Mr.Beer Community
DrewPsack

To stir or not to stir...

The Mr. Beer directions instruct you NOT TO STIR when you add the yeast to the wort. Yet other instructions I have read inform you to indeed stir "vigorously."

I haven't stirred any of my 3 batches yet, since I trust the actually Mr. Beer instructions. I get stirring the wort up good to get it ready for the yeast and all, but its the additional stirring to get the yeast blended that I'm curious about.

So I ask you, beer gods, is it the right thing to stir the yeast into the wort?

The Mr. Beer instructions used to say stir.  Then they were changed to not stir.

What matters is aerating the wort, which you are doing before you add the yeast.  Aerating after you add the yeast is optional.

I use a silicone wisk and aerate before, sprinkle, wait 15 minutes, then aerate again.  

We'll have to get the Brewmaster name changed to Beer Gods...    :o

Yup, used to tell us to stir, now they say don't stir. I've done it both ways and can see no difference. The change in instructions might have something to do with the new yeast packets being bigger than the old ones but that's just my speculation.

There has been much discussion around this topic.  At the end of the day, it doesn't matter as long as the yeast comes in contact with the wort.  I stir sometimes.  sometimes I just pitch yeast and it sloshes around a little when I put the fermenter into the chamber.  Never had an issue with either way.  

I believe the directions not to stir are likely to reduce the risk of contamination in case your stirring utensil isn't properly sanitized...

There has been much discussion around this topic.  At the end of the day, it doesn't matter as long as the yeast comes in contact with the wort.  I stir sometimes.  sometimes I just pitch yeast and it sloshes around a little when I put the fermenter into the chamber.  Never had an issue with either way.  

I believe the directions not to stir are likely to reduce the risk of contamination in case your stirring utensil isn't properly sanitized...

Given that the instructions tell you to stir BEFORE you put in the yeast, sanitation wouldn't be a reason.  The bigger packets is a logical reason.

Given that the instructions tell you to stir BEFORE you put in the yeast, sanitation wouldn't be a reason.  The bigger packets is a logical reason.

Let me explain my logic: 

Mr. Beer is meant for first time brewers.  Any opportunity for infection in the instructions will result in crappy tasting beer/vinegar.  That means no more sales for Mr. Beer.  Therefore, if the instructions previously said to stir the yeast, and an inexperienced homebrewer or two put their spoon on the counter (i.e. inoculated with bacteria) without thinking, and then stirred the yeast with said spoon and got an infection in the batch... Lost customer/sale.  

Removing that from the instructions will reduce the risk of customer dissatisfaction/contamination.  

Therefore, it is a logical conclusion that it could be for sanitation...

You only need enough oxygen for the yeast to consume.  I believe it was an unnecessary step that was in the instructions before and now it has been removed.