Mr.Beer Community
BearHandsBrewer

twist on bavarian hme?

Ok i want to try to make a cinnamon apple graff out of this hme and some mulling spice and brown sugar. I know theres a recipie for this on the recipie page called caramel apple graff but i dont want to buy it and pay for shipping since i have a brew store nearby i can by hop sacks and other supplies. My question is how can i get the apple taste without buying the cider hme from mr beer? Any suggestions? Should i use apples?

Ok i want to try to make a cinnamon apple graff out of this hme and some mulling spice and brown sugar. I know theres a recipie for this on the recipie page called caramel apple graff but i dont want to buy it and pay for shipping since i have a brew store nearby i can by hop sacks and other supplies. My question is how can i get the apple taste without buying the cider hme from mr beer? Any suggestions? Should i use apples?

You can use store bought apple juice/cider and replace it with most of the water you're using. Just be sure it's 100% apple juice and doesn't contain potassium sorbate or sodium benzoate as these can inhibit the yeast and prevent them from reproducing/fermenting. Also, be sure it's pasteurized so you don't have to worry about contaminants. If you like, I can put together a recipe for you. Just let me know.  B)

• Like 1

I seen i could use apple juice. But heres what i wanna do. I wanna boil the four cups of water and stir in the brown sugar. Ill get the measurments from the recipie im recreating on the mr.beer website. Steep some mulling spices in a separate pot for 20 min. Add bavarian hme to the pot with the cinnamon and also some LME. Stir in then add the water from the muling spices... i think thats how you go about it.then add the water to the lbk,dump in the wort, top her off with more water. Im guessing thats how to go about it. This will be my third ever batch. I know i have been told to wait until i have more experience... but im a scientist at heart and i wanna experiment lol. Also thinking of steeping some carapils grains. I want a good head on this one. Forgive my spelling also lol

• Like 1

Looks good! Just substitute the water that you'll be using to top off the batch with apple juice. You can also use apple juice for the mulling spices, which I think would be the way to go. There's nothing wrong with experimentation. It's YOUR batch. And we're here to help you along the way. :)

The thing is i dont want it to be too cidery. I want it to be a beer drinkers beer lol.

Then be sure you're using no more than 50% apple juice/cider. The rest will be water. Also, try using a good British yeast such as Safale S-04. This can minimize the presence of any cidery flavors. I've never really had any issues with cidery flavors when making graffs. 

Otherwise, you can just do what Jim suggested and add extract at bottling. Though then it wouldn't be a "true" graff.

So i brewed it today. Took a little more time than just a usual mr beer refill of course. I went to my LHBS and bought a can of LME which made me wish i had bought DME because of the mess i had trying to measure out a pound lol. I also bought about a quarter pound if carapils grains and a few accessories like hop sacks and a funnel and a hydrometer. At my grocer i bought some mulling spices and organic apple juice with no preservatives.

So i cracked the grains and steeoed them in the hop sack with the spices at about 165 for 20 minutes and after i boiled some water and added a cup of brown sugar and mixed it in well. Flame out i added the bavarian hme and the 1lb of LME. It was a lot i didnt think i could fit it all in my LBK. After doing the normal routine i added a gallon of the apple juice to top it off. The OG was 1.054. A pretty big beer lol. So comments on my process are welcome and critiques.. just be gentle im new and this is my first brew like this.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good one! Let us know how it comes out. :)

Mr. Beer is ale yeast...

Some issues I see, but wait and see how it comes out. What temp did you pitch yeast at?

Temp of the wort... Rehydration needs to be in boiled water, then cooled...

Caution - I see the potential for "gone in April" here, a new brewer gone all mad scientist then unhappy with results and quits. I would recommend you slow down, but that's up to you.

• Like 1

I know. But i didnt spend too much on this. I spent more on the accessories i needed to brew than the ingredients. I dont give up easy rick. If it ends up undrinkable ill have learned and ill move on from there. As for the yeast.. that makes sense. Hope i didnt mess it up too bad but we will see in time.

• Like 2

I strongly suggest you look up the particular yeast that you used, and read the manufacturer's directions regarding rehydrating (fyi, most consider rehydrating dry yeast unnecessary).  Those directions specify preparation of the water, etc as well as the temperature that the wort needs to be before pitching.

Mr. Beer's instructions yield the proper temp water.  When you add more boiled ingredients - whether it be water, LME, etc, you raise that temperature.  Not measuring that temperature before you pitch is a mistake.  Adding unpasterurized apple juice is a mistake (I'm assuming the organic apple juice wasn't pasteurized) unless you boil it first (and then cool it).

