Mr.Beer Community
fathead5f

Brand spanking new Maryland brewer

I am brand spanking new to the site and from Maryland.  I've been reading a ton on here and really appreciate the amount of information it has been really helpful.  I've already bottled the American Light and should be able to drink it this week.  I did put the Irish Stout Deluxe in the keg, hoping to have that right before St. Patrick's day.  I do have 1 quick question, does the Irish stout need extra care in comparison to the American Light?

• Like 1

Nope.

We recommend 3 - 4.  3 weeks fermenting, 4 weeks carbonating and conditioning.  See links below for good info.

• Like 1

Thank you Rick.  I saw you post that else where on the site and am planning on doing that, I just didn't know if there was anything extra like needs to be in complete darkness, different temps anything like that.  Much appreciated

I would personally let the Irish Stout recipe bottle condition longer. My personal opinion as it will taste much better the longer you let it condition. I might suggest that you do test taste one bottle after 4-5 weeks and then compare to the rest as they condition longer. Make notes on a brew sheet for each and every batch, each and every bottle until you feel comfortable with what you are brewing, drinking, etc. With the notes you can make comparisons for years to come. Like a diary with flavor!!!

Salud my friend and Hoppy Brewing for years to come 

• Like 3

welcome aboard .. former Marylander here.  after I got married I did a year in balto.

• Like 1

I live in Louisiana now but I spent my first 43 years in MD (Grew up in PG, worked in MoCo for 20 years). Where are you guys from?

• Like 1

Dwayne- I lived in highlandtown but moved to florida.  I really miss civilization! and UTZ... and the seafood... and eskay hotdogs (how bout dem o's?).. and the early morning smell of the  mccormick spice trains... crap. now I'm bummed out.

• Like 2

I live in Louisiana now but I spent my first 43 years in MD (Grew up in PG, worked in MoCo for 20 years). Where are you guys from?

Gerry, I'm going to be in NO for work in March (Pittcon).  If you are close, maybe we can meet up for a brew.  I'll be staying at Le Méridien (formerly Hotel New Orleans Downtown) on Poydras.

• Like 1

Gerry, I'm going to be in NO for work in March (Pittcon).  If you are close, maybe we can meet up for a brew.  I'll be staying at Le Méridien (formerly Hotel New Orleans Downtown) on Poydras.

Sure, give me a shout when you get here. You're going to be about a mile from my place.

• Like 1

Good deal!  I'll PM my phone number sometime between now and then.  Getting down there the 10th, leaving the 13th.

• Like 2

Nice to meet all of you, sorry I'm late to the party.  From Forest Hill Maryland, but grew up in Baltimore.  Love this town.  

• Like 1

It's the Natty Boh guy! I remember drinking that stuff at O's games at Memorial Stadium. Camden Yards has a much better beer selection.

• Like 2

I am brand spanking new to the site and from Maryland.  I've been reading a ton on here and really appreciate the amount of information it has been really helpful.  I've already bottled the American Light and should be able to drink it this week.  I did put the Irish Stout Deluxe in the keg, hoping to have that right before St. Patrick's day.  I do have 1 quick question, does the Irish stout need extra care in comparison to the American Light?

Welcome to the fun of homebrewing. 

• Like 1