Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
trucker

difference between pop off and twist off

Hello all

I am sure this topic has been Covered but I'm going to ask anyways what is the difference between a pop off bottle and a twist off. I ask cuz I got some Sam Adams Bottles that you need a bottle opener to open but yet I put a bottle cap on it And it twist right off now I did notice that some bottles have a threaded top some are smooth I assume that the smooth one's are pop off and the threaded ones are twist off.

Your assumption is correct that the smooth ones are pry-off caps and the threaded ones are twist-off.

so not to hijack this topic but i think its a related question...can you put a crimp on cap on a bottle that came with a twist off cap???

No you can't cause I just did it and the cap twist right off. The part that kills me is I just washed and cleaned 24 bottles then I decided to try the cap on it jokes on me it twist right off. all that hard work for nothing lol

so not to hijack this topic but i think its a related question...can you put a crimp on cap on a bottle that came with a twist off cap???

No you can't because the threads will prevent a good grip.

Posted many times.  Using search is a great way to learn.

Twist off bottles have thinner glass on the neck then do pry off  flip top bottles.  In addition, a wing capper grabs onto the neck of the bottle and pulls against it when seating a cap, which can break the neck.  

Yes, you can put caps on either type, but don't be surprised if a crimp on cap doesn't seal on a twist off bottle.  

Given how many companies bottle beer in pry off flip top bottles, there is little reason to take the risk.  

Posted many times.  Using search is a great way to learn.

Twist off bottles have thinner glass on the neck then do flip top bottles.  In addition, a wing capper grabs onto the neck of the bottle and pulls against it when seating a cap, which can break the neck.  

Yes, you can put caps on either type, but don't be surprised if a crimp on cap doesn't seal on a twist off bottle.  

Given how many companies bottle beer in flip top bottles, there is little reason to take the risk.  

By flip-top, I'm assuming you mean pry-off? Or are you actually talking about flip-off like Grolsch? Just clearing up any confusion.

I disagree with everyone else on this.  So far, about half of my bottles are twist offs and I haven't had one yet not give me a good seal.  2 or 3 months in and they're still holding pressure fine.  But I do prefer the pry off ones and am trying to phase out my twist off ones with more pry off ones.

They CAN work. Simple Google search will show you the issues and strong recommendations to not use them. Personally, I would be very annoyed to either break a bottle or have flat beer. I spent the extra $10 on a bench capper too to prevent problems.

• Like 2

Given how many companies bottle beer in pry off flip top bottles, there is little reason to take the risk.

When co-workers are giving me empty bottles and many are twist-offs... I can't really control what beers they prefer to drink.

I just bought my own bottles...they even came with free beer in 'em

You could just simplify the whole process by just removing the labels and add your own. You don't even need to empty the bottles.

• Like 1

Well, that's what I did in the long run. I use Negara Modelo bottles ('cause they're brown) and I just like the stubby bottles, also they come in their own boxes, makes storage easier.

Well, that's what I did in the long run. I use Negara Modelo bottles ('cause they're brown) and I just like the stubby bottles, also they come in their own boxes, makes storage easier.

I hate that foil around the cap 

soaks right off with oxyclean free in hot water over night. in the morning I just find the end and it pulls off in 1 piece mostly

You could just simplify the whole process by just removing the labels and add your own. You don't even need to empty the bottles.

But my beer is much better. ;)

This is so difficult, but I must admit it. It's one of those rare instances where a University of Michigan guy is right. Rick is right. Ouch! That hurt.

Last night I opened one of my beers that I bottled in a twist-off bottle and it was flat. I just had my first instance where a twist-off bottle didn't give me a good seal. One bottle of my Czech Bohemian Pilsner went down the drain.

This is so difficult, but I must admit it. It's one of those rare instances where a University of Michigan guy is right. Rick is right. Ouch! That hurt.

Last night I opened one of my beers that I bottled in a twist-off bottle and it was flat. I just had my first instance where a twist-off bottle didn't give me a good seal. One bottle of my Czech Bohemian Pilsner went down the drain.

What?  I was right?  Are you sure?  Really?  

Sorry you lost a beer to prove that a Michigan guy was right.  Betting against Michigan?

GO BLUE!   :lol: 

Take it from this guy.  Don't attempt to use bottles that aren't recommended!!!! 

I thought it wasn't a big deal.  Had a few bottles with lighter glass weight than a typical Sam Adams, etc. bottle.  Lighter, thinner glass is a problem.  I was using a bench capper with a thin bottle.  Not paying attention, as this was probably the 1,000th bottle of beer I had bottled.  Then BOOM.  I looked down at a bloody hand and a shattered bottle.  Literally had to keep my hand wrapped with a different towel every 2 mins because it was saturated.  I hurried up and bottled the rest of the beer one handed (I had like 30 left), then went to the ER.  

I still have the battle scars.  Listen to the recommendations...

• Like 4

Gotta love how he finishes bottling the beer, and only then goes to the ER.  Now that is a beer enthusiast!

• Like 3

Gotta love how he finishes bottling the beer, and only then goes to the ER.  Now that is a beer enthusiast!

That's what I call dedication to your hobbie, and knowing the value of a good beer. "Blood, schmudd. I'll still have some left when I'm finished bottling. Then we can go to the ER."

• Like 2