Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
D Rock

D Train Brewery West Coast Red Ale AG

Seems like a lot of the Borg has been leaning toward All Grain Batches. Thought that I would post a Mr Beer sized AG. This is actually a little bigger than a Mr Beer size batch. For my All Grains, I boil 12.5 L (3.3 gal) to put 9.1 L (2.4 gal), minus 6 oz hydro sample, into the fermenter. This recipe is based on my equipment. I calculate a 9% evaporation rate and 1.9 L (0.50 gal) loss to Cold Break/Hops. This recipe is based on a Brewhouse Efficiency of 67.30 %. So, if you know your Efficiency, adjust accordantly. I am actually getting less than 67.30%, but just rebrewed this last Sunday without adjusting to my known Efficiency, just because the first batch came out so friggin awesome.
This is an American Amber Ale, but pushes the style guidelines, so I call it a West Coast Red ~a little bigger and a little Hoppier than a Traditional American Amber....

Recipe: D Train Brewery West Coast Red AG
Brewer: D Train Brewery
Asst Brewer: Ninkasi
Style: American Amber Ale
Type: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 9.10 L (2.4 gal)
Boil Size: 12.50 L (3.3 gal)
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated FG: 1.017 SG
Estimated ABV: 6.33 %
Estimated IBU: 62.6 IBU (Rager) 48.1 IBU (Tinseth)
Estimated BU:GU: 0.958 (Rager) 0.736 (Tinseth)
Estimated Color: 16.0 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.30 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
2300.00 gm (5.07 lb) Pale US 2 Row Malt (Rhar) (2.0 SRM) 78.05 %
230.00 gm (8.11 oz) British Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp) (45.0 SRM) 7.80 %
200.00 gm (7.05 oz) Munich 10L (Grambinus) (10.0 SRM) 6.79 %
100.00 gm (3.53 oz) Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM) 3.39 %
54.00 gm (1.90 oz) British Crystal Dark - 77L (Simpsons) (75.0 SRM) 1.83 %
36.00 gm (1.27 oz) British Extra Dark Crystal - 155L (Simpsons) (155.0 SRM) 1.22 %
27.00 gm (0.95 oz) Pale Chocolate Malt (Crisp) (200.0 SRM) 0.92 %
11.00 gm (0.39 oz) Green Bullet [12.80 %] (60 min) 44.6 IBU
10.00 gm (0.35 oz) Cascade [7.20 %] (10 min) 4.6 IBU
10.00 gm (0.35 oz) Amarillo Gold [8.30 %] (10 min) 5.3 IBU
10.00 gm (0.35 oz) Amarillo Gold [8.30 %] (1 min) 4.4 IBU
10.00 gm (0.35 oz) Cascade [7.20 %] (1 min) 3.8 IBU
1 Pkg SafAle US-05 (Fermentis #US-05)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Batch Sparge, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 2947.00 gm (6.5 lb)
----------------------------
Sacrification: 8.45 qt (7.996682 L) of water at 163.3 F = 152.0 F 60 minute
Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 1.68 L (0.44 gal) of 168.0 F water 10 minute
Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 6.73 L (1.78 gal) of 168.0 F water 10 minute

Batch number two is going to town...

westcoastredag01.jpg

Batch number one is tasting fine...

westcoastredag06.jpg

B)

let us know how the finished product is. never was a hop head really until i started this hobby/obsession or hobsession. sounds tasty!!

I am not trying to digress here. I want to try this brew, but I have not been able to figure out the grain milling issue.

You sure have some complex brews. I went to the local brew shop (over an hour a way) to get the ingredients for the Mai Tyre (sp) and the guy was scratching his head over milling so many different grains for one batch! (It's a small shop and he had to sub at least one grain.) I would just buy them online like usual, but I don't have a way to mill it (they sell by the pound, so I end up getting a pound of milled grain minimum for each grain). The brew shop guy said the milled stuff would start getting stale after a few weeks. Unfortunately, these mills are expensive. How does everyone else do these recipes? Do you mill your own? Does anyone have luck just putting already cracked grains in the freezer? I'm liking doing these all-grain recipes; I just need to figure out what to do about the grain so I don't have to drive so far to get it.

Thanks D-Rock for sharing so many great recipes. You make it easy, except for the measuring. (Damn that's precise.)

Greg T

Very cool. I've been on the web site before but that was before doing all grain like this. I don't see a few of the grains listed in this recipe on that site though. Will the price be worth it though? I haven't compared but I will look into it.

gdt12 wrote:

Thanks D-Rock for sharing so many great recipes. You make it easy, except for the measuring. (Damn that's precise.)

