Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Michael Astfalk

Damaged LBK?

Just got the kit three weeks ago. LBK. Finished my first batch and then cleaned out the LBK in the sink. I turned it upside down in the sink to drain. This morning I discovered that the top was bent out of shape. Cap still screws on and is tight, but will this affect my fermenting process?

post-65405-0-33627100-1421930002_thumb.j

In short, no.  The top has notches that allow the pressure to vent out.

How did that happen?  Did you put very hot water in your LBK?  When you put it upside down, it emptied out, right?  

I did put very hot water in to get the sludge out. I only sprayed it in with the hose at our sink, continually draining it.

I then poured in tepid sanitizing solution that was left from my bottling, shook it up and let it set for a while. I drained it and turned it upside down in the sink. That is what it looked like this morning.

To me it looks like it distorted from the very hot water.  As it says on the label in your picture, Do not pour hot (140) liquid in an empty keg.  I've washed mine over and over with no issues using warm water, never hot.  There is no need for very hot water to clean an LBK.  The water from my water heater is 140 or so.  

I would say that it will be fine.  You may want to email your picture to CustomerService@MrBeer.com and see what they say, disclosing that you did put very hot water in it.

exactly what RickBeer says (man you always got the good answers ^_^ ) .. warm water is the is the hottest I go on the LBK and make sure you are not scrubbing it with something rough and harsh.  Use a soft cloth to clean it out nothing like a scrubbing pad.  You do not want to leave scratches on the inside. One thing we always love about mr.beer is the fantastic customer service they have.  Even when the user (us) do something we should not have they make us not feel stupid and help solve the problem and that creates a positive learning experience. 

• Like 1

exactly what RickBeer says (man you always got the good answers ^_^ ) .. 

Seer of all knowledge, master of my domain, ...  What honey?  I didn't do your honey-do list?  Yes dear.  I should stop playing on my computer and get something done?  Yes dear.    :lol:

• Like 4

Just got the kit three weeks ago. LBK. Finished my first batch and then cleaned out the LBK in the sink. I turned it upside down in the sink to drain. This morning I discovered that the top was bent out of shape. Cap still screws on and is tight, but will this affect my fermenting process?

As suggested above, it just sounds like the LBK got a bit warped from to hot of water.  If the lid still screws on, you should be fine.

If you are worried about it, just buy a replacement for $10 (or find a kit on clearance somewhere) and use this one as a batch priming vessel.

Our instructions recommend using warm water only (105-115 Degrees F) in addition to the sanitizer. Unfortunately, we only do refunds or replacements on items that have been damaged via shipping (only if ordered through us directly and not a 3rd party) or manufacturing defects. We will, however, work with you on getting a possibly discounted replacement if you give us a call. I would also advise that you send us an image of your damaged keg via email. Send your image and complaint to customerservice@mrbeer.com. And give us a call at 1-800-852-4263.

Josh

Our instructions recommend using warm water only (105-115 Degrees F) in addition to the sanitizer. Unfortunately, we only do refunds or replacements on items that have been damaged via shipping (only if ordered through us directly and not a 3rd party) or manufacturing defects. We will, however, work with you on getting a possibly discounted replacement if you give us a call. I would also advise that you send us an image of your damaged keg via email. Send your image and complaint to customerservice@mrbeer.com. And give us a call at 1-800-852-4263.

Josh:

I did this, only hot water from the spigot in our kitchen. 

I also had called and spoke to Debbie about this and did send a photo to the email as well as posting it here.

Debbie seemed to think that since I can still screw on the top that it will still work as a fermentor.

I'm ok with this, but if you can work out something with a discounted LBK so I can have another on hand just in case, I'd appreciate it.

Let me know.

Thanks.

Yes, Debi let me know that she spoke with you. It's true that if you can still fit the top on, it can still be useable as long as there aren't any major gaps at the lid area that may let contaminants in. The Co2 off-gassing should prevent most contaminants from getting in, but large gaps created by the warping could be an issue.

Give me a call at the number and extension in my signature and we'll see if we can work something out.

Josh,

Just curious.  Is it just an odd coincidence that the customer service number is 852-4263 and the number in your signature is 851-4263, or is one of them a typo?

Josh,

Just curious.  Is it just an odd coincidence that the customer service number is 852-4263 and the number in your signature is 851-4263, or is one of them a typo?

Thanks for catching that! LOL! I had just updated the sig the other day and I guess I put a 1 instead of a 2. No wonder no one calls me. HAHA!

• Like 2

I called, and a woman answered and asked for my credit card number in a husky voice.  I said "Josh", and she said "I can be Josh, but it will cost you extra".  

• Like 4

Just keep in mind that there are 2 Josh's here and we both comment on the forums. There's Josh B, he's the Community Manager for the forums, and there's me, JoshR.

Just keep in mind that there are 2 Josh's here and we both comment on the forums. There's Josh B, he's the Community Manager for the forums, and there's me, JoshR.

Is that like The Enemy Within?

theenemywithinhd766.jpg

• Like 1