Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
spatu

ABBEY DUBBEL recipe need help with Saaz Hop addition

Good morning everyone,

This is my first post, I purchased Mr.Beer a week ago and I am ready to brew my first batch of beer.

I went through all the FAQs and tried to find a solution by myself but I have to ask for the powerful help of the community!

I just purchased a Abbey Dubbel recipe http://www.mrbeer.com/abbey-dubbel-recipe

I already went through a series of helpful videos on Youtube and I have a theoretical understanding of the prep process of brewing beer.

The only thing that I am doubtful about this recipe is the adding of the Saaz Hops, in fact a lot of users in the review of the recipe are underlining this lack of information as a "cons".

Someone already tried this recipe?

Could you help me out?

When I have to add this ingredient? For how long? At which temperature? Do I have to boil it with the wort or I have to add it when the flame is off?

I really thank you in advance and I really look forward to be a proactive member of this community!

Interesting.  Perhaps the cons need to work on their reading skills (see below).  Many Mr. Beer recipes have you adding hops at flameout, this one does not.

Before step 9, sanitize the hop sack by either placing it in some sanitizer for 10 minutes or boiling up a few cups of water, then remove from heat and add the hop sack, letting it soak in the former boiling water for a few minutes.  Then, remove it with sanitized tongs (or very clean fingers) and insert the hops into it.  

I don't see why they mentioned a second sack since this recipe only has one sack.  They do provide two packets of No Rinse sanitizer for this purpose.

1. Remove the yeast packet from under the lid of the can of hopped malt extract (HME), it's not needed for this recipe, then place the unopened can and LME softpack in hot tap water.a
  2. Using the measuring cup, pour 4 cups of water into your clean 3-quart or larger pot, then bring water to a boil, then remove from heat
  3. Open the HMEb and the LME, pour the contents into the hot mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed. This mixture of unfermented beer is called wort.
  4. Fill keg with cold tap water to the 4-quart mark on the back.c
  5. Pour the wort into the keg, and then bring the volume of the keg to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more cold water. Stir vigorously with the spoon or whisk. d
  6. Sprinkle ONLY the Safbrew T-58 yeast packet into the keg, and screw on the lid. Do not stir. 
  7. Put your keg in a location with a consistent temperature between 59° and 75° F (15°-23° C) and out of direct sunlight.e Ferment for 14 days.f
  8. After approximately 24 hours, you will be able to see the fermentation process happening by shining a flashlight into the keg. You'll see the yeast in action in the wort. The liquid will be opaque and milky, you will see bubbles rising in the liquid, and there will be bubbles on the surface. 
  9. At the 1 week mark, place the contents of the pellet hops packet into the second sanitized hop sack tying them closed, then trim away excess material.
  10. Open the lid of the fermenter and toss in the hop sack, replace lid.g

1. Late hopping will allow the aroma and flavor to be fresh in the finished beer.
  • Like 1

If it were me I would ferment 14 days, then add the hops and let it ferment another 7 days.

• Like 1

Thank you Rick!

I went in confusion since they were talking about a second hop sack, so I believed there were two different hops!

And also in the comments of the recipe there were people who said that boiled the hops for 20 mins!

So no need to boil the hops in the water just adding them to the wort as the instructions said.

Thank you very much for your kindness in answering me!

Thank you gophers as well for the tip, I'll let you know how the beer will come out!

Rock'on'!

boil hops in water you get hop tea... ick. did it once long ago. never again.  hop boils require malt to make use of their acid content and contribute anything good to the beer.

tossing the hops in after a week or so to the lbk is sort of dry hopping. you get some aroma and maybe flavor addition , but not a lot. think of it as an accent to the mr beer kit.

doing a boil of LME (not hme) with hops  you will add bittering, flavor and aroma..depending on how long you boil and with how much malt.

• Like 1

Hi guys, thank you for all your answers!

I've started today my batch, everything went pretty good with temperature and everything.

Just a question, I have a single doubt:

While I was pouring the cold water in the fermenter at the 4 liter mark (I was using water bought at the supermarket) a little piece of plastic linked to the cap fell in the fermenter.

I was able to recover it in less that 10 secs using a sanitized spatula.

Do you think that this is going to be a major flaw that could ruin the entire batch?

I continued to follow the recipe and now my fermenter is in the "darkness"....

Your expert and honest opinion......did I mess up?

Thank you!

No, you'll probably be fine. There's a slight chance of infection, but it's VERY slight. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Like 1

Thank you Josh, let's wait and see, next time I'll be super careful.

Learning by mistakes....

• Like 1

There's a "tail" around here about a cat butt getting into the wort and that beer was fine.  I wouldn't worry about a piece of plastic... :lol:

• Like 1

once fermentation kicks in,  yeast do all they can to make survival in the wort for any other organism highly unlikely. that's why we have beer. it was man's way of making icky water safe to drink.

• Like 2