Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
0PR71

CARBONATION: ROOM TEMP VS. REFRIGERATOR?

I JUST BOTTLED MY FIRST BREW, A CLASSIC AMERICAN LIGHT.  I HAVE 11 BOTTLES IN STORAGE FOR THE NEXT 4 WEEKS AND 1 BOTTLE IN STORAGE IN THE REFRIGERATOR. 

WHAT DIFFERENCE SHOULD I EXPECT BETWEEN THE BOTTLES STORED AT ROOM TEMPARATURE AND THE SOLE BOTTLE IN THE REFRIGERATOR AFTER 4 WEEKS?

Rick is correct. When you refrigerate your bottles before conditioning, the yeast will go dormant and will not carbonate the beer. They prefer 65-75 degrees for proper carbonation.

You only need to refrigerate the beer you are going to drink a few days before your really going to drink it.  It will keep conditioning as long as it is sitting out in room temp.  I would pull that beer out of the fridge and let it warm back up to continue its conditioning..

• Like 1

Agree with most, although many times I do not even bother putting mine in the fridge.  I have a small dorm fridge for bottled beer and some shelf space in my kegerator, but many times I have a hankering for what I dont have on ice, but granted my pantry is at 50F this time of year.  Putting in the fridge does two things.  1)  Makes it cold (obviously) and some beers I like at room temp.  2)  Forces more CO2 into the beer.