Mr.Beer Community

They actually sell small home stills online.  You basically make a 'mash', which is like the wort in beer, by fermentation.  Then you heat it it 170 degrees, where the alcohol turns to steam and rises through the cooling coils and then returns to liquid form and is collected in a vessel at the other end of the coils.  Water is left behind in the mash because at 170 it won't turn to vapor, since it needs 212 degrees to do that.  As Rick says, it is illegal to distill drinking alcohol without a license.  It is only legal to produce alcohol for cleaning purposes, and you must 'denature' it so nobody can drink it.  I'm looking forward to buying a still one day soon and producing alcohol to clean out my pipes. 

and if you buy a water distiller... expect a visit from the atf to document that you are in fact using it for water or extracting oils for cooking (example).  you can get licensed to own and operate a legal still in some states but the cost and forms etc are boggling.

Far as I know, it is legal in MO to produce moonshine without a license. Something like 100 gallons per person (21 or older) per year.

I just read some more. It is not against State law but is against federal law as you mentioned above. Damn Feds!

• Like 1

State is supposed to trump federal, but we seem to have forgotten that. Kinda like forgetting we are a republic, not a democracy.

State is supposed to trump federal, but we seem to have forgotten that. Kinda like forgetting we are a republic, not a democracy.

Your right, but they've been dumbing down the schools. so now, most kids don't know there is a difference.

Its against federal law to grow & sell pot too, but some states seem to be cool with it & nobody is getting arrested for it there.

and if you buy a water distiller... expect a visit from the atf to document that you are in fact using it for water or extracting oils for cooking (example).  you can get licensed to own and operate a legal still in some states but the cost and forms etc are boggling.

How difficult isn't to make your own distiller from any chemistry supply store?  And although federal law prohibits it, they got better things to do than to come after you if you're just making a little for your use and aren't flaunting it.

The Federal Law says you can't posess or smoke weed in Colorado or Washington, anywhere else for that matter.

I spotted some of these on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Gal-Alcohol-Water-Distiller-Moonshine-Ethanol-Copper-Still-Stainless-Boiler-/321642640328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae36533c8

If you like mash all is possible.

I like Beer

I don't know how factual this is, but I read an article once about making moonshine that said you could go blind from it if something or other went wrong in the process. 

My LHBS sells a better still than that(don't know the brand, and I can't find a pic of the type with a quick search). As I said earlier as long as your not selling it. They ain't lookin for you.

gopher the blindness was a byproduct of unscrupulous shiners who sold wood grain alcohol (methanol)  as shine I think.  

I don't know how factual this is, but I read an article once about making moonshine that said you could go blind from it if something or other went wrong in the process. 

Whenever you distill something, the most volatile products come out first. So when you distill a mash, the low boiling point compounds in it (in general, the nitrogenous substances, aldehydes, esters, and methanol) will appear in the first distillate. This part of the distillation is commonly called the "Heads". You can prevent them from contaminating the product you are attempting to separate by watching the temperature and discarding (or saving for addition to the next batch) everything that boils off before you reach the boiling point of the target component. If the product becomes contaminated with these compounds, they can risk causing health problems.

One of the common symptoms seen in methanol poisoning is permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve, so the blindness from improper distillation is a possibilty.

Well, I'll not tell my buddy about that. I am very much enjoying the fruits of his labor.

amen to that!   

have to drive home very carefully..so as not to arouse suspicion (no DWI here!)..but dont' want anyone to see the mason jars!!!! :)

I would want to make scotch but there's a HUGE problem.

You have to be in Scotland...

For THREE YEARS!!!

So I'll stick with bear and buying my Johnnie Gold from off the shelf.  What's that?  They stopped making gold?!

Bloody hell.

Beer it is :'(

also if it is not done correctly you will get poisonous alcohol types in the beginning and end of the run.  Federal law super cedes state a cop or a neighbor can always be an ahole

also if it is not done correctly you will get poisonous alcohol types in the beginning and end of the run.  Federal law super cedes state a cop or a neighbor can always be an ahole

Correct.  Federal agents will arrest and prosecute, even if state law conflicts with federal.  ATF agents storming my house because my neighbor saw a copper still doesn't sound like a hobby I'm willing to try...