:lol:
I know some of my recipes tend towards complex. But, each grain is lending something. I do have much simpler recipes. I posted this one because it is a really awesome beer. Let me know what grain that you can not get and I will tell you if I think there is an appropriate sub.
I do have my own mill so I just keep a bunch of base malt and a wide variety of specialty malts on hand (Plus Hops and Yeast).

If you order through Brewers Warehouse, use discount code BNARMY at checkout and save 10% off your order.

D Rock wrote:

If you order through Brewers Warehouse, use discount code BNARMY at checkout and save 10% off your order.

URL Please.

rniles wrote:

D Rock wrote:

URL Please.

Same one as Dink posted...
Dr. Dink wrote:

Have you checked out http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/ ? You can build your entire grain bill without the pound minimum and have it crushed and shipped to you.

D-Rock, Have you put any of your recipes up on the Brewmaster's web site? It looks pretty cool how people can just buy the ingredients that others have put together. I went through trying to piece things together from a few recipes I found here and there, including this one, but the different names of the grains got me a bit lost. (I do better with simple recipes.) I didn't write down which ones I couldn't find; it's also possible that they were there and I just didn't recognize it. (hint, hint, hint.)

GT

gdt12 wrote:

D-Rock, Have you put any of your recipes up on the Brewmaster's web site? It looks pretty cool how people can just buy the ingredients that others have put together. I went through trying to piece things together from a few recipes I found here and there, including this one, but the different names of the grains got me a bit lost. (I do better with simple recipes.) I didn't write down which ones I couldn't find; it's also possible that they were there and I just didn't recognize it. (hint, hint, hint.)

GT

Sorry I have not. I have a great LHBS and pretty much buy locally so I have not contributed to their Database.
It would be cool to see some MB sized recipes there!

Great idea. You don't have to buy to put the recipes up. (Hint, hint). I don't have anything original myself to put up. Does anyone else? It looks like a great way to share in a way that makes it easy for someone to purchase the grains. Shipping is only a flat $6.99.

Dr. Dink wrote:

Have you checked out http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/? You can build your entire grain bill without the pound minimum and have it crushed and shipped to you.

holy crap! did you look at some of those recipes that are on there?

i think this one may be too much for most hop heads!

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/173bfde7/shoultzmeyer-brewery-holy-hops-iipa

This is what I came up with for D Rock's recipe on brewmasterswarehouse.com. Just pay attention to the SRM and pick the one that is close to the recipe. The only item I couldn't find exactly was the light crystal 45L so I substituted with medium Briess Caramel 40L (Per D Rock's suggestion). I also selected the 04 yeast cause they didn't have 05. Total cost was $24.34 shipped with the BNARMY 10% discount.

Ingredient Name Amount
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 5 lbs, 1.12 oz
Briess Victory 3.50 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 40L 8.11 oz
Weyermann Light Munich 7.05 oz
Simpsons Dark Crystal 1.9 oz
Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal 1.27 oz
Thomas Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt 0.95 oz
Green Bullet, NZ Pellets 12.8% AA .39 oz @ 60 mins
Cascade Pellets 5.4% AA .46 oz @ 10 mins
Amarillo Pellets 8.0% AA .36 oz @ 10 mins
Cascade Pellets 5.4% AA .46 oz @ 1 mins
Amarillo Pellets 8.0% AA .36 oz @ 1 mins
SAFALE S-04 1 ea

OG 1.073
FG 1.019
IBU 43.6
SRM 17.30
ABV 7.07

Dr. Dink wrote:

This is what I came up with for D Rock's recipe on brewmasterswarehouse.com. Just pay attention to the SRM and pick the one that is close to the recipe. The only item I couldn't find exactly was the light crystal 45L so I substituted with medium crystal 55L (D Rock would caramunich be a better substitution?). I also selected the 04 yeast cause they didn't have 05. Total cost was $28.97 shipped with BNARMY 10% discount.

Ingredient Name Amount
Rahr Standard 6-Row 5 lbs, 1.12 oz
Briess Victory 3 lbs, 8.48 oz
Simpsons Medium Crystal 8.11 oz
SAFALE S-04 1 ea

I would sub

Dr. Dink wrote:

This is what I came up with for D Rock's recipe on brewmasterswarehouse.com. Just pay attention to the SRM and pick the one that is close to the recipe. The only item I couldn't find exactly was the light crystal 45L so I substituted with medium crystal 55L (D Rock would caramunich be a better substitution?). I also selected the 04 yeast cause they didn't have 05. Total cost was $28.97 shipped with BNARMY 10% discount.

