Mr.Beer Community
RickBeer

More guidelines than actual rules - the RIGHT WAY to brew

THIS APPEARS TO BE GOOD, SOUND AND PRAGMATIC ADVICE BASED ON EXPERIENCE.  I WILL DEFINITELY TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT. B)  

well, i have to reply to this for my first post. this is a great write up for beginners. i got my LBK as a gift for x-mas. found out about the forum right away and have been reading nonstop since. it can get confusing but to the people who are truly interested will do the homework. i'm hoping to get more involved as things go, seems like a great place to be!

anyways, again great write up.

p.s. first batch ever in fermentation stage for 5 days now! so exited!

Thank you Rick! You recently helped me out on my first batch in another thread, I wish I could have read this sooner! Thank you soo much, this has been bookmarked!

Thanks, I got my first brewing kit watched the video and dived right in. I should have done my homework before I started but I'm too impatient for that. They only mistake I know I made so far was brewing my beer too hot. I thought the air temp should be around 72 so that's what I kept it at and only for 2 weeks not 3. So my first batch might not be the best but I like to learn from trial and error. I just got my refill it's a mexican style beer. I'm going to do a little more research before I jump into this one. My beer has been bottled for 2.5 weeks and some are still soft others are rock hard. I've been told that they don't all carbonate at the same rate. I'm going to leave them in for four weeks and hope I haven't completely screwed up this first batch.

Mr B.

Ricks post should be stickied and posted on "advice for new brewers". Maybe you could publish his work here and include it in your kits. I am going to print it out, frame it, and hang it above my LBK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I got my first brewing kit watched the video and dived right in. I should have done my homework before I started but I'm too impatient for that. They only mistake I know I made so far was brewing my beer too hot. I thought the air temp should be around 72 so that's what I kept it at and only for 2 weeks not 3. So my first batch might not be the best but I like to learn from trial and error. I just got my refill it's a mexican style beer. I'm going to do a little more research before I jump into this one. My beer has been bottled for 2.5 weeks and some are still soft others are rock hard. I've been told that they don't all carbonate at the same rate. I'm going to leave them in for four weeks and hope I haven't completely screwed up this first batch.

I fermented at a higher room temperature for several batches before I realized the error of my ways. They tasted ok, but given time they started to taste better. I was impatient and did not have a pipeline, so I usually ended up with them almost gone before they started to taste 'right'.

rick -you will of course send me a complimentary copy of your upcoming book ?  I will review it on amazon for you.

Hey Rickbeer, I am a new brewer, got mine at xmas also, like most on this forum. I am at day 14 right now of fermentation, was going to bottle, but after reading this post I have decide to wait another week to bottle. I learned long ago to listen to people who " have been there and done that"!!!. Thanks for the post and I am going to print this out and hang it over my LBK!!!

Hey Rickbeer, I am a new brewer, got mine at xmas also, like most on this forum. I am at day 14 right now of fermentation, was going to bottle, but after reading this post I have decide to wait another week to bottle. I learned long ago to listen to people who " have been there and done that"!!!. Thanks for the post and I am going to print this out and hang it over my LBK!!!

An excellent decision, and welcome to the hobby!  My own brewing has greatly improved thanks to the advice of the knowledgeable and experienced folks here.

rick -you will of course send me a complimentary copy of your upcoming book ?  I will review it on amazon for you.

That was his book.

• Like 1

From my vast experience (been brewing for 5 weeks now) RickBeer is my go to guy for advice. I don't even have to ask...just search and read...someone at my level has already asked...usually multiple people have asked the same question. Not everyone agrees with him, and that's good too, but whether you do or not, there is something to learn.

For myself, I am experimenting. I want to know when and how a green beer tastes. I am adding some equipment and stretching my wings out just a little bit. Will I become a master brewer like Rick? I doubt .but I am having a TON OF FUN and can't wait for my next brew to begin!

• Like 2

Had my kit for almost a month and spent that time researching before I started brewing. I am in day 3 of brewing my first batch and it is ALMOST anti climatic.  I feel like I know what I am doing and just executing. I did all my obessing pre-brew and I am letting it do it's thing. Allthough when I checked at 24 hours and saw the picture perfect foam I must admit my newbie was full on!  LOL

• Like 1

Had my kit for almost a month and spent that time researching before I started brewing. I am in day 3 of brewing my first batch and it is ALMOST anti climatic.  I feel like I know what I am doing and just executing. I did all my obessing pre-brew and I am letting it do it's thing. Allthough when I checked at 24 hours and saw the picture perfect foam I must admit my newbie was full on!  LOL

Only a month?   :lol:   I got my kit in mid-Feb 2012 and brewed my first batch on June 28th...   

