Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
beerdrnkr

first batch

So i received 2 MRBEER kits for xmas, and everything seems pretty straight forward when following the directions and watching the DVD.  Today is 14 days from when i started fermentation, how do i know if it is ready to bottle.  Or should i wait another few days or so before doing so.  I have read a few posts where people say to let it ferment for 3 weeks, then continue in the bottles for 2 weeks and condition for another 2 weeks. Any help/advice would be appreciated.  Also i am going to start another batch today or tomorrow with my other kit so i can compare the 2 of them before trying to advance to another style of beer. Also i havent gotten a stick on thermometer yet but my ambient temp where my lbk is around 63-66 degrees.  Is it safe to assume that the temp in the LBK is higher due to the fermantation process.   

Thank you all,

Marshall

I'd recommend you wait 21 days, then bottle.  You want to have the beer carbonate and condition in bottles for at least 4 weeks, then refrigerate only what you'll drink 3 days later, letting the rest continue to condition.  Don't think of it as 2, then 2, it's 4.   3-4.  Easy to remember.

63-66 is fine, as you note when the yeast is cooking it will be in high 60s.  

Ideally, you want your bottles closer to 70.  If not, give them more time.

And get the stick on thermometer to remove the guesswork.

In future batches, you may want to consider buying a hydrometer, the best under $10 investment you can make to your brewing arsenal.  That way, you will never have to question if the beer is done, because the hydrometer readings can help guide you.  In lieu of a hydrometer, three weeks is the conservative estimate that most stick to.  You likely are fine at two weeks, but patience always ensures a better product.

tumblr_m84vieP8Vm1rciy8ho1_500.gif

Welcome, congrats, and keep us posted on your progress...

Thanks for all the info, I will bottle this weekend. Also got a stick on thermometer and I am now right in the proper temp range as I was very close all the time I am proper now. Can't wait to start my next batch. My next investment will be a hydrometer

• Like 1

Buy two of them. They like to commit suicide.

• Like 1