Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
krabob15

Added yeast with water way too cold

Ok, so I can find a lot of guidence and information regarding pitching yeast with water temperature well above the desired range, but very little with water well below. When I added the cold water to the wort in the fermenter, the temp had come down to right around the 45 to 50F when I added the yeast. I know, I should have waited until the temp came up and unfortunately I didn't take the temp reading until after I added the yeast. I have noticed very little activity as I've patiently waited for the water temp to rise over the past 12 hours and I am now at my target of 71F, but things still look rather quiet. Will the yeast still respond properly or should I consider this batch a loss? Should I consider adding more yeast?

The yeast will respond properly.  Heat kills yeast.  Cold water puts it to sleep.  However, assuming you made a Mr. Beer batch, you should not have had this issue.  Mixing a gallon of refrigerated water with 4 cups of boiling water and a can of HME, then top off water (assuming refrigerated water again) should not have been that low a temperature.  Did you do something different?

The only potential issue here is that the wort develops an infection for sitting so long without fermentation being active, but it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY.  

Note that while you are now at 71, as fermentation kicks in you will likely climb close to 80.  If you have a room where it is like 68 or even 66, consider moving the LBK, or put it in a cooler with a frozen water bottle if the temp starts to climb.

• Like 1

Ok, thank you!. Yes, it is a Mr. Beer kit (8Lx) and it's my third batch. I use bottled spring water when I brew and in this case I had placed the bottlled water outdoors in our Michigan winter weather and the water became much colder than I thought. That's why I hadn't realized it until after the fact. I do use the cooler method for regulating temp and I can keep the enviroment under control pretty well so I should be okay. Just wanted to be sure I didn't cause any harm to the yeast. This is my St. Patricks Irish Stout, so it is a time sensitive situation if I needed to start over. I'm sure that won't happen again.

Michigan here also, just put out containers to freeze for tomorrow's brewing (5 gallon batch, need to cool 2.5 gallons).   :lol:  Probably was close to 32 degree water, instead of normal 37/38 of frig.  

I expect you will see fermentation kick in within the next 24 hours, maybe 36.  If it doesn't then you would need to be concerned.

• Like 1

If it doesn't kick in, is the remedy a visit to the brewer supply store for additional yeast?

Thank you again, information was very helpful.

Have to agree with Rick here. Odds are highly in favor of success. Just one question. Before you pitched the yeast into the 45 to 50 degree wort, how did you handle it? Did you have the packet at room temp and sprinkle it dry onto wort? Did you just take it out of fridge and sprinkle it dry? Or did you rehydrate it at 100 degrees and then add to cold wort? The first two scenarios should be safe. The third scenario would concern me due the extreme shock in temps for the yeast. Concern doesn't mean it will fail. Just means your odds are higher on first two scenarios.

• Like 2

Yes, room temperature and sprinkled dry so I hope you guys are on the mark. Sure do appreciate the feedback. Hope to see that the party started when I check it this evening otherwise i'm on to Jim's suggestion.We have an excellent brewers supply nearby so I'll give it another day before I hit them up for replacement yeast.

This evening is too soon. Probably won't have much, if any activity. 24 - 36 hours...Unless your using this as an excuse to go to the LHBS. In which case, run don't walk.   ;)

• Like 1

Yeast are hardy critters. Most likely they will perk up and do their thing. Thermal shock can damage their cell membranes, but I think your yeast are OK. 

• Like 1

All is well and the party has agressively started, It took a bit longer and matched the time frame that Jim described. Thank you all for your information and support. I plan on enjoying my Irish Stout just in time for St. Patricks Day. Cheers to you all!

All is well and the party has agressively started, It took a bit longer and matched the time frame that Jim described. Thank you all for your information and support. I plan on enjoying my Irish Stout just in time for St. Patricks Day. Cheers to you all!

I think I said 24-36 hours, then Jim did.   :rolleyes:

Glad all is well.  Wasting beer is a criminal offense.

• Like 2

No worries, might take a little longer to kick in but don't give it a second thought you'll be fine.  This is the kind of stuff I used to freak out about as well haha.

Go Blue!

• Like 1