Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
epete28

A week in and still quite active

A week ago I brewed a batch of CAL, with a pound of light DME added, as well as a 10 minute boil of Cascade hops. I pitched a whole 11.5 oz package of US-05. It still has a krausen covering most of the surface, and with a flashlight I can still see bubbles rising. Longest I've had one stay this active.

New brewer here getting ready to brew my third batch.My next batch will be the coopers real ale . I will also be using the light DME and the us-05 in one lbk and us-04 in the other. So do you think its the us-05 that is keeping your batch to stay active this long or the combination of us-05 and the light DME ?

Keep in mind that it may not have kicked in for 36 hours.  If you want to see active, try some Nottingham yeast...

I've used US-05 before, but not in conjunction with the DME, so I dont know. I had a feeling it would be this way because it was covered in a thin layer of foam pretty early on, but it did take a couple days to "kick in" as Rick said.

What temp are you fermenting at? With the higher amount of fermentables and a lower temp, you would see extended fermenting times.  

That's not too low, as that yeast is recommended down to 59.  I would guess it is simply due to more sugars to ferment.  I've had beer ferment actively for 2 days - 3 weeks.  Sometimes the batches have their own unique ferments.  

RDWHAHB :)

When I made that ESB it was going strong after about 8 hours and didn't slow down for well over a week, close to 2. The yeast loves that additional sugar from the DME.

What is the taste difference between 05 and the standard yeast that comes with refills? Never tried a different yeast.

S-05 produces a very clean beer.  Haven't done them side by side, but it's very similar.

What is the taste difference between 05 and the standard yeast that comes with refills? Never tried a different yeast.

The yeast that comes with our kits is a great all-purpose beer yeast by Coopers. It's good for pretty much any recipe and it has a great temperature range so it's easy for beginners. It produces a complex woody, fruity beer at warm temperatures and is more heat tolerant than other strains.

Now if you DON'T want your beer to have some yeast character, skip the Coopers and go with US-05 and ferment between 60 and 65 degrees, it will come out nice and clean for you. Like Rick said, S-05 is a very clean fermenting yeast. It's really great in beers where you really want your hops to shine like pale ales and IPAs.

• Like 1

I am a fan of Safale S-33. Never had a stalled fermentation and great attenuation. A very clean versatile yeast if i must say so myself.

Another comment to OP is you used twice as much (not a bad thing) as really needed and I sometimes do this same thing as I yeast wash a lot anymore...taught be the best, JoeChianti.

Good fortunes Epete28 and Brew On.

Salud my friends