Mr.Beer Community
dwaynebutcher

St Patty's Day

Gotta get on that.  Just received my 3rd LBK yesterday.  I love the BBT!

• Like 1

Just getting ready to start work on some Shillelagh Stout.  Three weeks in the LBK and four conditioning in the bottles will have it ready for mid-March.  Might even use it to make my award-winning Guinness Beef Stew at some point.

Michael, that's the one I'm looking at doing as well.  And yes, please post the beef stew recipe.  My mother-in-law's bday is St. Patty's Day, so we always try do something for her.  I'm getting ready to brew an Irish red since she likes Killian's.  A nice roast made with some good stout to serve with it would be a hit, I'm sure.

• Like 1

The Shillelagh Stout is now in the fermenter.  The house smells great!   :lol:

As for the stew recipe, I'm in a rush right now but I'll be back later and get it posted.

Just getting ready to start work on some Shillelagh Stout.  Three weeks in the LBK and four conditioning in the bottles will have it ready for mid-March.  Might even use it to make my award-winning Guinness Beef Stew at some point.

This sounds amazing... might have to have the Reluctant Chef here on staff try to create something similar for our St. Patty's week food pairing recipe. Unless you wanna share  :P

• Like 1

As requested, here's the recipe for my Guinness Beef Stew.  I've made it over the years with a variety of Stouts, but it's hard to beat Guinness.

2 pounds stew beef (sirloin preferred, chuck OK)
Flour for dredging
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons butter
¼ cup canola oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cups beef stock
2 cups Guinness stout
5 carrots
4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes

Season the meat with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour. Melt butter with oil in large saucepan or a stockpot. Cook the meat in batches, 5 to 7 minutes, until evenly browned on all sides. Remove meat from pot, and cook the onions for 3 to 5 minutes, until soft. Return the meat to the pot, and add stock and Guinness. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for one hour. Add the carrots and potatoes, and cook for another 30 minutes, until the meat and vegetables are tender and the stew has thickened. Ladle into bowls for serving.  Best if made a day in advance and refrigerated overnight to let the flavors meld together properly.
Serves 6.

This is the original recipe that won a local newspaper's recipe contest in 2007.  These days I use more carrots and potatoes for a heartier meal.

• Like 5

As requested, here's the recipe for my Guinness Beef Stew.  I've made it over the years with a variety of Stouts, but it's hard to beat Guinness.

2 pounds stew beef (sirloin preferred, chuck OK)Flour for dredgingSalt and pepper, to taste4 tablespoons butter¼ cup canola oil2 medium onions, chopped2 cups beef stock2 cups Guinness stout5 carrots4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubesSeason the meat with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour. Melt butter with oil in large saucepan or a stockpot. Cook the meat in batches, 5 to 7 minutes, until evenly browned on all sides. Remove meat from pot, and cook the onions for 3 to 5 minutes, until soft. Return the meat to the pot, and add stock and Guinness. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for one hour. Add the carrots and potatoes, and cook for another 30 minutes, until the meat and vegetables are tender and the stew has thickened. Ladle into bowls for serving.  Best if made a day in advance and refrigerated overnight to let the flavors meld together properly.Serves 6.

This is the original recipe that won a local newspaper's recipe contest in 2007.  These days I use more carrots and potatoes for a heartier meal.

I've had something like this before. During a beer tasting party we had last spring. It was yummy. It went well with the guiness stout, draft, and foreign

• Like 1

dwaynebutcher, on 21 Jan 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

Everyone got their St. Patty's day stout brewing? I am pretty excited about this one. Got a recipe and can not wait. 

I got an Irish Red Ale 11 days in the fermenter, so far. Close enough? :)

• Like 1

Never celebrated it, seems to be an excuse for people to get stupid drunk. No excuse to be stupid drunk.

I use it as an excuse to brew a style I never brewed before.  SWMBO says I'm stupid, plus I do get drunk, and come to think of it:  There's no excuse for me. Your right Rick! :D

• Like 1

Well, I have never thought of myself as anything other than stupid. So, perfect!! HA. 

Actually, the SWMBO and I always go to a Mexican restaurant on March 17th and an Irish Restaurant on May 5th. Avoid the crowds that way. 

But, as Jim Johnson states, I used it as an excuse to brew a stout. Which is good for me as a new brewer!