Ingredient Name Amount
SAFALE S-04 1 ea

I would sub

Dr. Dink wrote:

Ingredient Name Amount
SAFALE S-04 1 ea

I would sub for the Crystal 45L. Also you made a mistake with the Victory. It should be like 3.5 oz.

Corrected and substituted. Saves about $5. Oh an here are the numbers from brewmasters warehouse estimations:

OG 1.071
FG 1.018
IBU 44.5
SRM 17.30
ABV 6.94

Dr. Dink wrote:

Corrected and substituted. Saves about $5. Oh an here are the numbers from brewmasters warehouse estimations:

OG 1.071
FG 1.018
IBU 44.5
SRM 17.30
ABV 6.94

Just noticed that you used 6 Row. You are going to want to use 2 Row.
Thought maybe that was why your OG was so much higher. But 6 Row would actually lower the OG, as it has less Potential.
Is Brewmaster Warehouse Calculating at 75% efficiency? That would explain the difference.

I'm batting 1000. I saw the Rhar in your recipe and didn't pay attention that it was listed as 6 row in mine. Fixed it and the price stayed the same but all the numbers went up a bit. I set the efficiency to 67% so I'm not sure why there is a difference. I looked at my cart and noticed that it rounded to the nearest ounce so maybe that affects the numbers even though the recipe shows the ingredients weight to a 10th of an ounce.

Dr. Dink wrote:

I'm batting 1000. I saw the Rhar in your recipe and didn't pay attention that it was listed as 6 row in mine. Fixed it and the price stayed the same but all the numbers went up a bit. I set the efficiency to 67% so I'm not sure why there is a difference. I looked at my cart and noticed that it rounded to the nearest ounce so maybe that affects the numbers even though the recipe shows the ingredients weight to a 10th of an ounce.

Did you happen to save it as a shared recipe? If so, what did you call it? At first I was thinking the price was a little steep, but then I figured that without the sales tax, it costs as much as a cheaper MR. Recipe, so it's not too bad. Plus, if you get more, the shipping stays the same.

gdt12 wrote:

Did you happen to save it as a shared recipe? If so, what did you call it? At first I was thinking the price was a little steep, but then I figured that without the sales tax, it costs as much as a cheaper MR. Recipe, so it's not too bad. Plus, if you get more, the shipping stays the same.

I did not share it as it's D Rock recipe and didn't think it would be right to share without his permission. If D Rock gives his blessing, I would be happy yo hit the share button.

Dr. Dink wrote:

I did not share it as it's D Rock recipe and didn't think it would be right to share without his permission. If D Rock gives his blessing, I would be happy yo hit the share button.

Yo, hit the share button.

Share Button Hit! It's listed as D Train Brewery West Coast Red Ale under the American Amber Ale, but it may be a little bit before it shows up under the recipe section.

Huh...
I have my own SKU... 4D72C01A.
Dink, I think you should go in and round off those ounce amounts. Wish the allowed grams! I would round them all per the rules of math, except I would round up with the Victory and just bring the Base Malt down to 5 pounds.

Drock. I want to order this recipe, but I want to do it in a 5 gallon batch. I tried to multiply/tweak the recipe to adjust. It seems like a lot of grain. Does it look close? See the screen shot.
recipe.jpg

What is your boil volume?
Are you calculating 5 gallons into the fermenter after loss to hop/break material?
I will convert it and see what I come up with, give me a few minutes...

This is what I got:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 18.90 L (4.99 gal)
Boil Size: 26.03 L (6.88 gal)
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated FG: 1.017 SG
Estimated ABV: 6.33 %
Estimated IBU: 62.5 IBU (Rager) xx.x IBU (Tinseth)
Estimated BU:GU: x.xxx (Rager) x.xxx (Tinseth)
Estimated Color: 15.6 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
4592.67 gm (10.12 lbs) Pale US 2 Row Malt (Rhar) (2.0 SRM) 78.05 %
459.27 gm (1.01 lbs)Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp) (45.0 SRM) 7.80 %
399.36 gm (14.08 oz)Munich 10L (Grambinus) (10.0 SRM) 6.79 %
199.68 gm (7.04 oz) Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM) 3.39 %
107.83 gm (3.80 oz) Crystal Dark - 77L (Simpsons) (75.0 SRM) 1.83 %
71.89 gm (2.54 oz)Extra Dark Crystal 155-165 L (Simpsons) 1.22 %
53.91 gm (1.90 oz)Pale Chocolate Malt (Crisp) (200.0 SRM) 0.92 %
22.83 gm Green Bullet [12.80 %] (60 min) 44.6 IBU
20.75 gm Amarillo Gold [8.30 %] (10 min) 5.3 IBU
20.75 gm Cascade [7.20 %] (10 min) 4.6 IBU
20.75 gm Cascade [7.20 %] (1 min) 3.8 IBU
20.75 gm Amarillo Gold [8.30 %] (1 min) 4.4 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle US-05 (Fermentis #US-05)

