Mr.Beer Community
nsmelton42

recipe recommendations

I have just finished my first batch of the American Light.  This is my first batch of home brew.  I think it came out good. It's a little flat, just got to let carbonate longer.  I'm looking for recipes for my next batch and looking for any recommendations.  I'd like something a tad stronger than what I used but not quite a stout.  I have been reading some of the fruit recipes but would like any input from anyone on what might be the best.  Thanks for any help

Welcome!

I would skip a fruit recipe for now.  I like them, too, but the fruit disappears as yeast food and does little to flavor the beer.  As such, you'll most likely want to use a flavored concentrate at bottling.  I would recommend a deluxe refill in the style that you like as it has a soft pack of LME (liquid malt extract).  This will add body and ABV.  I would suggest the Deluxe Oktoberfest or the Deluxe Bewitched Amber Ale.  If you like IPAs, try the Deluxe Diablo IPA.

I bottled my Deluxe Oktoberfest last weekend, and the beer, while flat, was very malty, almost choclatey smelling and it tasted great.  I can't wait to open a bottle.  I just brewed Rose's Rambling Red today, and next weekend will be That Voodoo That You Do.

• Like 1

Awesome.  Thanks for the info and the help. I'm not necessarily wanting a fruit beer. Just thought It would something cool to try and taste. I will definantly keep this in mind and try one of these the next batch.  

Off subject but is there a noticeable difference in bottling with glass bottles or plastic? I have the 740ml plastic bottles but I would like to use glass, since that is the usual serving size I have with dinner, etc. I'm new so have a lot of questions i'm still pondering about after my first batch.  

Again thank you for the help

Welcome to the homebrew world! I'm with C-ya as advising against a fruit beer for your second batch. Throwing fruit Into the fermenter never comes out quite like you expect. That one will take a bit of research and obtaining flavored extracts to get a real fruit punch. (Pun intended)

As for the bottle question, no difference (stolen reply from Jim). We also realized after bottling our first batch, that we would like more, smaller bottles then a few bigger ones. We went on a "Research" mission and drank lots and lots of different styles of commercial beers (we would actually only buy pop top and not screw tops as we new we couldn't re-use screw tops). This was both fun and informative. It introduced us to new styles of beer and help with our recipe formulation. Happy Brewing!

So just to clarify on the bottling with glass.  The bottles that I save and reuse will have to be pop top bottles? Screw top bottles cannot be used and capped?

Great to know.  I have been saving my Miller lite bottles so no need for that now.

Thanks for the help guys.  

I regularly use 1/2 the Pet bottle & put back in the fridge. You get a bit less carbonation the 2nd half but it tastes fine.

On next things to brew: Any one of the craft brews or the deluxe brews. Bear in mind that the deluxe will taste less hoppy as there is now more malt in proportion. If you like hoppy aroma, you may want to add more hops too, or wait until you see how the brews are without that. I liked the Diablo with extra 1 oz Cascade hops put in in a bag for the last 7 days fermenting -  it had a great aroma. - but that all depends how much hop you like.

I think I will make the LBK IPA next, that is an easy recipe. I did not try it before.

American Ale is a good standard recipe too.

I would browse the recipes on the My B site.

I have found in general they have been a bit less hoppy than I expected  except for the Irish stout   which was much more hoppy then I expected.

If you follow the directions you can't really go wrong. I have found I got good drinkable beers but have had difficulty in finding commercial taste-alikes to reference.

Also browse the forum there is a lot of good info and many opinions :-).