Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rick N

Krausen Kollar required?

My kit came without a Krausen Kollar. I contacted costumer service and was told that I can't by one from the store. The guy said I could still brew with out the Kollar so I just put up my first batch and will need help along the way I am very thankful for this forum.

Will the absence of the kollar affect my beer?

Rick N

No, it won't effect your beer. Just be sure you have enough headspace for any foam that may rise. The Krausen Kollar is intended to help carry the foam and give it headspace so it doesn't foam over. As long as you aren't over-filling your fermenter, or making any really high gravity or highly hopped beers, you should be fine. Cheers!

P.S. I believe that was me that you spoke to on the phone. :)

In addition to what Josh mentioned.  Some of the kits include the Kollar and others don't.  As our supply increases we will be looking at selling those separately as well.  This will allow those super brews that I know you want to get into. 

MRB Rick.. why did some kits come with the Kollar and some don't?? 

I got one with the Kollar and think it really helps especially with high rise big brews

Thanks Josh for the info as to not overfilling. It looks like I have enough room. Maybe you can tell me why the 8.5 quart and the 8.0 liter marks are at the same level on my fermenter. 

I tend to be a pain sometimes. Any way 8.5 quarts is only just over 8 liters. Was this a manufacturing error or am I reading this thing wrong?

Thanks ahead of time for you help.

Rick N

Valid question. There is nothing on the box to tell me other than it says I can brew 2 gallons. Therefor I assume it's the LBK. At any rate I brewed for the 2 gallons, but reading the instructions (page 9, LBK note 5) it says to fill to the 8.5 liter mark. I take this a  miss-statement as filling to equal 8.5 liters would put the fermenter overfull. 

I may be just splitting hairs, but as a newby I will learn as I grow older. After all I'm just barely 71 and hoping to see this batch bottled before I have to will it to my next of kin. :rolleyes:

Rick

• Like 1

The LBKs have a 2.5 gallon capacity. The 8.5 liter mark is 2.24 gallons. This leaves you with enough headspace for foam. Once bottled, you will get roughly 2 gallons because the headspace and the sediment will displace .5 gallon. I hope this makes more sense.

Also, the LBKs never come with a Krausen Kollar. Those are only for the 8Lx and the 24Lx.

8.5 liters = 2.24546 gallons = 287.4 ounces

8.5 quarts = 2.125  gallons = 272 ounces

5.4 ounces is very hard to notice on the LBK.  The old directions told you to fill to the 8.5 QUART mark.  The new directions tell you to fill to the 8.5 LITER mark.  

The LBK is brown.  Kits-Home-LBK.jpg

The 8Lx is white/clear.  Kits-Home-8Lx.jpg

Both are designed to brew 8 liters / 2 gallons, noting that 8 liters is really 2.11338 gallons.  

• Like 1

Thanks for you help Josh.

RickBeer, I read you dissertation on brewing and found it both very informative and entertaining. There is nothing like a good dry beer and a sense of humor to go with it.

I'm a retired military aviator and pretty well lived by the old adage that "The Devils In the Details" but it looks like brewing is more of an art than a science. That's good for me because now I will relax and enjoy this experience. :)

Rick N.

• Like 2

Yeah, Rick's been an amazing contributer to the forums. It's people like him that really make these forums useful to beginners. We couldn't be more proud of our contributers and community. :D

Thanks for you help Josh.

RickBeer, I read you dissertation on brewing and found it both very informative and entertaining. There is nothing like a good dry beer and a sense of humor to go with it.

I'm a retired military aviator and pretty well lived by the old adage that "The Devils In the Details" but it looks like brewing is more of an art than a science. That's good for me because now I will relax and enjoy this experience. :)

Rick N.

Rick, 

The great part about brewing is that it's an art and a science.  Consistent beer requires repeatability, which can only be attained by ensuring all details are met down to the nit-picky details.  Recipe formation and the actual brewing experience is all art, thought.  The masters can combine the two.   

You can be whatever kind of brewer you want.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Okay! Now I have messed up. In three weeks(21days) from my start date just happens to be my anniversary and sense we didn't do anything

last year I have promised the wife I would take her back to Gatlinburg Tn. where we spent our honeymoon. It's our 43rd and I dare not blow it.

Having said that, will my brew be ok in the fermenter for three to five days past the bottle date?

Rick N.

Nope.

Bottle and mail to:

RickBeer

123 I Will Drink Your Beer Way

Ann Arbor, MI  48105

Yes, it will be fine.  Or bottle the day prior.

• Like 1

Yes, it should be fine. Just be sure to bottle it as soon as you get back.

Rick N - I am same age as you. The way I look at it is if I brew the beer and keep it there is no way I am letting my next of kin get it - so I do not plan to go anywhere as long as I have a backlog. Keep brewing.....