Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Big Boy

Bottling questions

Been reading the forums since I filled my LBK and placed it in a 21 day timeout.  I am bottling this weekend and have a couple of questions to determine how to best proceed.

1)  What is the preferred method to sanitize the glass bottles?  Are there any secret tips and hints to make bottling successful?

2)  How many ounces of beer should I expect when bottling?  I want to make sure I have everything cleaned, sanitized, and ready before I start the bottling process.

Thanks for all the useful information on these forums!

Plenty of elaborate and expensive methods out there. For me, soaking the bottles in a plastic tub of sanitzer is cheap and practical, even if not the fastest. As for how many bottles to have ready, better to have a few extra than a few short, I say. Anyway, it depends how full your LBK is. I fill mine so much you'd swear it was gonna overflow, and I typically have no problem getting 24 bottles of good clean beer out of it.

Been reading the forums since I filled my LBK and placed it in a 21 day timeout.  I am bottling this weekend and have a couple of questions to determine how to best proceed.

1)  What is the preferred method to sanitize the glass bottles?  Are there any secret tips and hints to make bottling successful?

2)  How many ounces of beer should I expect when bottling?  I want to make sure I have everything cleaned, sanitized, and ready before I start the bottling process.

Thanks for all the useful information on these forums!

there is a bottling calculator here to help with your bottle needs. http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/brewing-tools-formulas.html#bpc

I soak my bottling in a bucket of star san sanitizer also... find out what works best for you and the space and tools that you have on hand.  have fun..

1) Use a funnel and fill bottle half way, place your clean hand on top and shake, pour out, then dip neck into sanitizer. Or bucket method, or vinator and bottle tree.

2) 2.13 gallons / 11 = 24.8 at most.  Used 11 instead of 12 to allow to air space at top and have enough bottles.  

Don't forget to sanitize caps and of course have a capper.

• Like 1

I have never gotten 24 12oz bottles out of a LBK. I do leave most of the trub behind with a oz. or 2 of beer. As Rick says strive for the 24 but expect less always have more bottles ready for unexpected things that happen.

1) Use a funnel and fill bottle half way, place your clean hand on top and shake, pour out, then dip neck into sanitizer.

If you are using plastic bottles with screw caps, put those on when you shake, instead of using your hand.

We have a couple of products that may help you with your bottling/sanitizing. I use all of these products and they make things so much easier.

http://www.mrbeer.com/stainless-steel-bottle-washer(there's also an adapter available)

http://www.mrbeer.com/nylon-bottle-brush

http://www.mrbeer.com/bottle-drainer-tree

Also, +1 on the vinator and Fast Rack that swenocha posted. I use those, too. My only issue with the Fast Rack is that it only fits 12oz glass bottles.

I just skip every other hole when I do bigger bottles on the fast rack.  Only 12 bottles fit and it is less stackable, but it serves the purpose...  ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice.  Can't wait to get the first batch bottled and start the next batch.  Guess I need to go empty another bottle and add it to my collection.

• Like 2

Have been using mr beer bottles, but looking to use 12oz glass (22 to 24 bottles) for my dopplebock. If using glass with the mr beer sanitizer, do I still need to add to bottle / shake / WAIT 10 min / shake again and finally empty. Have not minded this method with 11 to 12 plastic bottles, but not looking forward to doing this 22 times. Willing to pick up some star san and a vinator if will be quicker.

Yes, same process. Easy Clean / One Step is recommend for 10 minutes of contact, Starsan for 30 seconds. Starsan and Vinator is much quicker.

So with the Vinator and Starsan, I simply press the bottle down a few times and let the excess run out?

Then hang it on a bottle tree to continue to drain.  Or, set it on the counter, and before bottling dump it again.  Or not, Starsan converts with the beer so it's not harmful.

I get 22 12 oz. bottles out of an LBK with every batch I've done. I don't know how anyone is getting 24 bottles unless they're filling the LBK above the recommended line or filling their bottles under 12 oz. In my bottling, I could possibly get a 23rd bottle if I wanted to tip the LBK up for every last drop, but that 23rd bottle would then be filled with trub.

I usually get 11ish of the 740ml bottle (equall to just about 23 12oz bottles). Have not tried cold crashing yet, but most say it helps get every drop minus the trub.

8.5 quarts = 272 oz. 22.7 12 oz bottles max. 21 was my norm.

If you follow the 8.5 liter fill, 287.4 oz or 23.95 12 oz bottles. Always was quarts, not liters, until new fermenter were introduced.

I have some glass bottles and acquired a capper. I tried it out and found that the cap can be turned a bit after crimping. Is this ok or will my beer go flat?

Mine never turn. Bench capper.

+1.  Without a doubt.  Bench capper.  I saw too many people buy a wing capper to save $20, only to soon buy a bench capper, effectively for $15 more than if they just bought it alone..