Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stlcty

3 days

why is it recommended to refrigerate your beer for 3 days before drinking it? i know that you should let it carbonate for 4 weeks, but what i dont know yet is why you have to refrigerate it for a full 3 days vs just refrigerate it until cold.

oh ok i see. so with that said if you put the last trub filled beer in the fridge for that time after the 4 weeks does it essentially go away or lessen to a certain degree?

It will "cold crash" the yeast in the bottle, which will allow you to pour without as much yeast in the glass.  Trub bottles.  Yum.

• Like 1

IMHO, it's not necessarily necessary to refrigerate for three days.  I don't see that as a hard and fast rule, but I think it's a good general rule.  Test it for yourself...  Put a bottle in.  Three days later, put another in.  As soon as they are both cold, try both.  See if you notice a difference (and bask in your homebrewing prowess)...

Have to agree with Swen. Especially after I made most of the mistakes along the learning curve and learned not to make them again, I began to find that most of the time I can chill a beer for even a few hours and it's just fine. Particularly true, I also find that the longer you condition the bottle at room temp, the less chilling time it takes to be "drinkable". At least for me, anyway.

I prefer nearly all my homebrew at room temp... 65f.  I have found that when I chill for any length of time it completely changes the taste of the beer. 

I guess this rule of thumb is more about personal preference.  I usually put mine in the fridge for just 2 days.  And pull it out for 5-10 min right before i drink it.  Test out your own theory and see what works for you.

oh ok i see. so with that said if you put the last trub filled beer in the fridge for that time after the 4 weeks does it essentially go away or lessen to a certain degree?

Not go away or lessen. It will compact and solidify.

3 days is a guideline for good results. You won't see as much clarity if you wait only a few hours.

3 weeks fermenting, 4 weeks carbonating/conditioning and 3 days in the frig are all guidelines.  Once you've made a bunch of brews, then you can experiment if you want to.  The reason we recommend these guidelines to start with is for you to learn a process and minimize the chances for a less-than-perfect result.  When you change too many things, and then a batch isn't great, you're left questioning why.  See link below - The RIGHT way to brew.

• Like 2

why is it recommended to refrigerate your beer for 3 days before drinking it? i know that you should let it carbonate for 4 weeks, but what i dont know yet is why you have to refrigerate it for a full 3 days vs just refrigerate it until cold.

It's to let the yeast settle and the mini-trub that was formed from carbonating to firm up, so you don't get a bunch of yeast in the glass when you pour.  If you don't do this, the only thing that's going to happen is your beer is going to smell, and possibly taste a bit more, like yeast/bread.  No harm at all, unless you are a bit sensitive to yeast, then you might be spending some time in the bathroom.

my first hefe, I drank the yeast... omg... gas from hell and had me running for the loo!  I've since grown more tolerant of yeast in my gut.

• Like 1

I prefer nearly all my homebrew at room temp... 65f.  I have found that when I chill for any length of time it completely changes the taste of the beer. 

A bit cooler for me 50 - 55 for ales  40 45 for lagers.  the only way my cousins from Germany will drink American beer is Ice cold

why is it recommended to refrigerate your beer for 3 days before drinking it?

Because who ever said that is screwing with you and wants to see you suffer and see you wait before having one............No not really, Home brew will settle and clear under cold conditions, but if that matters to you? I drink most of mine a cellar temp. I sometimes only put them in the fridg for a few hrs. They will settle out better in a few days if left there though.....

my first hefe, I drank the yeast... omg... gas from hell and had me running for the loo!  I've since grown more tolerant of yeast in my gut.

I also discovered, shortly after getting into home brewing, that yeast is hard on gout, which makes it a double-whammy since alcohol is also hard on gout. Add to that having Celiacs and I was in for a rude awakening. Thanks to Clarity Ferm for the gluten and a prescription for the gout, I'm brewing again after a painful 8 month layoff.

I also discovered, shortly after getting into home brewing, that yeast is hard on gout, which makes it a double-whammy since alcohol is also hard on gout. Add to that having Celiacs and I was in for a rude awakening. Thanks to Clarity Ferm for the gluten and a prescription for the gout, I'm brewing again after a painful 8 month layoff.

I, too, live with gout. Not fun. And it sucks because I love yeasty beers (especially abbey style ales and some hefes). I take a prescription medication for it, but it still flares up once in awhile. That's when I start chugging cherry juice. It actually works for gout. ;)

And here we thought you were younger than a dinosaur Josh.

I'm probably younger than many of you, but I sure don't feel it. lol

stlcty, on 19 Jan 2015 - 9:53 PM, said:

Honestly you don't have to. I actually just put my 12 oz bottles in the freezer for an hour and they are just right.