Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gmunny67

Beer tastes like wine after 5 days LBK

Hey now! What's up fellas! I've made a few batches already..with the same atmospheric conditions. But this batch of Grand Bohemian, to which I added an extra dose of hops to, has me puzzled. I taste each batch at the 5, 10, n 15 daymark, n I have NEVER tasted red wine. Is this a case of bad yeast? I have made this before and not had this effect. All I did was add an extra packet of Palisde on flame out. Note: As in the past, thanks to all your advice, I boiled one packet with the LME, then added HME, then 2nd into LBK. I'm confused. Any assist would be appreciated!

No idea why you would taste 5 day fermenting beer, never have. No reason to. Clearly is the hops or an infection. Wait 21 days and you will find out.

• Like 1

Since everything was sanitized, I rule out infection. I follow the rules...I LOVE good beer. I like following the progression

Call me crazy, but these are my babies...wanna make sure they're doin awright. Was totally unsure about dry hopping. Maybe should I remove? Could it get worse?

every time you open the fermenter you risk infection.  I agree with Rick there is no point in tasting at 5 days the beer has not even finished fermenting yet.  The kruasen may have dropped etc.  However the yeast is not done yet.

every time you open the fermenter you risk infection.  I agree with Rick there is no point in tasting at 5 days the beer has not even finished fermenting yet.  The kruasen may have dropped etc.  However the yeast is not done yet.

Agree.  Don't touch it, even though you are curious.  You are flirting with infection there...

All beers and yeast have different tastes through the fermenting process.  It's not worth the risk or worry.  

Find something else to occupy your time. Knitting, hang gliding. Something like that.

Thanks fellas. I get the point...though nothing bad ever came of dispensing a shot via the spigot before, that doesn't mean it won't happen. It is interesting, however, to note the changing characteristics through the fermentation process. But I suppose it is a chance not worth taking. Got my fingers crossed this clears out. Thanks again!

Yeah, opening up the keg after 5 days is kind of like putting Christmas presents under the tree in July.  The anticipation would kill me.  I need to just put it in a closet and put a timer on it so I am not even tempted.  Do a google search for great hobbies to waste time.

I've had many beers in my 90+ batches that tasted totally different at bottling than they did after bottle conditioning.  I wouldn't stress about this.

• Like 1

By the way, RMG, in my spare time, I track Bigfoot.

I hope you have more success with your brewing.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd put this out there...firstly, I NEVER opened the lid on the LBK, only the spiggot (which was IMMEDIATELY sanitized)...second, and most importantly, this ale has turned out MARVELOUSLY!! Not only has that taste mellowed, but there is much improved clarity, body, and color. I'm going to make another batch tomorrow, changing the hops and probably boiling them in the LME before adding the HME (thinkin maybe 20 mins)...this also turned out to be very potent batch! Maybe extra LME would enhance? Almost GOTTA try. At any rate, just wanted ta say THANKS, fellas!

• Like 1