Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rokadog1

Star San question

I didn't rinse a measuring cup after sanitizing with Star San before taking a sample to measure FG. I dipped into the wort to get the sample. Did I screw up?

Roka- star san is a no rinse sanitizer so you are probably fine. Question- why are you using a measuring cup to take a final gravity ready? If your taking a f.g. Reading you are actually measuring the beer (not wort) and I assume you fermented in either your LBK or the upright fermenter. Both of those have a spigot to easily draw a sample from (then sanatize the spigot when your done)

My wife bought a kit for me for Christmas that makes 5 gal., so I'm using a pail with an airlock on it. (She thought I could do it in the LBK) I'm going to be drinking my first LBK Check Pilsner today! This other batch won't be ready for a few weeks.

You will be fine as long as the entire cup came in contact with star san.  No need to rinse.  Usually i recommend at least 30 secs of contact time.  

As far as taking a sample from a 5 gallon bucket, I actually put spigots on all of by buckets so I don't have to worry about siphoning.  If you don't want to mess with that, get a wine thief.  

Thanks Khawk and Barley. Patience is a virtue.....I don't have virtue! I will add a spigot or maybe just stay with the small batches in the LBK....

I did sanitize the measuring cup for longer than you recommended, then just shook off the liquid and headed for the wort. It was later I started worrying about contamination....(that virtue thing). If all else fails I'll read directions!

Thanks Khawk and Barley. Patience is a virtue.....I don't have virtue! I will add a spigot or maybe just stay with the small batches in the LBK....

I did sanitize the measuring cup for longer than you recommended, then just shook off the liquid and headed for the wort. It was later I started worrying about contamination....(that virtue thing). If all else fails I'll read directions!

Sounds like you're golden!  Relax, Don't worry, Have a home brew RDWHAHB!! :)

You should NOT rinse the measuring cup. No rinse means no rinse.  Rinsing removes the sanitizer, then it's not sanitized.  

I use star san. It leaves behind a massive amount of foam. Is this ok? I have assumed it is and have gone with it so far.

Right.  There is a reason people say "don't fear the foam".  Starsan is converted during fermentation and bottling and is then rendered harmless.  

yeast actually seem to like the foam of starsan. I think they might even eat it.  ive dipped bottles in starsan , upended them and left tons of foam in before bottling beer. no problems.