Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
adam88king

wondering which refill/recipe to do next

I'm just starting to break away from the light beers that i have drank for ever (i.e. coors light busch light) and i dont have any idea where to go with the recipes. I'm doing a batch of classic american light right now just because it came with it and have ordered the recipe for all american gold...taking baby steps.  Thinking on ordering the american lager and the braverian weiss because they both just seem to trip my trigger but i dont want to get bored with just doing the HME and yeast....any help along the journey from water beer to good beer would be apreciated!

It helps to know what you like so you can try to replicate that style or flavor with a recipe.  If you don't really know what you like, go to a store that sells single beers and build a sixer to try different things.  Once you find styles that you like, look for that recipe or one close to it.  It would be pretty bad to brew a batch of something and then not be able to drink it because you just can't stand it.

Start simple with wheats, ambers and browns.  Try an IPA if like bitterness.  Or try it to see if you like bitterness.  I would suggest to drink two of something to make sure you give it a fair chance.  I was halfway through my second Sierra Nevada Pale Ale before I realized that I really did like that bitter brew.

Happy drinking!

Keep it simple and do the reads as well as http://howtobrew.com/ when you feel comfortable move up to steeps. Like you said baby steps. Proceeding too fast resulting in bad beer is the biggest reason folks give up on this hobby

The key is what you like.  I hate light beers.  I don't like IPAs, or APAs, or any PAs.  Browns, Stouts, Porters.

Mr. Beer's site lets you play around and select beers that match your likes.  Order a few, try them, and experiment.  

Also note that you will NOT be able to make a commercial beer with Mr. Beer refills.  So don't go try a beer like Bell's Oberon and think you are going to then go brew it with a Mr. Beer refill.  

Thanks I picked up some blue moon the other night and tried that and enjoyed it. What would be another commercial beer that would be similar to that? Would i be going the right direction trying some bravarian weiss recipes then?

Bavarian Weissbier would be the Mr. Beer refills that is wheat beer, so yes, that would be the base to focus on.  If you're looking for commercial wheat beers, there are many - Bell's Oberon, Sam Adam's Coastal Wheet, White Lantern.  

Here's a list of 1,591: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/93/  ;)

Don't know where you are at, but maybe try some Craft Brews.

A Pennsylvania brewery, Troegs, makes Dreamweaver Wheat. Their beers are top notch and popular in the region.

Wheat beers are incredibly easy to make. Especially your basic hefeweizen. Keep in mind though that it won't clear up like a typical beer due to the high amount of proteins from the wheat. Wheat beers are usually naturally cloudy (the exception being many commercial brands that filter their beers). We have several weissbeer recipes, but the ones I recommend would be our "Who's Your Hefe, German Hefeweizen", our "Wild Wheat", or our "Belgian Blanc" (probably closest to Blue Moon than the others). There are also a multitude of recipes in our Basic/Advanced Recipes subforums and on this amazing fan-made site: http://www.mrbeerfans.com/ubbthreads/.

Happy brewing!

Once you start trying new styles, you will be amazed at the way your preferences change.  Blue moon today, Chimay Red tomorrow.  

Lupulin threshold shift.  It's a real thing...

I'm just starting to break away from the light beers that i have drank for ever (i.e. coors light busch light) and i dont have any idea where to go with the recipes. I'm doing a batch of classic american light right now just because it came with it and have ordered the recipe for all american gold...taking baby steps.  Thinking on ordering the american lager and the braverian weiss because they both just seem to trip my trigger but i dont want to get bored with just doing the HME and yeast....any help along the journey from water beer to good beer would be apreciated!

I can tell you that I've tried the Craft selections of MrB and you can't go wrong there.   I am going to get some more soon ... been doing AG's for a while.