Only a month?   :lol:   I got my kit in mid-Feb 2012 and brewed my first batch on June 28th...   

Gotcha both beat.  Bought my kit sometime in 2002 and brewed my first batch in Dec. 2014.

So I followed the instructions and did the 2-2-2.  The first batch is in the fridge on the last week.  I tasted one, not great.  Can I take them all out put back in the cupboard? Or is it a write off?

I also have the Northwest Pale Ale in the 8Lx fermenting on week 3.  

Yes.  Take them out.  They will warm and start conditioning tomorrow.  Go another two weeks, from tomorrow, on top of the two warm weeks you already had.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the what has to be the fastest Forums response!   :)

They are back in the cupboard. So why doesn't Mr Beer change the information if the majority feels the same? I realize its not a perfect science, and thank goodness!  Otherwise it wouldn't be this fun!  I'm sure that has been asked and probably answered. Ill keep digging.

***NWPA - 4 weeks, will do!

• Like 1

The change is because there's no rule that covers every recipe.  However, longer is more efficient, safer, and tastier.

Tastier is the big thing, too.  Because Mr. Beer wants people to make beer they enjoy so they will buy more.  Everyone wins.

The main reason is that the shorter period makes adequate beer if your tastes are for BMC.  Mr. Beer has had these guidelines for a while, and Craft beers are skyrocketing in demand.  The longer period means that people who want everything YESTERDAY may not take up the hobby, and for those that do Mr. Beer will sell less product to them because it takes longer to make beer.

Remember, for every 100 people that buy from Mr. Beer maybe 1 or 2 if that ever find this forum.

This interwebs-thingy might catch on. Just think about all the mistakes I am avoiding. Back when I was in college, one of my friends said he used socks to strain his - I'm guessing for a grain boil, but still... :unsure: 

Part of the ethos of this is the community - no real competition, at least not until you REALLY compete. Everyone shares their tips and their mistakes so we newcomers can make something we are proud of and enjoy. I will undoubtedly do something stupid somewhere along the line but I will 'fess up here (probably on the thread that says " this is not a good idea in the first place and why") to save the next newcomer.  Three years and 20+ nearly continuous batches and I am still learning every batch.

So, if you're coming through southwest Ohio, give a yell and stop in for whatever is ready. 

• Like 3

Rick, I'm guessing that your post count goes way up in the couple of months after the holiday gift-giving season when a lot of kits land in the hands of noobs, rookies and lapsed, returning use-to-brews. I personally really appreciate your generous advice and your obviously enormous patience and tolerance.

In Texas, we'd offer to buy a guy like that a cold beer, but I think you already have plenty. :)

Thanks man!

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2015 at 3:46 PM, RickBeer said:

The main reason is that the shorter period makes adequate beer if your tastes are for BMC.  Mr. Beer has had these guidelines for a while, and Craft beers are skyrocketing in demand.  The longer period means that people who want everything YESTERDAY may not take up the hobby, and for those that do Mr. Beer will sell less product to them because it takes longer to make beer.

Remember, for every 100 people that buy from Mr. Beer maybe 1 or 2 if that ever find this forum.

I know I am replying to an OLD post but....

From what I can see, Mr Beer makes beer that satisfies both demands.

With the simplest kits, you can get beer almost yesterday, (maybe not the best beer but drinkable and recognizable as beer). And it will be better if you wait until tomorrow :-).

With the more complicated kits you can get "Craft-beer" like beer. I think using published recipes is the best way to improve success. It does take  a bit if work to actually get something that tastes like good Craft beer from a tap in a brew pub though and I get that rarely. I think the major difference is hop content and influence, and the second, the malty flavors and the fact that I tend to improvise recipes a lot.

But on occasion I do make some really nice brews.

However that said - I am sure I will be told to go "All Grain" to fix that  - lol.

I am still experimenting to improve the output quality but within the limits I set myself of using Mr B HME, + LME/DME + some hops but not complicated boiling, choice of yeasts, reasonable but not fanatical temperature control, and duration of fermentation, carbonation and maturation.

Often quality is low as I sample too soon, because I am curious, but I like to understand the process and results so I do experiment.

If one experiments, one is going to get more less than perfect results. So you have to expect a variety of results.

I do make some mixes of malts/hops  that taste strange with the HMEs. The flavors do not meld well. But some are good,

I am willing to accept this as part of my entertainment in this hobby.

If you are not - don't experiment.

• Like 3

Regarding "almost yesterday" I tried a "dregs" bottle of the Calavera Spiced Chile Stout that was bottled 12/22/16.  It was already very drinkable, and I shared a tasting with 2 other folks that really liked it. So that would be a pretty quick beer. I am sure it will improve with  more time, I am not planning on drinking the rest any time soon. 

• Like 1