Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brian N.

Sudden venting of PET bottles

Happened twice this week. Without warning, two bottles of my Winter Dark Ale, in the 1 liter  PET bottles suddenly vented through the caps and lost about 1/4 their volume.. The beer was brewed straight up, no additions, and fermented 3 full weeks plus a couple of days, at about 66 deg F. I primed with 1.5 tsp plain white sugar. The bottles never distorted and were conditioning about 7 weeks. at 66 deg. Funny thing is that I can see the drips down the bottle sides, but the caps are tight and the bottles are firm (but not rock hard). My guess is that the caps were used once too many times (3 or 4). Any other opinions? BTW I would think that if I had over-primed and put too much sugar, they would have blown sooner. The ones I drank already were perfectly conditioned and carbonated.

well that's what I was thinking, but after only 3 or 4 uses? I thought you'd get more I figured to exchange my caps every 5th brew. Might have to re-think that.

The PET bottles that came with my original kit never seemed to seal properly.  At least, my beer never carbonated fully when I used them.  Bought a capper and switched to glass bottles after my third batch and everything has been fine.  No bottle bombs yet, knock on wood!

That’s a weird one.

I’ve used PET caps up to 10x and haven’t had any issue.

The only thing I can think of that might cause it would be if you washed the caps in extremely hot water causing some issue with the liner/seals under the caps.

I've never heard anything like this. I guess you've got us stumped. It'll be interesting when you drink the bottles that overflowed. Let us know what they're like.

They may not have seated properly in their threads. I recommend checking the threads on the caps and bottles for any type of damage. This could result in leaking Co2.

Or, they could just have been upset at something you said, and felt it was time to vent.   <_<

• Like 2

Or, they could just have been upset at something you said, and felt it was time to vent.   <_<

You gotta watch what you say around your yeast. They're very sensitive. ;)

I am drinking one of the vented bottles now, after a couple of days in the fridge. Perfectly carbonated, great beer. Very strange indeed. Can't explain it.

I use PET bottle caps until they do not hold. I have had a few where I have had to replace caps but usually they are fine.