Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bblythe

First batch

I started my first batch in the fermenter last night and it seems to be doing just fine.

I have a couple of questions for down the road. The first question I have concerns bottling in the instructional DVD it shows them tightening the caps down to sterilize breaking the ring seal. I know in the grand scheme of things that doesn't matter much but little details like that irk me is there a way to properly sterilize the bottles without breaking the cap? I am sure the answer is obvious but I want to double check.

The other big question I have is for far down the road, is it possible to use the lbk for whole grain brewing?

Before sanitizing put cap on, break ring, remove.

Yes, discussed many times.

You have obsessed over every little step and have been perving your LBK daily for 3 weeks. It's time to bottle and it would totally suck to ruin your batch at this point. The next BIG step is bottling. I feel your pain. I'm new...ER and the fear hasn't gone away yet. Follow the steps on the DVD and it will be alright.

4 more weeks and you get to bask in your very own home brewed beer.

yeast don't care what you ferment in. give them food, a happy environment...

doing all grain.. youre just making your wort from mashing grain instead of using ready made extracts.  with all grain you can either go the easier brew in a bag route which requires a large pot, a large grain bag, some chemistry ... voila!  or you can go the complicated mash tun, mash rests, lautering, sparging etc etc etc route.  at the end of both youll still have wort. that would go in the lbk .. add yeast.. presto.

I have a tendency to pay attention to small details and was mainly asking if there was a good way to sanitize without breaking the rings on the caps

The rings on the caps are for commercial use (to verify that they haven't been tampered with) and have no effect on your beer. It's best to just break them off before sanitizing as Rick suggested.

• Like 1

You could use some old caps from soda bottles to cap and sanitize the bottles, & dunk the new caps in a bowl of sanitizing solution. The seal would not be broken then. But they can be reused about 3 to 5 times so the seal will be broken after the first use.

Well I have now a silly question I have seen it on the forms though that doesn't mean much I suppose. Due to the heating situation in my house I have been moving my fermentation chamber (a cooler) from the kitchen to my bedroom at night and back in the morning since we don't use the space heaters when we won't be using that room for awhile. It should be fine as long as I'm careful right?

Well, isn't the purpose of the cooler to keep the temperature of the contents consistent?  Assuming it has a lid on it, you should keep it in the room that best fits the temp profile and not move it around, as there would be little purpose in doing that.

Moving it twice every day is likely to agitate it and you don't want to really do that.

That's the problem, we have two heaters for the house and we don't run them at the same time so one room is warm or the rest of the house is warm. So I move the cooler to the room with the heat on.

And, as I tried to say, I cannot imagine that a closed cooler is going to let the contents adjust temperature overnight when the heater is off.  If it does, then add a soda bottle of very hot tap water when you turn the heat off.

Moving the LBKs 2x per day, sloshing things around, is not going to work out well in the end.

That was the main thing I was concerned about I'll start using hot water bottles and hope I keep the temp in range.

Another dumb question for y'all though I think I am setting a record for them. Once again thinking to the future I was wondering how bad an idea it would be to experiment with carb sugars on one batch. For example using the Mr.Beer carb drops on most of the bottles and another type of carb sugar on the others. That way you still have the base unaltered beer but you also have some that are slightly different.

It would be a waste of time, but knock yourself out.  Dozens have asked, and tried, and noted no difference.  They will not be different. 

Rick's correct. You won't notice much difference in flavor between sugars since they are only carbing your beer. If you were fermenting with different sugars, that's another subject. But carbing with different sugars won't make much difference.