Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mcasselman

Sanitizing multiple sets of bottles with 1 no-rinse mix

Batches 3, 4, and 5 will be ready to bottle in 2 weeks. Since I will be bottling all 3 batches back to back, I was going to only mix up 1 batch of sanitzer with a 1 full package to do all 3 sets of bottles. Just wondering if everyone thinks this is ok.

Yes, that should be fine. That sanitizer goes a long way.

Agree, but there is no reason to use an entire packet.  The issue is strength - so if you mix it at the proper ration the only reason to use the entire packet would be if you are impatient and want to fill more bottles at once, versus filling what you can, waiting 10 minutes, then going to the next group of bottles.  

If you put it in an airtight container, and the refrigerator, you can then use it up to a week later, after you let it warm back up.

When I used it (now use StarSan), I would do the bottles then the next day do the LBK for my next batch.

• Like 1

Thanks, great information. Had to order another LBK last night (that will make 4 now) because I can not get this pipe line built up fast enough. Appreciate all the help.

• Like 1

The first months are painful indeed.  My third and fourth batches were my first double LBK batches.  I tried, but failed, to stay on a every three week cycle.  I think it was about 6 months in where I finally had a selection.  Maybe a year until I had 17 varieties to pick from.  Now I start shaking because I fell under 7 drinkable cases, even though a six beer week is unusual.   :lol:   Already have almost 4 cases in bottles, and another two cases ready to bottle next week with two five gallon batches right behind them, so by end of March I should be back to around 10+ cases in bottles.  WHEW!

03_turkmen-pipeline.jpeg

• Like 3

I am using the PET bottles now. I was thinking about starting to use some glass 12's or 22's pryoffs because some say they hold "aging" beer better. Do you agree?

• Like 3

I do not agree. I use both and recently drank an 18 month old PET and it was great.

I added glass as the pipeline got bigger and I outran my 16 one liter and 32 1/2 liter PET supply.

• Like 1

I am using the PET bottles now. I was thinking about starting to use some glass 12's or 22's pryoffs because some say they hold "aging" beer better. Do you agree?

If you plan on aging for long periods of time, they could be better because they won't oxidize the beer like plastic bottles will over time. Others may have had different experiences and will disagree, but I've never personally aged beer in plastic bottles for fear of oxidation so I'm still on the fence about it.

• Like 2

I recently drank a 2 year old porter from a plastic Pepsi bottle with no issue. Then I had a flat beer in a glass flip top. I usually bottle 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

• Like 1

Like I said, I don't have much experience with aging in plastic bottles, but I'm interested in hearing about other people's experiences with it.

Thanks, great information. Had to order another LBK last night (that will make 4 now) because I can not get this pipe line built up fast enough. Appreciate all the help.

That's the way to get after it! Before you know it your pipeline will be deep and you can relax a bit.

I have to wait for funding to get approved before I can think of a second batch let alone a pipeline.

Looking forward to that time Joe. Bottling and brewing 3 batches in 1 day is like work, but the payoff will be worth it.

I can't say how long you could age in a PET, but I do know around a year is no problem because I did some. I use all glass now but have no problem with PET's. The main reason I switched was I didn't always want 1 LT of beer and that's all there was back then on PET's. And you got to admit glass looks and feels a lot better.

Batches 3, 4, and 5 will be ready to bottle in 2 weeks. Since I will be bottling all 3 batches back to back, I was going to only mix up 1 batch of sanitzer with a 1 full package to do all 3 sets of bottles. Just wondering if everyone thinks this is ok.

No problem doing that. You might as well get the best bang for the buck and as long as you are doing them back to back.

My next batch will be in glass, not only looking forward to having a small variety of beer flavored, but different bottle sizes to have them in. My next batch will probably be a wheat, was thinking either 22oz or 16oz swing tops. I guess I want to build my bottle variety now and could have many sizes to choose from with future batches.

if you use a plastic btl that held a carbonated bevvie in it... there's no reason it can keep beer indefinitely without ever oxidizing... or going flat as long as the lid has a good seal. 

I do 12s, 16s, and 33.8s each batch. Need some 22s.

I really like the 22's but they're too tall to fit on most fridge shelves. I have only 1 shelf between 2 fridges that's tall enough.

I have my eye out on CL.  That's how I got a case of 16s and some 12 cases, all free.   :D

My beer frig (well, it was a beer frig until SWMBO put her extra stuff in there and took 1/3 of it) has plenty of room, I have at least six 12s of all my brews plus 1/2 dozen 33.8s.  I have more room since I can now cold crash in the fermenting freezer whereas prior to Fall I had to use 1/2 of the main frig shelf.

I usually use PET. I have had beer bottled over a year and seems not to affect it (only what can be normal aging changes) I only use glass if making some to give away. It is a pain getting PET bottles back. Except for my daughter that is, she gets a 6 pack of PET and brings back the empties. That is the rule, bring back the empties and you get to choose refills. :-).

• Like 1

Been brewing with MrBeer for over 2 years, but didn't start really enjoying it until I switched to 22-ounce glass bottles last year.  The PET bottles never carbonated properly for me (must not have sealed them tightly enough, I guess).  Fortunately, I have 4 cases (of 12) 22 oz on hand from patronizing a local brew-on-premises establishment.  One of these cases is just about perfect for a 2-gallon batch.  I've also accumulated a good supply of similar bottles from commercial brewers, which is useful because I've just bought a second LBK and the bottles are starting to fill up faster than I can empty them.