Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
epete28

CAL dressed up

I just brewed a batch of CAL, with 1lb of light DME, 1oz of Cascade pellet hops with a 10 minute boil, and S-05 yeast. Lets see how this comes out!

• Like 3

Sounds good! I'm going to be bottling my Franken-CAL ESB shortly. Tried a sample yesterday, and I'm happy with it so far. You went in a little different direction but I think you'll be pleased with the results. Spending an extra 5 or 6 bucks on ingredients can make a huge difference without bankrupting you.

I just bottled my FrankenCAL ESB, and after trying another sample I'm happy with it. My gf gave it the thumbs up, and she's still walking around so I'm pretty sure I didn't poison her. I'm not usually one to use hopped extract, but I have to say I'm satisfied with CAL as a base. I'm using it for a Bier de Garde or Saison next.

(Note, for those who were about to jump in and inform me that harmful bacteria can't survive in beer: I know that. Just kidding!)

• Like 1

I just brewed a batch of CAL, with 1lb of light DME, 1oz of Cascade pellet hops with a 10 minute boil, and S-05 yeast. Lets see how this comes out!

Nice! Sounds almost like a lighter version of Sierra Nevada. Should make a nice session ale. :)

A Bier de Garde is a good idea. I have two batches that will be ready to bottle in the next couple of days. And looking for what to do next!!

• Like 1

I'm about to do the Biere de Garde in the next day or two. Next up for me is a Scotch ale. This might be the batch where I, after years of extract brewing, finally take the plunge into all-grain. It seems a lot easier to do that now, with so much information out there about small batch brewing, BIAB, no-sparge mashing, etc. These things weren't really done very much when I first started out. Every recipe and beer kit was for 5 gallon batches, and the "why waste your time brewing less than 5 gallon batches" mindset was prevalent. It never occurred to me that scaling down the recipes would be a more versatile way to brew for average homebrewers like myself who don't want to set up a microbrewery in their garage to get good results. That "5 gallon" mindset still exists to some extent, but I don't picture myself going to 5 gallon batches any time in the near future. Besides, after a case of any kind of beer I'm ready for something different.    

• Like 1

I can't keep up with demand even brewing 5ers.  I've become a real popular individual since I started brewing.

This batch is behaving like none I've made before. 5 days in and it still has a very thick krausen going, and its a "milky" foam! Frothy even!

• Like 1

I just brewed a CAL w/ 1 pack LME smooth orange zest from 1 medium orange and 1/4 tsp ginger sampled tasted like BlueMoon.

Blue Moon is a Belgian-style wheat beer. CAL is not a wheat. Blue Moon also has coriander in addition to orange.

i tasted my cal with pale lme and 1/2 cup of honey and it was great,

Some say that honey dries out the taste...