Total Grain Weight: 5884.61 gm (12.97 lbs)

That is based on 70% efficiency, 9% loss to evaporation and a Gallon loss to Break.

Thanks. It looks like I was too heavy on the 2-row for sure. The rest was close.

gdt12 wrote:

Thanks. It looks like I was too heavy on the 2-row for sure. The rest was close.

I did change it to a more generic 70% efficiency, rather than the one I originally posted. So that would lower the grain bill a bit. If I was in your shoes I would order:

10.00 lbs Pale US 2 Row Malt (Rhar) (or equivalent)
1.00 lbs Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp) (or equivalent)
14.00 oz Munich 10L (Grambinus) (or equivalent)
7.00 oz Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (or equivalent)
4.00 oz Crystal Dark - 77L (Simpsons) (or equivalent)
3.00 oz Extra Dark Crystal 155-165 L (Simpsons) (or equivalent)
2.00 oz Pale Chocolate Malt (Crisp) (or equivalent)

23.00 gm Green Bullet [12.80 %] (60 min)
21.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.30 %] (10 min)
21.00 gm Cascade [7.20 %] (10 min)
21.00 gm Cascade [7.20 %] (1 min)
21.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.30 %] (1 min)

I ordered it, but I did what I had figured before except that I lowered the two-row. Since it was using the Brewmaster, I was able to order without rounding on the grains. (They only sell the hops by the ounce, so I will weigh those by the gram when I brew.) I'll let you know how it turns out.

D Rock-
The order is on it's way, but I have a question. I'm going to be fermenting this in a six gallon better bottle. I also have a five gallon better bottle so that I can rack to. I realize you used the Mr. Beer keg, but do you think it would be wise to move this to the secondary, or should I not bother? (I've never had infection issues from racking. . . knock on wood.)

Thanks,
Greg T.

Personally, I would not rack it.
There are very few situations where I feel transferring to a 2ndry is necessary.
This Beer will be fine on the yeast cake for two weeks.

Okay D-Rock. I brewed a five gallon batch today. It smelled and looked great. Could be labeled an IPA! I came out high on the starting gravity though at 1.070. It's going to be a strong one.

This is my first time using SafAle US-05, and it is also the first time I've have to put on a blow-off tube to avoid disaster. (I've used them before, but never actually had the krausen go through the tube. About 8 hours after pitching my starter, all of the liquid had be blown out of my air lock, so I unwrapped my better bottle and discovered that the krausen was all the way to the top already. That's when I put the tube on. This morning it was still bubbling away at a rapid rate, and the tube and blow-off bucket had krasen. Anyway, just thought I would share my experience with this yeast as I brew this recipe.

Cool! Looking forward to hearing the results!
gdt12 wrote:

Okay I came out high on the starting gravity though at 1.070.

Do you have a known Efficiency for your set up and adjust to it? The posted recipe for was for a Brewhouse Efficiency of 67.30 %.

Did you just double this for 5 gallons or did you scale it up?

Just found one of these in the back of the fridge...
Such a good beer!

D Rock wrote:

Cool! Looking forward to hearing the results!
gdt12 wrote:

Okay I came out high on the starting gravity though at 1.070.

Do you have a known Efficiency for your set up and adjust to it? The posted recipe for was for a Brewhouse Efficiency of 67.30 %.

Did you just double this for 5 gallons or did you scale it up?

I scaled it up using the specs that I posted I few posts above. (It's an image shot of the brewmaster recipe after adjustment.) It wasn't exactly doubled, and I have no idea what my efficiency is. It must be pretty good. . . or I just had too much grain. I did follow your recommended hop additions for the adjusted amount.

