Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MnMBeer

Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist has two analogies,

I am all for throwing every thing you have in the pantry  if you are making spare ribs on superbowl sunday or new years eve beans.

The Beer process is simple but for beginners very difficult. I am one of them but trying extra hard in this Florida Climate.

LBK is stable but ambient air temperatres are near 80^ Ice is on the sides of the keg for my first batch.

Tempeature Monitoring

I put a probe into the 2nd keg for temp monitor. The 1st keg is a pilot for florida temp but hopefully has some bang.

Other thoughts were a chilled water system for salt water aquariums that circulates in the vat to cool things off. hmmmm!

Molding new ideas.!!! ;)

post-65304-0-30333400-1422050326_thumb.j

• Like 1

Mad Scientist has two analogies,

I am all for throwing every thing you have in the pantry  if you are making spare ribs on superbowl sunday or new years eve beans.

The Beer process is simple but for beginners very difficult. I am one of them but trying extra hard in this Florida Climate.

LBK is stable but ambient air temperatres are near 80^ Ice is on the sides of the keg for my first batch.

Tempeature Monitoring

I put a probe into the 2nd keg for temp monitor. The 1st keg is a pilot for florida temp but hopefully has some bang.

Other thoughts were a chilled water system for salt water aquariums that circulates in the vat to cool things off. hmmmm!

Molding new ideas.!!! ;)

Interesting ideas!

I'm in the panhandle of florida.  using a cooler or a sterilite tote insulated with reflectix.. and bottles of water works great for me.  then again, my house never gets much above 66f all year round because fat ppl such as myself have a hard time with functioning in heat.  odd that I ended up in the hell of florida.   while one could go all mad scientist on temp controls , sometimes simple is good.

I'm in the panhandle of florida. using a cooler or a sterilite tote insulated with reflectix.. and bottles of water works great for me. then again, my house never gets much above 66f all year round because fat ppl such as myself have a hard time with functioning in heat. odd that I ended up in the hell of florida. while one could go all mad scientist on temp controls , sometimes simple is good.

Simple is definitely good. I'm on the chubby side myself, and transplanted from NJ to TX, so I sympathize with you. We try to keep the house comfortable in summer without spending a fortune on electric, and the cooler with ice bottles has been working out perfectly here. I know there's more sophisticated methods out there, but I just have no need or desire when this is working so well.

my utility bill for the 8 months of hellish heat and humidity averages $270 a month (or more).  for the sometimes 4 months that it gets comfortable outside, it is about half that.  in order to be able to run the air we have to cut other corners like not using the stove as often.  may the beer gods grant me a major windfall soon. I would seriously like to actually enjoy life a little before senility kicks in or some dreadful disease.

ice bottles and coolers are way cheaper than : fridge conversions and Johnson controllers and.... etc

I have two converted dorm coolers. Enough room for 2 lbks and about 1 Case of conditioning bottles. I really need to score a regular size fridge. Good thing is, swmbo agrees with me.

Bottles only need a cooler if you cannot get them at least to 66 - 68 or so, higher is fine.

I got a big GE Profile with custom cabinet front for $75 on Craigslist (they wanted $300), it is beer frig. Freezer with controller was "acquired" from relatives and built controller for $30.

Well the old traditional method was a hole in the ground. Get it deep enough and unless you live over hot springs or something should be in 50's, so maybe you do not need quite that deep?

I have found that putting the LBK in a cooler and using the blue freezer packs allows me to maintain a temp of about 68 degrees. I use 1-2 packs and change them every 12 hours or so.

Im kinda the set it & forget it type. Thats why I opted for dorm coolers with temp control with cool & heat. Dont want to have to continually be monitoring the temps. Unfortunately, the temps down here are too hot to just leave it in a room. Then too cold every once in a while. They're in the garage. And basements? What the heck are basements?

And basements? What the heck are basements?

Where your mother in-law will live someday.  :lol:

And basements? What the heck are basements?

It's that space under the house where we ferment at 67 degrees.

• Like 1

I noticed that living here in the south...nobody has basements. You'd think, with tornadoes being so prevalent, folks down here would like a built in root cellar.  

We cant have basements down here because the water table is too high. You dig down 8 feet and you're gonna find water.

I get the costal places, but we're 300 or so miles inland, and something like 500 feet above sea level.

Has anyone tried one of the TEC type coolers, the type you plug in and, while not quite a refrigerator, the can cool the cooler. Not sure how regulated the temperature would be, assume as a basic heat exchanger it depends upon ambient air. Same technology as some of those cheaper wine rack coolers.

One person recently said he was going to.

The one I own cools to 40 degrees below the ambient temperature, so unless you put a temp controller on it that won't work.