Mr.Beer Community
BigSteve

First batch botlled.

Even flat, it tasted pretty good.  Now more waiting.  Tick-tock.  Tick-tock....... The day I started the batch, my wife thought it would be ready in a couple of hours.

• Like 1

You're off to a great start!  As Tom Petty once said, the waiting is the hardest part.  Once you get a good pipeline going, that ceases to be a problem.  Happy brewing!

• Like 1

Awesome! I bottled my first batch last night as well. The waiting is the hardest part haha and as you had said, my beer tasted pretty good for being flat! I already ordered my refills for my next batches too!

• Like 1

Waiting sucks.  No way around it.  It's worth it.  Take this time to do some serious research (Drink a lot of craft beer).  You can tell your wife it's in the name of science :)

• Like 1

Even flat, it tasted pretty good.  Now more waiting.  Tick-tock.  Tick-tock....... The day I started the batch, my wife thought it would be ready in a couple of hours.

What did you make for your first batch?

• Like 1

Aztec Mexican Cerveza.  It is one of the two that came with it.  I don't like Dos XX, and it tasted more like Corona the other day.  Hope that's how it tastes when it's carbonated.

Set it in the sunlight in clear bottles for a few days, then it should start tasting like Corona. lol. I never could understand why many breweries insist on packaging their beer in clear/green bottles. I guess many people like that skunky, light-struck flavor. In any case, Corona isn't representative of a Mexican beer. It's mostly a beer brewed for American tourists. Most Mexicans in Mexico don't drink it.

Here's a fun fact: Most Mexican beers were largely influenced by Viennese lagers. During the latter half of the 20th century, due to the influx of German/Austrian immigrants to Mexico, the emperor of the short-lived 2nd Mexican Empire, Maximillion I of the House of Habsburg (an Austro-Germanic ruling family.), had his own personal Austrian brewer that produced Viennese-style beers This influence can be seen in Negro Modelo, Dos Equis, and many other Mexican beers. 

• Like 2

Not a big fan of Mexican beers in general, although the Dos Equis Amber is darn good.  Which is why I waited almost two years to make the Aztec Cerveza that came with the kit my wife bought me for Christmas 2012.  When I finally did make it, it was past it's best date. So I added a pouch of Golden LME, which was also past its date.  The resulting concoction has been three weeks in the bottle, and I'm planning to try one a little early for the Super Bowl on Sunday.  It will be interesting to taste the results.

• Like 1

josh-

I think it was an Innis and gunn  scotch ale I bought.. but that was in clear bottle too.  I wonder if they do that for their exports because they figure americans are used to drinking swill and wont know the difference when they go skunky?

• Like 1

zorak1066, on 27 Jan 2015 - 04:54 AM, said:

josh-

I think it was an Innis and gunn  scotch ale I bought.. but that was in clear bottle too.  I wonder if they do that for their exports because they figure americans are used to drinking swill and wont know the difference when they go skunky?

sadly, that just may be true.

I remember in the mid/late '90's when "don't drink skunky beer" was all the rage for advertising, I thought it was just that - advertising.  I went to a bar/beer/brew seminar hosted by Pete Slosberg (of Pete's Wicked fame) where he was talking about all things beer as it relates to a bar - taps, lines, oxygenated beer, skunky beer, etc.  He sent an assistant to a local package store to get some Heineken, which he opened in front of us (we heard the carbonation fizz).  He poured some into a small glass and passed it out for each of us to smell and taste.  It smelled like a skunk!  I didn't drink green bottle beer, so I had never experienced it, but man, was it ever noticeable!  I'm not sure how people who were drinking it thought that was right.

As a side note, we got to brew a batch of beer while there (local brew on premise).  We did a brown ale, but we wanted to bump it up a little bit.  We described our desires to Pete and he looked at our recipe.  He told us what to change were and when.  We brewed it and went back two weeks later to bottle.  It did exactly what we wanted.  Right then and there, I was impressed with what a homebrewer could do with a recipe.

• Like 2