D-
Damn you! That is some good brew. Yes, I'm drinking it already. I just found a kegerator on Craig's list just when I was ready to bottle, so I took a trip to the LHBS and bought a couple of cornies and connectors. I force carbed it, and while it was only brewed about two and a half weeks ago, it is excellent. I thought it was going to be IPA-hoppy, but it is a really well balanced beer. If anything, it is only slightly hoppy. The problem is, it came in at around 6.5% abv, but it is too easy to drink lots!. Thanks for the recipe. I plan to brew it again. It's nice and handy at the Brewmaster.com for anyone interested.

gdt12 wrote:

D-
Damn you! That is some good brew. Yes, I'm drinking it already. I just found a kegerator on Craig's list just when I was ready to bottle, so I took a trip to the LHBS and bought a couple of cornies and connectors. I force carbed it, and while it was only brewed about two and a half weeks ago, it is excellent. I thought it was going to be IPA-hoppy, but it is a really well balanced beer. If anything, it is only slightly hoppy. The problem is, it came in at around 6.5% abv, but it is too easy to drink lots!. Thanks for the recipe. I plan to brew it again. It's nice and handy at the Brewmaster.com for anyone interested.

gdt12,
Congrats on the new kegerator I am envious.

Did you need special adapter to connect the corney keg to the kegerator hose?

Anyway, enjoy!

gdt12 wrote:

Just cut the lines off of the Sankey beer tap and used clamps to put on the corny-type ball-lock connectors. This thing has room for three cornies. Eventually!

[img size=500]http://www.cosenglish.org/Site/images/beer1.jpg
[img size=500]http://www.cosenglish.org/Site/images/beer2.jpg
[img size=500]http://www.cosenglish.org/Site/images/beer3.jpg

gdt12,
That is a nice kegerator. With room for three corney's you will be able to chill them before tapping. Excellent!

I asked about the connection because my father in law has a kegerator and I was wondering about giving him some homebrew. I don't think he would go for the idea of cutting of his sankey beer tap and thus his connection to Miller Lite. He does enjoy a homebrew at my house. So there is still hope for him.

Thank you for the pics. I so like to see other brewers gear.

This is what you need if you want to easily go back and forth:
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=152
I just cut it off, as I don't plan to use commercial brews/kegs. However, I could easily hook it back up with a coupler and a few clamps. This kit from Keg connections would make it much easier though. I have two cornies right now. I just ordered one more and a few picnic taps until I can afford one of these:
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=235

yankeedag wrote:

Welcome to the corney club.

Thanks! Might be a bad thing. It is way too easy to sneak a drink from!

gdt12 wrote:

D-
Damn you! That is some good brew....I force carbed it, and while it was only brewed about two and a half weeks ago, it is excellent. I thought it was going to be IPA-hoppy, but it is a really well balanced beer. If anything, it is only slightly hoppy. The problem is, it came in at around 6.5% abv, but it is too easy to drink lots!. Thanks for the recipe. I plan to brew it again. It's nice and handy at the Brewmaster.com for anyone interested.

:cheer: So glad to hear that your version turned out so well. Other people brewing one of my recipes always makes me nervous! I can not imagine how Jamil feels...
I have a batch of this cold conditioning, looking forward to getting into in about a week, ahem...causeIcannotforcecarbjealous...
Congrats on the new kegging set up! I am honored that my recipe was the first tap!

Cheers!
bierxb6.gif

gdt12 wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

or top the glass off...um, multiple times... you know, the magic never empty glass thing. :blink:

yankeedag wrote:

gdt12 wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

or top the glass off...um, multiple times... you know, the magic never empty glass thing. :blink:

That's funny! I've had that even before joining the corney club.

Wife: "How many beer's is that?

Me: "My first one!" (No need wasting another glass!)

D Rock wrote:

So glad to hear that your version turned out so well. Other people brewing one of my recipes always makes me nervous! I can not imagine how Jamil feels...
I have a batch of this cold conditioning, looking forward to getting into in about a week, ahem...causeIcannotforcecarbjealous...
Congrats on the new kegging set up! I am honored that my recipe was the first tap!

Cheers!
bierxb6.gif

I wouldn't feel nervous. I had tried a modified version of your Fat Tire Clone before this one. I went to the local Brew Store and they didn't have a few of the grains so he subbed a few of them. It turned out to be the best brew yet according to friends. (I agree.) In fact, they said it was better than the original Fat Tire. After that, I figured why not try this one. They both turned out great. I've got another of the Fat Tire Clones fermenting right now, in fact. (That first batch didn't stick around long enough.)

Greg