Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
super

max and min amount of hme

iv'e looked around for this and was not able to find an answer, i'm not planning on going all "mad scientist" its kinds just out of curiosity. i know some recipes may require more i don't think some would take less, but is there a minimum or maximum amount of hme than can be used in the LBK?

thanks!

What comes in the MrB can is the minimum.  You can get a 5gal kit and use it in a 2 gal LBK by using half and putting vodka on top of what was left till you use it (in a couple weeks) and fill the LBK to the top of the Q  in "Quarts" on the back. 

Some recipes use two cans of Mr. Beer HME. The base refill cans are small, the Craft and Seasonal are much larger. Biggest is 4.3 pounds.

oh wow, that seems like a lot to me. but i'm just a beginner. I din't think it could be that much. i gotta do more reading now. that just opened a door to more questions. haha

What's your goal?  We recommend chasing flavor, not ABV.  Putting two cans of Mr. Beer HME in one LBK is an expensive proposition.  While there are a few recipes like that, they take a very long time to condition in the bottle.  

The Craft and Seasonal refills create very well balanced quality beer - and they cost more than the base refills as a result.

I would recommend brewing the refills as is, then trying some recipes, before you start making expensive batches that mostly won't be great tasting.

• Like 1

oh no goal at all, i was just curious. i have just read a lot of stuff and it was a though i had. like how much or how little of hme could be used i guess like if there was a limit.i'm sure either way it affects something. i'm still trying to learn, and i know there is still a lot i have to learn. trust me, right now, i'm just making the kits as is, will be doing that for a while. 

I am sure you could use less, but the beer would be much lighter and weaker tasting. It just depends what taste you are after. If you want to make Coors strength (but not taste) or real light beer I suppose you could take an American light and use half of it, but I really would have no interest in drinking it. The regular cans give you 3.7% beer which is fairly weak as beer goes. Take a look at some of the recipes on line at this site you will see them up to maybe 10% ABV. At the high end, you have a lot of fermentable material, so you get a lot of activity and the LBK may overflow though the gas dissipation holes. I suppose you could put so much fermentable sugars in that the yeast would die from the amount of alcohol it made, but that is a real lot and I am not sure that the result would really be beer, more like hopped wine. So those are about the 2 extremes. It seems most beers are in the 4-6% range and within that you can use 1 refill can and add dry or liquid malt, more hops and other flavorings and be quite successful.

• Like 1