Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Christheswede

Mold inside LBK

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone.

Today I was about to start my second batch of Mr.Beer and when I was inspecting my LBK I found some gathering of mold in the bottom of the keg. I know sanitation and keeping all the equipment clean is fundamentals so will the LBK still be ok to use after a bunch of rinsing and cleaning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are you certain it is mold?  was it put away wet or damp in a basement the last time you used it?  cleaned and dried when you stored it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was me, I'd toss it and order another one for 10 bucks. Otherwise, I'd scrub it out with a soft brush and detergent, then bleach the sh** out of it, remembering to wash the bleach out very thoroughly. Not straight bleach, but a solution of about 1 tbsp of bleach per gallon of H2O. Rinse and repeat as much as you can stand, and hope for the best :-) But again, I would just throw it out. Not worth the risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

use a soft rag. don't want to scratch the keg inside. . . then the bleach / rinse repeat thing... then make a batch of starsan... fill the lbk  and leave it set for awhile. rinse  dry real well.  again I find myself asking 'is it really mold?' and if so why?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's mold. It looked like two small "colonies" at the very bottom of the inside of the keg. I guess I did a poor job cleaning it after the first time I used it. It might have had some water left in it and it sat in the same dark spot where I fermented the beer.

I've cleaned it with soap and water and have since rinsed it with water for two days. Idk maybe I should just get a new keg. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd argue that you took care of it.

Washing the LBK good is a top priority. I always let mine dry before putting them away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if the keg wasn't scratched up inside I would try the starsan soak or iodophor soak, rinse, dry very well... and give it a try with another batch. but then I'm a cheap b******* anyway.

 

iodophor and starsan are great sanitizers. ive used both.

 

heres a thought.... smell your keg. can you after having washed it , dried it.. can you smell ANYTHING moldy? musty?  if it smells like plastic and not moldy basement I would try to sanitize and reuse it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The keg is not screated up inside and I did not notice any off smells at all. I think I actullay will use this keg again. I will try doing a couple of starsan cleans aswell.

 

Quick and maybe stupid question. Is there an easy way to see if the beer is contamitaded in the early stages of fermentation? How will any bad bacteria and mold present themselves in the beer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.  In short, don't even bother looking.  When it's done fermenting at 21 days, taste it before bottling. If it tastes like flat beer, not sweet, and not awful, you're good to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very difficult to tell in the early stages. It's always best to just leave it alone to do it's thing until ready to bottle. Then you'll know if you've had any contamination. Sanitation is the most important part of brewing. After all, you're not making the beer, the yeast is. You're simply giving the yeast a suitable, sanitary environment to thrive and do their job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right.  When they made beer in the old days of monks and Robin Hood, how do you think their sanitation was?

 

It is very rare to get an infection in your beer.  Brew enough, and you might, but you'll know it the minute you taste it at bottling time, believe me.  

 

Make your beer, put it in a dark place to ferment for 21 days, and stop perving the LBK!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With washing out my LBK after my last batch, I decided to add another step to my process.  I used some of the sanitation stuff and sanitized it before setting it upside down in a tray to dry.  Of course I'll rinse it out good and sanitize it again when I start my next batch tomorrow.  But it's always good to be safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used some of the sanitation stuff and sanitized it before setting it upside down in a tray to dry.  Of course I'll rinse it out good and sanitize it again when I start my next batch tomorrow.  But it's always good to be safe.

This is how I always do it. Like you said, it's always good to be safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though it wasn't in the instructions, and I didnt see it on the forum before, I also saved the sanitizer from the bottling and swished it around inside the LBK after I washed all the trub out. Of course I'll wash and sanitize it again before my next batch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you removed the spout, thoroughly dried the LBK, and put the lid back on loosely I don't see how mold would have formed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you removed the spout, thoroughly dried the LBK, and put the lid back on loosely I don't see how mold would have formed

The OP noted that the LBK was likely wet.

 

You should not dry an LBK with a towel, let it air dry.  No reason to get towel lint inside the LBK plus any contaminant that might be on the towel.  Always remove the spout and clean it - I disassemble the two spout components also.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...