While your batch may come out drinkable, may even be as intended (whatever you intended), I wouldn't take odds on it.  Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Like adding fish to a tank you don't just dump the yeast in. You acclimatize it by adding small amounts of wort slowly until the yeast is with in 10f of the wort.

• Like 1

Eh, just let it finish out.  It's not any more work to do that.

flyebrewer84, on 02 Feb 2015 - 9:59 PM, said:

Makes me just want to dump it on the lawn and move on to safer recipies...

no, let it go...for science. your out nothing but time at this point.

who knows.. might actually turn out great!   just be advised like rick hinted at, the trend is for those who go all mad scientist early on to make a really bad batch and give up.  or worse, to make several bad batches without following instructions and blame mr beer.. THEN give up.  just use this as a learning experience , see what happens... and don't expect greatness. if you end up with greatness then it makes it all the more enjoyable!

keeping fingers crossed... may the beer gods smile on your endeavor.

Zorak thank you. That makes me feel better. I wouldnt blame mr beer if it ends up bad. I didnt do some important things because i didnt research enough. We will see. The wort tastes great if anything lll. It was dripping a little because i guess i didnt tighten the spigot valve open close lever enough and dripped q tiny bit and i tried it... pretty yummy! If anything ican drink the wort! Lmao

Im waiting to see it start fermenting. Its hard to see through the LBK i have it in because for some reason its a lot darker plastic than my other LBK.

Yes, they do vary in color.  I have two light ones and two dark ones, and one of each was just purchased.  All depends on the batch when they make them I guess, how much brown they dump in the tank.

You guys are right when you say the heat goes up in the fermenter.. i had the house set on sixty and the thermometer on the fermeter was too high... had to turn the house down to fifty and put it in the room farthest from the furnace without desturbing it too much lol. Its fine now

or you could put the lbk in a coleman cooler with an ice bottle and an aquarium thermometer and control temps like that..... just takes some pre-brewing experimentation to get the control down.

once fermentation starts to slow, you'll see the temp in the lbk dropping a little.

Just an update ill be bottling this up on the 23rd.. i cant wait to see how much it fermented. the OG was 1.054 as per my notes so we will see after this weekend :). Also my oktoberfest will be done that next weekend! Wooh!

Nah nick it was just one day that it got hot on the LBK and it corrwcted afted moving it to a cooler environment. That yeast was working hard on all those sugars thats for sure

So i took a gravity sample of this recipie if i followed the formula OG-FGx131.25=ABV then this should be about 5.8% ABV. 1.054-1.010x131.25=5.775%. I think i did that correctly.

That's correct.  Only other thing to consider, but it won't amount to squat, is to adjust for temperature.  Usually changes like 5.8 becomes 5.9 or 5.7 at best.

I use the calculator at www.screwybrewer.com  

I would give this a good 6 - 8 weeks.  If it didn't get an infection (somewhat possible due to apple juice being unpasteurized and yeast being rehydrated in warm water that wasn't boiled first as was discussed prior), then the current taste may condition down/out over time.  Don't assume anything - many on this forum have been ready to toss at bottling or a few weeks into bottling and then later (sometimes months later) are shocked when the horse liquid waste turns into "an amazing beer".  Brown sugar ferments away leaving molasses which has a "licorice" taste too.

The key to this batch is what you said prior -  I didn't do some important things because i didn't research enough.

So, worse case it never tastes good and you learned.  Best case is it tastes really good and you learned.  Either way, you learned.  

It wasnt horse or rough tasting at all. Deffinitely didnt have a green or licorice taste. Im actually kinda optimistic. I bought that apple juice at a local grocer and i dont think they are allowed to sell unpasturized products. It jist said organic apple juice on the bottle. But hell thay was 3 weeks ago so i dont remember lol

Good news for those still following this thread! This beer finished yesterday and spent the night in the fridge. I just got it to abget together with friends and everyone loves it. Its not sour like my last few beers. Its a little dry but thats because of the apple juice. So if i take a little more care with this beer next time i make it it will be amazing! And i know i havent been on here but i havent given up just slowed down a lot. I have an ipa going still and the winter spiced ale. wish you guys could try it but it isnt fonna last long!

• Like 2

I think if i would have conditioned it even longer if would have been even better... but i followed my hydromoeter and used weeks instead of months... but damn... i think i miscalculated abv

It was at 5.7 abv when ibtested the fermented wort... this beer seems more like an 7 or 8 abv. mybfriends are buzzed after 1 and a half bottles

I have noticed that my brews tend to hit harder than the numbers indicate they should. My wheat ales esp.