Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Travis Eidson

starting out

I'm as new as new can get. I ask you guys who are masters compared to me what reading material do recommend? I need to learn it all from basic terms to principles to even easy beginners recipes once I graduate from the pre packaged stuff.

Well, I would start out reading right here.  Relax with some good beer and read through the first few threads in New Brewers and FAQ.  Then continue browsing through more threads and discussions here.  It's all free and very useful information.  It's a real good start.

• Like 1

Thanks, I just get lost in the terminology sometimes. I have been reading and learned a ton on this forum, I just sometimes have no clue what you more experienced guys are talking about.

Travis,

Listen to Joe and Rick, just read and then read some more. I am only 4 weeks into the hobby and have already bought my second fermenter which now has me into my third batch (1 in bottles and two in fermenters). With time you understand what they are saying. Definitely read the forum and learn to use it's search tool, I found an answer the other night from a two year old post.

More importantly RDWHAH (Relax Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew) or as I do until my first batch is ready

RDWHACB (Relax Don't Worry, Have a Craft Beer)

• Like 3

Welcome and have fun.  This forum is a gold mine.  Great minds are here posting everyday with their knowledge.  Search around and read up.

Thanks, I just get lost in the terminology sometimes. I have been reading and learned a ton on this forum, I just sometimes have no clue what you more experienced guys are talking about.

As you read, if anything doesn't make sense, don't hesitate to ask questions here. People will be happy to help clarify. When I started out I was a pain-in-the-butt asking tons of questions. People helped me out so much it's incredible. That's how this all works. Don't be shy to ask.

Joechianti, on 22 Jan 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:

As you read, if anything doesn't make sense, don't hesitate to ask questions here. People will be happy to help clarify. When I started out I was a pain-in-the-butt asking tons of questions. People helped me out so much it's incredible. That's how this all works. Don't be shy to ask.

I ask so many questions I had 1500 posts in 3 months

I'm as new as new can get. I ask you guys who are masters compared to me what reading material do recommend? I need to learn it all from basic terms to principles to even easy beginners recipes once I graduate from the pre packaged stuff.

Keep it simple at first. Get one of the basic refills and make it. Before doing anything, read the instructions several times. Instructions isn't just the instructions for mixing up the refill. Instructions includes the bigger document from the Mr. Beer site that tells about the whole process. Pay attention to the details, like everything that touches the beer needs to be sanitized, including the can opener.

The other thing... Don't get overwhelmed with the instructions. It's really very easy. The first time or two you'll learn the process then you'll have the confidence to go for the more interesting recipes.

I ask so many questions I had 1500 posts in 3 months

Congratulations on your 4,500th post. Go have a beer to celebrate.

travis-    http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html     walks you through everything from the basics to the uber complicated stuff. between that  and the forums you can learn tons of stuff. just take things at your own pace.

NEVER BE AFRAID OR EMBARRASSED TO ASK QUESTIONS. yes, they have been answered a million times before... but brewers always seem happy to answer them anyway. it's part of the mentoring process. soon you'll be posting answers to the next batch of newbies questions. someone will ask 'so why is there all this foamy stuff on top of my beer?' and youll think back to your first experience. 'omg! I asked that! it's krausen!!!'.  then youll post a reply and so begins your journey into mentoring!

happy brewing to you!

On a side note, I've been reading old post almost non-stop since I started this thread. I sure wish I had read before I started. I may have messed up on my temps. I was in the ballpark so maybe it will be OK, if not I will know better for the next time.

worst you'll get by fermenting a little too high is cidery tastes. you can always add something like true orange or tang or something to cover it and make it drinkable, if cider isn't your thing.  make every mistake a learning experience..

• Like 1

it is reassuring to have a place to run to in a panic and get good and quick answers. i was a mess when i first started.

Travis Eidson, on 23 Jan 2015 - 10:01 PM, said:

On a side note, I've been reading old post almost non-stop since I started this thread. I sure wish I had read before I started. I may have messed up on my temps. I was in the ballpark so maybe it will be OK, if not I will know better for the next time.

never fear, you'll still have beer! (trying for an Underdog thing)