Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
spatu

Recalculate 5 gallons beer recipe to 2 gallons

Good evening everyone.

I have a newbie question, I would like to brew an Oberon-like beer.

This is the link to the recipe for a 5 gallon batch.: http://www.homebrewing.org/Solsun-Oberon-Clone-Recipe-Kit_p_607.html

A lot of other beer kit that I like are also designed for 5 gallons batch.

Which kind of math I have to do to adapt them for the Mr.Beer 2 gallon keg?

Also, will I be able to store the remaining extracts and ingredients in the fridge since I have to scale down the recipe?

Thank you so much for the help!  :P

A lot of folks will brew up the full 5 gallon recipe and divide it into 2 LBK's. You can push the envelope and fit 2.5 gallons in each LBK or you can just use a little bit less water, reducing the volume and making the beer a tad bit richer, which usually gets no complaints. If there's no 2nd LBK or you simply don't want to do that, then yes, you can save half the malt in fridge. Should be fine with tight cover, but putting a thin layer of vodka on top of it will offer a bit more peace of mind. I don't know what other ingredients you'll want to save. An open pkt of yeast can be kept in fridge for a week or two if sealed tightly, they tell me. Hops can be kept even longer in fridge.

• Like 2

Joe is right on target.  If you have two fermenters.  Brew it all, and when it comes time to put it in the fermenter, just pour half in each.  If not, you can simply split the ingredients in half and keep the others for a brewday in the near future.  If you're talking LME, you can split it in half and refrigerate the rest.  I used to put a small layer of vodka on it (just to avoid mold) and plastic wrap.  Where it gets a bit more tricky is with grains.  I assume the grains will come in one bag (already crushed).  You'd have to just trust that they were mixed adequately (I don't know if that's a given...  you could stir/mix them up) and use half of them.  If the grains are packaged separately (assuming there is more than one grain involved in the recipe), it's easy to split each in half.  Split your yeast in half (or, better yet, buy a second yeast packet) as well as the hops.  And simply cut the recipe directions in half (regarding water amounts and such... actually, you'll likely need to cut it to 42%ish of the water amount).

I  do splits of 5 gal. batches. All that needs to be done is recal. the LBK for 2.5 gal. Use a measuring cup then mark a line for the 2.5 gal. mark should be right above the QUART mark on the LBK.  Some of the beers I've made has had spillage and most don't. I would recommend a pan or container to catch any spills easier on clean ups. Use 2 LBKs and different yeast to compare outcome of same beer.

• Like 2

On the opposite end of the spectrum....I found a 1 gallon grain batch i wanted to try....any reason why i couldnt double up the recipe and put them into the lbk for a normal 2 gallon ferment. I was thinking as long as i chill the wort down to 60 degrees i should be able to pour it directly into the lbk. Any thaughts or tips on doing this?

On the opposite end of the spectrum....I found a 1 gallon grain batch i wanted to try....any reason why i couldnt double up the recipe and put them into the lbk for a normal 2 gallon ferment. I was thinking as long as i chill the wort down to 60 degrees i should be able to pour it directly into the lbk. Any thaughts or tips on doing this?

Nope. It's pretty straightforward, no different than any other 2 gallon batch. You don't have to chill it down to 60 either, it can be a little warmer. The lbk can take hotter temps (140 or something..?) but you want your wort to be around 70 or so when you pitch your yeast.

• Like 1

I thaught it would be straight forward but thaught id ask. was worried about warping the keg since  i  wont be adding water to it but  thats good it will be fine. I have been steeping carapils with the last few brews. In the recipe im doing, i am steeping grains in a bag for 10 minutes then adding lme and doing a hop boil. Would i gain anything by steeping carapils with the grain or does all grain add body and head retention or just carapils ?

Steeping Crystal gains adds body, that should be what you're steeping.  Do a 20 minute, not a 10 minute steep.  

I don't know who validated that the LBK can take 140 degrees, but I wouldn't add 140 degree liquid to the LBK, nor would I wait a long time for it to cool.  Stick your pot in an ice bath in the sink and lower the temp.  I lower 2.5 to 3 gallons from boiling to below 100 in under 15 minutes.  

• Like 1

The little sticker told me. I can't vouch for its veracity though.

EDIT: The blank part was supposed to contain a quote from Rick about validating the LBK's ability to handle 140 degree liquids. I'm having trouble braining today.

Ah.

Well 140 is well below boil temp, so you still need to cool it - and then wait quite a while for pitching temp.

I make ice in old Cool Whip containers, also sometimes square Tupperware containers.  I find that it takes around a dozen blocks of ice, with cold water, to cool my pot from boiling to below 100 in 15 minutes or less.  Added to 1.5 gallons of refrigerated water yields low 60s.

• Like 2

Yeah I cool mine to 75 or so in the kitchen sink ice bath, takes abut 25. Otherwise it would literally take all night to cool down to a temperature I'd feel comfortable pitching yeast into.

like Rick, I make my own ice all week. I cool my wort to 65f from boiling in 30-40 min(it takes a little longer down here, during the dog days) 

To clarify, the recipe im doing says to steep the supplied grains for 10 minutes....been steeping carapils for 20 on all batches. So are you saying the supplied grains wont add body and head retention and i still need to do a carapil steep for 20 as well? Also how much carapil to steep? been steeping 1/4 lb for 2 gallon mr beer batch in 4 cups of water. Recipe im doing recommends 2.5 gallons of water for the supplied grain steep. Is the 1/4 lb carapil steep good for a 4 cup steep or for a 2 gallon wort?

You haven't said what grains you have... Crystal grains like Crystal 10, 20,... will give you what you want, just like carapils, plus color and flavor.

I would steep any grain for 20 mins. 1/4 pound is fine.

• Like 1