there is more bubbles and krausen then I realized when I made this post.

Yeast rafts? Go on... this is the part where you explain what the hell a yeast raft is and we all laugh at my naive paranoia and I thank everyone for the advice knowing my brewing is going on as planned

Not unusual to have bits of yeast floating on top. If they're stuck together it looks like a raft. I think you're OK.

• Like 1

Ok great! I feel better now! And I do sincerely thank you all for your time and advice,I even had some of the users I follow the most on this thread. I was starting to think it was probably part of my learning curve and hoping it was me second guessing myself.

cant remember if it was danstar nottingham or us04 but once i opened my fermenter to be greeted by orangy floating yeast rafts all over the top. good thing i could come here and panic and be assured that it was ok.. nothing to be alarmed over.   :)

Yes exactly! I think a lot of us who are new to brewing tend to panic over the slightest changes because there is so much downtime while waiting for the wort to ferment and condition. And I am thankful to have a community like this to increase my knowledge on brewing and to keep my worries low and my hopes high!

• Like 1

it's like any new thing you do. if you have nothing to base your experiences on, the tendency is to panic.  it really is silly when you think about it though. it's just beer... 30 bucks of ingredients and the time you invest into it. yet, some of us (like me) develop new daddy syndrome where any time the baby so much as farts it is reason to panic.  fortunately it gets better with each batch you successfully make. 

in no time, you'll be answering posts and rolling your eyes at the next batch of newbs when they run here in a panic...

OMG! THERES FUZZY STUFF ALL OVER THE TOP OF MY BEER! DID I MURDER MY YEAST???  *snort*   my personal fav panic attack on my second beer batch:

OMG! IT"S BEEN AN HOUR AND NOTHINGS HAPPENING!!!!! I MUSTVE KILLED MY YEAST!!!!  lol!  the good ole days   :)

• Like 1

NEVER!   mr beer should invent a lbk with a built in scanning electron microscope and display screen!!!! now THAT would be something I would buy!!!!!  imagine watching the yeasties eat, mate, and pee alcohol in IMAX VISTAVISION!!!! REAL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh my... now I went and got myself all worked up... time for my meds.

• Like 4

"It's like any new thing you do. if you have nothing to base your experiences on, the tendency is to panic. it really is silly when you think about it though. it's just beer... 30 bucks of ingredients and the time you invest into it. yet, some of us (like me) develop new daddy syndrome where any time the baby so much as farts it is reason to panic. fortunately it gets better with each batch you successfully make."

Oh yea I'm sure of it. Right now I'm working on my first batch so I don't have much of anything aside from what I read on here to base my progress off of.

Rickbeer, what does it mean to perv the lbk?

Stop staring at it. Get away from it, leave it alone for 21 days. Stop being obsessed with it. You're "being a perv", i.e. pervert...

• Like 2

can we drinks it my precious? is it beersy? is it tasty?

it's homebrew...of course it is!

• Like 1

rick- I look at it like this (turns head sideways)... and then I think to myself, self? I am like the god of the yeast in this here fermenter. it is my job to be ever-present and benevolent. there are over 200 billion critters in there that I am responsible for... and so I not only care for them but watch with pride. they offer up to me beer as a sacrifice too! sometimes in the still of night I can almost hear their songs of praise to me as I loom over the fermenter!  200 billion tiny voices all singing "HOSANA! and GLORY to our gracious benefactor!"

to merely shove them in and tuck them away for 21 days would make me an absentee landlord... a callous and indifferent host!  .. and when they have finished and I accept their offering of beer, I take the fermenter  trub out to the yard and return them to the earth with thanks.

one day I am certain I will find a statue of me lovingly formed in krausen in the fermenter!

• Like 3

Zorak, that last post reminds me of the alien toys in the claw machine in "Toy Story."

I am on week 2 and never opened, created a go no go alarm for temp, Want a chilled cooling coil that feeds from the top of the LBK. Florida Ambient is bad for beer making.

You can see the particles collecting on the lower sides and the top foams a bit all the time, there are ice bottles on the side for cooling.

Picked up a 2nd LBK on Ebay arrived today with some good direction on recipe.

Heading to lhbs tommorow for some materials.

Cheerspost-65304-0-11111900-1421973379_thumb.j

zorak1066, on 14 Jan 2015 - 12:47 AM, said:zorak1066, on 14 Jan 2015 - 12:47 AM, said:

new daddy syndrome

I'd like to point out that the first kid gets that treatment...drops his binky, it gets p/u and sterilized then given back. FF... Third kid drops his binky, you pick it up /wipe it off/ and stick it back in his mouth. 'Cause by now you've come to realize these little suckers are really nearly indestructible, with just nominal care. :lol:

i have to fight really hard to not take all kinds of pics of the fermentation at its various stages to show to ppl at work....

and here is a pic of Skippy where you can just see the krausen beginning to form.. isn't he special?

now this one shows the krausen getting taller and oooo look! there's trub on the bottom of the fermenter! what a clever fermentation!

oh youre going to love this one. this was taken just after the krausen fell ALL ON ITS OWN! you can see some hop dust  and yeast rafts floating on top.. such a messy little thing.

this is me after everything is done and in the bottle... (frowny face)... Skippy's all grown up...but wait! bottle carbing is making more trub and krausen IN THE BOTTLES!!! (gush... taking pics then rushing to post online)..

• Like 2

NEVER!   mr beer should invent a lbk with a built in scanning electron microscope and display screen!!!! now THAT would be something I would buy!!!!!  imagine watching the yeasties eat, mate, and pee alcohol in IMAX VISTAVISION!!!! REAL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh my... now I went and got myself all worked up... time for my meds.

I'll get started on that right away! :P

You guys are really starting to worry me,

I  think the Ale has started to aproximate an equally endeavored pendulum from might or musk of canyon carvers.

Lets make Beer and leave the stainless attributes to the pole dancers.

Cheers, M!!!

Update: I bottled this first batch yesterday. I sampled a tiny bit and it was actually pretty good! Now to start my next batch and play the waiting game haha

• Like 4