Mr.Beer Community
RMG

wake me up sunday morning stout

I got a wild hair yesterday & put a couple bottles in the fridge yesterday afternoon. Not 4 weeks till sunday. Let them cool a couple hours. Opened them up & let my wife have the first sip. Her reaction was "wow!!!". I will definitely be making this one again. I will leave the rest alone until their time, but they are already yummy. Made a pot of coffee using 4 scoops. Used 16 ounces of the coffee as my batch priming solution. The rest went down the drain. Used smooth lme instead of robust because thats what I had. This one is a winner in my book.

I'm not following you.  

"A pot of coffee using 4 scoops" - how big a pot and how big scoops?  Usually you have to make a concentrated coffee to use with beer.  And the coffee needs to be cooled - or cold brewed.

"Used 16 ounces of the coffee as my batch priming solution".  So you put 16 ounces of coffee in the batch priming container, along with the beer, along with sugar?  Again, what was the strength of the coffee?

Going forward, you may want to look into cold steeping coffee and making the amount you need at the concentration you want for the amount of bottles.

I just made a 12 cup pot of coffee. Used 4 scoops instead of 2.5 which is what i usually use.1/8 cup scoops. Boiled 16 oz of that & mixed in the priming sugar. I did cool it down befor putting it into the slimline. I have made the irish stout with smooth lme without the added coffee, & it did not taste like this that soon, so it did make a noticeable difference. I was going off the sunday mornin coming down recipe & it says use a shot (1-1.75 oz) of espresso or strong coffee per one liter bottle. So I used that example.

Got it.  

I too added coffee, as an experiment, at bottling. I cold brewed it for 24 hours. Cold brewing is supposed to result in the least astringent result. Used 20 oz of water and 4 oz (8 tablespoons) of coffee, which I dumped into the water (that's stronger than what you did). Put it fridge, next day strained through a coffee filter. Then added an oz to 6 bottles and 1.5 oz to another 7 (planned on 6, had 1.5 oz left so did 7). I went all out on the coffee, using our everyday Maxwell House French Roast lol.gif 

That allowed me to compare bottles - 1 oz vs. 1.5 oz, to plan for the future.

• Like 1

That's a coincidence. I just bottled a stout 2 days ago. I added 1 tblsp of cold coffee per 12 oz to half the bottles. No coffee to the others. Just experimenting as I'd never used coffee before.

• Like 1